SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

I'm glad someone actually took the time to read the posts. Two things I think we need to hang #8 - First - he ability to adjust our game plan - when teams scout us, they seem to be able to bottle up our transition game. We need to be prepared for this. Second - we need to have our goalie steal one instead of it happening to us. A key element in our 1-5 frozen four record under Hak is goalie play.

Hey, Irish, we agree too! I said during the '11 Michigan game that the TV time-outs seemed to frustrate UND...and it showed. The Sioux need to be prepared to deal with things that will happen during the game...perhaps stuff you don't have to deal with in the regular season. Lengthy time-outs, teams bottling up transition, changing from dumping the puck in on the PP to carrying it in when it's obvious the dump-and-chase isn't working...totally agree with you.

Second point on the goalie...how about a tournament goalie just showing up ready to play? Giving up 6 to BC three times followed by a 6 spot to UNH in the 2009 regional. 2010-2013 has been better, but I still agree with your assessment.

Me neither....each year I thought "this is the year". It's odd we didn't get lucky any of those years. I was spoiled.....the first two frozen fours I went to the Sioux won it all. Ever since it has been heartache. You know, I think it's worse given the fact we made it so close those years. Had we not made it, it probably wouldn't hurt as bad.

I really thought the Brock Nelson-miracle 6-3 winners over the Gophers at the FF team was going to be the cinderella story...until I saw the regional bracket come out a day later. Buzzkill.

I have heard this line aimed at me and others several times and it is generational chauvinism. I am 39, grew up with the 1980's teams and went to UND during the 1990's teams. I work hard at everything I do and expect excellence and feel disappointed whenever I cannot achieve it. So there goes your "the kids don't get it" logic.

No personal offense taken. :)

39?! Sorry, you're still a "kid".

UND has won 13 NCAA tournament games under Hakstol. No one other than BC has more than 8 NCAA tournament victories in that time.

I'm not in the "fire Hak" group, but none of what you write addresses everyone's issue with Hak's teams..... I'll get to work on ordering those participation banners.

• Upvote 1

I'm not in the "fire Hak" group, but none of what you write addresses everyone's issue with Hak's teams..... I'll get to work on ordering those participation banners.

... and what are those issues again? Schlossman has pointed out time and again what fans think and what the numbers point out, and people are going to still find issues. I guarantee you that when Hakstol wins one, the same fans that are o.k. with Duluth's record because they won a National Championship, will not have the same mercy on Hakstol if they have a losing record or don't make the tournament. Another thing I will guarantee you is that most of us will be here to remind them that an NCAA Championship is in the bank, and they shouldn't be complaining. And if you think Hakstol can't get it done and will only hang participation banners, why aren't you in the "Fire Hak" crowd?

You're just trying to start something with the annoyingly redundant "participation banners" crap, it's been played out.

What I believe 'SJHovey' is trying to get to is the 13 wins, not 13 one-and-done tournament appearances. Point being, every game in the tournament is the biggest game of the season up to that point. Hak has come away victorious in these scenarios 13 times, that's not just participating.

First, I don't think that "everyone" has an issue with Hakstol's teams. In fact, I don't even think it's a majority.

That said, what I have tried to convey in my posts is that during the past 9 seasons, covering Hakstol's tenure as UND head coach, precisely one NCAA Division I hockey coach has had more success than Dave.

We can sit here and bemoan the fact that we haven't had BC's success during this past decade. But when you sit and think that there is one, and only one hockey coach who has been even arguably more successful during this same timeframe, I think it's kind of silly that there are enough UND fans unhappy enough to keep this argument going. Just my two cents.

You're just trying to start something with the annoyingly redundant "participation banners" crap, it's been played out.

What I believe 'SJHovey' is trying to get to is the 13 wins, not 13 one-and-done tournament appearances. Point being, every game in the tournament is the biggest game of the season up to that point. Hak has come away victorious in these scenarios 13 times, that's not just participating.

