SiouxSports.com Forum

Know we know the price to lose

fightingsioux08

Read the following:

http://www.1500espn....state_law032113

Basically State Representative Ryan Winkler (DFL-Golden Valley) is introducing a bill that would fund UM $800,000 from the state's general funds every year they play us (just once is required).

We can make jokes about this for years:

We know the price for the Gophers to lose a game.

Plus we can make fun of the Bison fans, since NO ONE but them think its a big deal that UM won't play them anymore. No one is paying money to save NDSU on their schedule...

Good first post, huh:)

edit- oh no, I had a typo in the subject title, and don't know how to change it:(

This artice was in the paper last week. This version leaves a few items out. The representative basically said the bill is a bit in jest. He also stated that he is a member of the finance committee which decides allocations to the Universities...a not so subtle hint that it may be in the best interest for the U of M to get UND back on the schedule sooner rather than later...

Just another goofer sport going into meaningless obscurity

Although everyone I talked to down there this weekend (goof that is) said they were not happy about the whole pig 10 deal

Because not having UND on the schedule for one weekend a year sends any program into meaningless obscurity...get over yourselves! lol

Because not having UND on the schedule for one weekend a year sends any program into meaningless obscurity...get over yourselves! lol

No....many gopher fans I talked to were scared as hell about the move to the big ten. This is the obscurity he and many of your fans mentioned possibly happening.

Every big ten sign was made by gopher fans this weekend.

If you were a baseball player, you would be Pete LaCock...(yes, that is actually a real player)

I don't see that law passing.

The bill was "tongue in cheek". It was a shot at Minnesota's football program and administration for paying $800k to get out of two games against North Carolina. The proposed legislation is a joke (literally). So don't read into it.

No....many gopher fans I talked to were scared as hell about the move to the big ten. This is the obscurity he and many of your fans mentioned possibly happening.

The idea that the Big Ten, which btw is the most famous and powerful collegiate conference in the nation, will be more obscure than the WCHA is crazy. No one outside of college hockey circles have even heard of the WCHA.
  • Upvote 1

The idea that the Big Ten, which btw is the most famous and powerful collegiate conference in the nation, will be more obscure than the WCHA is crazy. No one outside of college hockey circles have even heard of the WCHA.

You have to be kdding me...besides this year's basketball conference the Big10 has been terrible in pretty much every sport for the past 7-10 years. Their football conference is barely above terrible. Any top SEC teams play any of the top Big10 football teams it gets ugly from the very first whistle.

You have to be kdding me...besides this year's basketball conference the Big10 has been terrible in pretty much every sport for the past 7-10 years. Their football conference is barely above terrible. Any top SEC teams play any of the top Big10 football teams it gets ugly from the very first whistle.

The Big Ten network has made the conference richer and more powerful than any other conference. Im not just talking about on field performance.

The bill was "tongue in cheek". It was a shot at Minnesota's football program and administration for paying $800k to get out of two games against North Carolina. The proposed legislation is a joke (literally). So don't read into it.

Your right, the author of the bill stated as much. He also made a point of saying he was on the finance committee that gives financial aid to Minnesota universities. Why would he say that? As I stated before, the bill won't pass, but the author of the bill was basically telling the University that they should rethink their decision about not playing UND.

You are a big gopher fan, you know that the poster wasn't only referring to losing UND, it is about the move to the 6 team weak conference in general.

You are joking, right? Besides, if the Big Ten were seen as a power conference, the U of MN-Twin Cities has NOTHING to do with it. In fact, your school has to be hated by other power players in the conference for sucking so bad. You are the Alaska Anchorage of the Big Ten, and you know it.

• Upvote 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way the Big Ten conference can grow beyond the 6 teams is for another big ten school to suddenly decide to field a hockey team, right? I would think think that would be a real handicap to growing that league beyond the 6 teams.

You are joking, right? Besides, if the Big Ten were seen as a power conference, the U of MN-Twin Cities has NOTHING to do with it. In fact, your school has to be hated by other power players in the conference for sucking so bad. You are the Alaska Anchorage of the Big Ten, and you know it.

IF the Big Ten was seen as a power conference? I know you guys hate the Big Ten because of the whole hockey thing now but you're all delusional when it comes to the power and prestige of the conference.

Yeah I'm sure Minnesota hockey will become obscure because we stopped playing the Omaha's, Bemidji's, and Anchorage's of the world and started playing Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State. :silly:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way the Big Ten conference can grow beyond the 6 teams is for another big ten school to suddenly decide to field a hockey team, right? I would think think that would be a real handicap to growing that league beyond the 6 teams.

Correct. I suppose they COULD add hockey only affiliates, but that is just a guess. You have a great point, because whoever decides to join will be a brand new program (weak as hell!) The strength of schedule is already going to be an issue with the current members.

I feel dirty sticking up for UM, but to think there is nothing more to the conference power and the realignments than athletics is just delusional. Minnesota is highly regarded across the board. Try and figure out what Maryland and Rutgers added to the B1G. It definitely wasn't based solely on athletic performance. Probably not even in the top 2-3 reasons.

IF the Big Ten was seen as a power conference? I know you guys hate the Big Ten because of the whole hockey thing now but you're all delusional when it comes to the power and prestige of the conference.

Yeah I'm sure Minnesota hockey will become obscure because we stopped playing the Omaha's, Bemidji's, and Anchorage's of the world and started playing Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State. :silly:

Even if I am not giving the Big Ten enough credit as a whole, my point about the UMN-TC program bringing it down in stature is spot on.

The Big Ten network has made the conference richer and more powerful than any other conference. Im not just talking about on field performance.

There is a big flaw in this logic. Putting BTN money above on-field performance is short-sighted. If the Pig 10 doesn't perform well compared to other conferences and doesn't have good, strong intra-league competition, all that money isn't worth much. And in the long-run, if the on-field product sucks, the TV money will dry up. This 6-team BTHC is going to be a joke and most of your fellow Gopher fans understand this. It's too bad you don't.

This 6-team BTHC is going to be a joke and most of your fellow Gopher fans understand this. It's too bad you don't.

I've disagreed with Gopher hockey fans about this since it started and I believe they are being very short sighted. The idea that the Big Ten will be a bad hockey conference is obsurd. It has 3 of the very best programs of all time, not even the NCHC can say that. It has the most NCAA titles of all time. The NCHC will be deeper yes with 8 teams but the Big Ten will be a VERY good hockey conference year in year out.

• Upvote 1