SiouxSports.com Forum

Know we know the price to lose

fightingsioux08

Ohio State will just never care about hockey. Putting their home playoff series in their practice rink speaks volumes when they could have played in the Blue Jackets facility.

I just looked up what was in their main rink that they got booted out for......the Ohio State girls basketball tournament.....

Ohio State will just never care about hockey. Putting their home playoff series in their practice rink speaks volumes when they could have played in the Blue Jackets facility.

I just looked up what was in their main rink that they got booted out for......the Ohio State girls basketball tournament.....

UND has had to move hockey games around in the REA to host the North Dakota state hockey tournament. The contract was probably signed many years ago. Hosting the girls basketball tournament doesn't prove anything.

UND has had to move hockey games around in the REA to host the North Dakota state hockey tournament. The contract was probably signed many years ago. Hosting the girls basketball tournament doesn't prove anything.

Moving their home playoffs to a facility that holds only 1,000 people doesn't prove anything? Ohio State doesn't give a rats rear end about hockey.

UND adjusts their schedule, but still plays in their facility.

• Upvote 1

Moving their home playoffs to a facility that holds only 1,000 people doesn't prove anything? Ohio State doesn't give a rats rear end about hockey.

UND adjusts their schedule, but still plays in their facility.

The fact that their facility was scheduled to host a girls basketball tournament doesn't prove anything about their hockey program. Changing from basketball to hockey takes quite a while, at the Ralph it takes at least 4-6 hours each way. So it would be almost impossible to host a basketball tournament and 2 or 3 hockey games in the same weekend.

My guess is that the choice then became use the practice facility that holds 1,000 people, or use a professional arena that holds 18,000. Using 25-30% of the seating would make for a very sterile atmosphere. My guess is that they chose the better atmosphere. And is it possible that the big arena wasn't available for all 3 potential games? The league may want them to use the same facility for all games for consistency, so if the big arena had something scheduled for one of the days the league might have told them not to use it. You are jumping to conclusions if you are basing your opinions on the simple fact that they were displaced from their arena for a weekend.

The fact that their facility was scheduled to host a girls basketball tournament doesn't prove anything about their hockey program. Changing from basketball to hockey takes quite a while, at the Ralph it takes at least 4-6 hours each way. So it would be almost impossible to host a basketball tournament and 2 or 3 hockey games in the same weekend.

My guess is that the choice then became use the practice facility that holds 1,000 people, or use a professional arena that holds 18,000. Using 25-30% of the seating would make for a very sterile atmosphere. My guess is that they chose the better atmosphere. And is it possible that the big arena wasn't available for all 3 potential games? The league may want them to use the same facility for all games for consistency, so if the big arena had something scheduled for one of the days the league might have told them not to use it. You are jumping to conclusions if you are basing your opinions on the simple fact that they were displaced from their arena for a weekend.

I think Wilbur's point might be that Ohio State could have foreseen this being issue ahead of signing a contract for the girls basketball tourney. I mean, how many times has UND hockey played at their practice rink because of a conflict? And in the playoffs nonetheless? In my opinion, it just does not present Ohio State hockey as a priority but more of an afterthought with scheduling but I may be missing something too.

I think Wilbur's point might be that Ohio State could have foreseen this being issue ahead of signing a contract for the girls basketball tourney. I mean, how many times has UND hockey played at their practice rink because of a conflict? And in the playoffs nonetheless? In my opinion, it just does not present Ohio State hockey as a priority but more of an afterthought with scheduling but I may be missing something too.

The UND women's team has been forced to play in the practice facility because of conflicts with ND state hockey and UND men's hockey. And at UND they didn't have to worry about changeover to basketball. You don't know how long ago those contracts were signed, it could be a 10 year contract. Did the CCHA have their schedule set that far out? Did they change their schedule? Also, it was a conference event. How much did the league get involved in the decision? You are making assumptions without a lot of information.

The UND women's team has been forced to play in the practice facility because of conflicts with ND state hockey and UND men's hockey. And at UND they didn't have to worry about changeover to basketball. You don't know how long ago those contracts were signed, it could be a 10 year contract. Did the CCHA have their schedule set that far out? Did they change their schedule? Also, it was a conference event. How much did the league get involved in the decision? You are making assumptions without a lot of information.

Here's some information for you: Ohio State drew approximately 2,000 fans for their three-game series with Ferris State. Not per game, for the entire weekend! It's probably a GOOD thing that the Buckeyes used their practice rink.

Having attended the 2005 Frozen Four, I can honestly tell you that Joe Six Pack in Columbus had NO CLUE that the men's ice hockey tournament was in town...but he could tell you the exact second that OSU spring football practice started that weekend.

• Upvote 1

Here's some information for you: Ohio State drew approximately 2,000 fans for their three-game series with Ferris State. Not per game, for the entire weekend! It's probably a GOOD thing that the Buckeyes used their practice rink.

Having attended the 2005 Frozen Four, I can honestly tell you that Joe Six Pack in Columbus had NO CLUE that the men's ice hockey tournament was in town...but he could tell you the exact second that OSU spring football practice started that weekend.