I don't care what anyone anyone says.....you get to the frozen four 5 times in 7 years (or whatever it was) you should win at least once. The fact we got there so much speaks a lot about the types of players we bring in, however, it is all about how you play in those big games. Many times UND has laid eggs, however, sometimes we simply got unlucky (Michigan game). Either way, they have to find a way to play in those big games. After awhile you cannot blame the players because they are making it far every year....what is the excuse after the 4th loss, or the 5th? I am simply playing devil's advocate here.

First, I don't think that "everyone" has an issue with Hakstol's teams. In fact, I don't even think it's a majority.

That said, what I have tried to convey in my posts is that during the past 9 seasons, covering Hakstol's tenure as UND head coach, precisely one NCAA Division I hockey coach has had more success than Dave.

We can sit here and bemoan the fact that we haven't had BC's success during this past decade. But when you sit and think that there is one, and only one hockey coach who has been even arguably more successful during this same timeframe, I think it's kind of silly that there are enough UND fans unhappy enough to keep this argument going. Just my two cents.

I don't mean to be a d..k, however, in my mind there have been 9 coaches who have had more success in each one of those years....by actually taking home a national championship. But you are correct if you are happy about making it to the tournament and being one of the top programs in the country year in and year out.....which we definitely are. I am somewhere in the middle. I spit out all the facts about Hakstol's success to my goofer buddies all the time. But at the same time....it's been a long time since we've won one. I don't want to end up like Michigan.....having all our natty's being 50 years old or more.

• Upvote 1

I don't care what anyone anyone says.....you get to the frozen four 5 times in 7 years (or whatever it was) you should win at least once. The fact we got there so much speaks a lot about the types of players we bring in, however, it is all about how you play in those big games. Many times UND has laid eggs, however, sometimes we simply got unlucky (Michigan game). Either way, they have to find a way to play in those big games. After awhile you cannot blame the players because they are making it far every year....what is the excuse after the 4th loss, or the 5th? I am simply playing devil's advocate here.

Why does there have to be an "excuse"? We just got beat. Sometimes we may have been the better team. Sometimes we weren't? Either way, the other team scored more goals.

Why did we not win in '98? We had the great Dean Blais, who knew how to get players to play big in big games. We had the exact same team we had in '97 when UND won the whole thing, except now the team had another year of experience, including championship game experience? And how about '99? Still the same team, but this year they were upperclassmen.

You get those answers for me, then I'll give you your "excuse" as to why Hakstol hasn't won in his trips to the Frozen Four. I also guarantee you a very fine career as a consultant for college hockey coaches.

• Upvote 1

I don't mean to be a d..k, however, in my mind there have been 9 coaches who have had more success in each one of those years....by actually taking home a national championship. But you are correct if you are happy about making it to the tournament and being one of the top programs in the country year in and year out.....which we definitely are. I am somewhere in the middle. I spit out all the facts about Hakstol's success to my goofer buddies all the time. But at the same time....it's been a long time since we've won one. I don't want to end up like Michigan.....having all our natty's being 50 years old or more.

We went 17 years between #2 and #3, and we were really crappy during a great portion of that time. Like Anchorage kind of crappy. Heck we went 10 years between #5 and #6. The 13 year "drought" we're on now isn't that terrible. In fact, since we've won 7 titles in something like 65 years of UND hockey, our average "drought" is 9+ years anyway.

We'll just have to disagree about 9 other coaches having more success.

I really thought the Brock Nelson-miracle 6-3 winners over the Gophers at the FF team was going to be the cinderella story...until I saw the regional bracket come out a day later. Buzzkill.

I knew I was going to Tampa the moment those brackets came out, never a doubt. I had the same feeling in 2007 after Wheeler's goal, I knew UND would get us back in the regional.

Now back to the most ridiculous thread in history of message boards. :)

• Upvote 1

Hey, I totally get it, and I don't take personal offense to anything most folks write here, including you. I don't think I slept for a week after the Sioux regional loss to UNH a couple of years ago...and the Yale loss...and the three BC Frozen Four losses...

I hear yah, even tougher to have watched it live and literallyhave happened right in front of you.

But at the same time....it's been a long time since we've won one. I don't want to end up like Michigan.....having all our natty's being 50 years old or more.

Michigan's 7th title was in 1964...8th in 1996, 9th in 1998. 96 and 98 aren't that stale.

I knew I was going to Tampa the moment those brackets came out, never a doubt. I had the same feeling in 2007 after Wheeler's goal, I knew UND would get us back in the regional.

Agree...I knew I wasn't going to Tampa when I saw the regional brackets that year. And in 2007 when that Wheeler goal happened right in front of us at the X, I waited until the regional brackets came out and booked my flight to Denver to watch UND get payback. Didn't look like the matchup would happen as JP couldn't stop a beach ball early on vs. Michigan.

I'm sure that no one, including those of us posting in this thread, want to see UND win a national championship more that Dave himself.

People have referenced Doug Woog. He went what, 14-15 years at Minnesota. Never won a championship. Had some great teams. Some heartbreaking losses in the NCAAs.

We can mock him, but the guy is a beloved figure in U of M hockey, even without the championships. And that's because people remember the great teams. The joy of winning, of having a top program, of competing for national titles if not actually winning them.

That's what I try to do. We all want to see UND be champion again. But I also get great joy out of seeing top notch hockey. I had a great time at each of the Frozen Fours that we've lost under Hakstol. The Final 5's are the highlight of my spring each year.

When the program stops competing. When we don't get to Minneapolis/St. Paul for the conference tournament. When we're posting sub-.500 records. When we don't get into the NCAAs playing at a high level. Then, that's the time to start the discussion about going a different direction. In my opinion, not before.

... and what are those issues again? Schlossman has pointed out time and again what fans think and what the numbers point out, and people are going to still find issues. I guarantee you that when Hakstol wins one, the same fans that are o.k. with Duluth's record because they won a National Championship, will not have the same mercy on Hakstol if they have a losing record or don't make the tournament. Another thing I will guarantee you is that most of us will be here to remind them that an NCAA Championship is in the bank, and they shouldn't be complaining. And if you think Hakstol can't get it done and will only hang participation banners, why aren't you in the "Fire Hak" crowd?

Frozen Four record of 1-5. I didn't say I don't think Hakstol can get it done, but he hasn't gotten it done to this point. I believe he will get one eventually and he puts a solid team on the ice each year, thus, I'm not in the fire Hak group. Just because I don't think he should be fired doesn't mean I agree with the garbage spewed by those who believe Hak can do no wrong. The participation banners are for those 13 wins SJ was touting.

If he's going to tout 13 tournament wins and a 1-5 Frozen Four record and act like it's something to be admired, then we should have participation banners to show our appreciation for those 13 wins. Perhaps the banners can note that we won 1-2 tourney games each of those years.

You deflect by pointing out not everyone has an issue with Hak's teams when it's quite obvious who I was talking about when I said "everyone" (everyone on the "fire hak" wagon). The success of Hak compared to every other coach really depends on how success is measured. I was under the impression success at UND was measured in championships.

I hear yah, even tougher to have watched it live and literallyhave happened right in front of you.

As they were reviewing that play to see where the face-off should be, I said that if it's in the zone, i guarantee a UNH goal. You could just sense it.

I wonder how long the "Fire Red Berenson" thread is on Michigans fan forum!!!

what will be your feeling when you find out Minny and UND are in the same region this year?

I know the exact feeling Mariucci! I was celebrating as hard as anyone when we had that amazing comeback in the Five. However, once those brackets came out I just knew MN would have it in for us & I hardly ever think this(I'm a biased Sioux fan, what do you expect). I was at the regional final at the X and was hardly even surprised when we lost, but the silver lining is that team really outperformed what most thought was possible.

Since then, I've learned that no matter how big the game seems unless you're ending the team's season, don't get ahead of yourself :).

As they were reviewing that play to see where the face-off should be, I said that if it's in the zone, i guarantee a UNH goal. You could just sense it.

to make that feeling even worse I was sitting next to Duncan's parents and to see the expression ontheir faces knowing this was his last game at UND was not good.