Ding ding ding! And that will always be the case no matter which conference those hockey teams play in. In general the majority of people from Ohio no nothing about the game of hockey...except that when they catch a Blue Jackets game they may get to see a fight...which they again will not understand (why ifs apart of the game). Those fanbases no nothing about college hockey because they don't understand the game...and the majority of the people in those areas never will.

• Upvote 1

I just think that moving your season's on the line playoffs to a facility that only holds 1,000 people with the knowledge that that would be enough to host the event speaks volumes.

We all have our opinions. I just don't think Ohio State cares.

• Upvote 1

I just think that moving your season's on the line playoffs to a facility that only holds 1,000 people with the knowledge that that would be enough to host the event speaks volumes.

We all have our opinions. I just don't think Ohio State cares.

I will back you all the way on this one Wilbur. Folks who think OSU hockey will draw 7,000-10,000 per game at home next year are sadly mistaken.

• Upvote 1

I will back you all the way on this one Wilbur. Folks who think OSU hockey will draw 7,000-10,000 per game at home next year are sadly mistaken.

Totally agree. Just wondering.......if Gopher football/basketball ever become "good", will Gopher hockey still be number one at the U (assuming it is now)?
  • Upvote 1

Totally agree. Just wondering.......if Gopher football/basketball ever become "good", will Gopher hockey still be number one at the U (assuming it is now)?

The day gopher hockey takes a back seat to basketball or football in Minnesota will be a sad day. Would love to hear a gopher fan chime in on this one.

• Upvote 1

I don't think anyone here has said that OSU will be averaging those types of numbers next year or in the next few years even. All that's been said is that the Big Ten Hockey conference will be a top three conference with the potential to be #2 or even # 1. They have the money to do so. Currently only half the teams have the fan base in hockey but that can be built.

The day gopher hockey takes a back seat to basketball or football in Minnesota will be a sad day. Would love to hear a gopher fan chime in on this one.

I'm interested in the opinion of our UM posters on this as well. Going by straight attendance numbers, one could already argue that hockey does take a back seat to basketball. The hockey team averaged ~9500 fans last year. The basketball team is around 11,800. http://www.ncaa.org/...ball attendance

I do not follow either program so it would be interesting to see what U of M fans say...

Well, OSU is already half way to those numbers. They averaged 4,004 per game this year. That ranked 19th in Division I. And it's a little bit more than what they averaged in the playoffs, which makes me think there is more to the story. Having more games at home against more well known schools is not going to hurt them. Maybe it will help push them to 5,000+ next year. The Ohio State athletic department has more money than any school other than Texas. Hockey isn't ever going to be their number 1 priority, but they can be successful without putting any stress on the department. They may be the weakest, or second weakest program in the new Big 10 hockey conference, but even in their current condition they are stronger than more than half of the other hockey programs in the country. Imagine what they could be if they start to care even a little bit.

Having a child who has attended Minnesota, I can tell you that student tickets are far more difficult to get for Men's Basketball than Men's Hockey. I remember buying the student season tickets, they told me at the window that if my kid wanted to go to basketball during the season, they had better get season tix or they my not get in for many games while we could by hockey tickets by the game as they are nearly always available. True story, and even raised my eyebrows.

Don't get me wrong hockey is big in Minnesota, but basketball is bigger, as every little town has a basketball team, not all have hockey teams. Certainly, the State High School Hockey tournament has a certain pinache, but when the Gopher basketball team is remotely decent the state really latches on.

Ohio State is a sleeping giant and moving to the Big Ten will help that program a LOT and they have a very good coach and a great arena. You dont think they will recruit better players now that they're in the Big Ten instead of the CCHA? Penn State is not nearly as far behind as you think they are. They won at Wisconsin when UW was playing very well, they also won at Michigan State and beat Ohio State. Just like everyone else you are being short sighted.

Does this mean Penn State won't have to play D3 or ACHA teams anymore?

Wrong on both counts here Wilbur. The Gopher hockey team is still a niche sport here...media and fans give far more coverage to basketball and football than hockey.

The Ohio State athletic department has more money than any school other than Texas. Hockey isn't ever going to be their number 1 priority, but they can be successful without putting any stress on the department.

If you think Urban Meyer will allow one dime to go towards developing or improving men's ice hockey over football, well, you're just wrong.

If you think Urban Meyer will allow one dime to go towards developing or improving men's ice hockey over football, well, you're just wrong.

The Ohio State athletic department is making so much money that Urban Meyer wouldn't even notice if they doubled (or quadrupled) the hockey program budget. The football team gets everything they want, they aren't taking things away from football to give to hockey.

ATHLETIC BUDGETS

Total Revenue (millions)

1. Texas $163

2. Ohio State $142

3. Michigan $129

4. Alabama $124

5. Florida $120

6. Louisana State $114

7. Penn State $108

8. Auburn $106

9. Oklahoma $106

10. Tennessee $106

Total Expenses

1. Texas $129

2. Ohio State $116

3. Florida $111

4. Tennessee $106

5. Michigan $101

6. Wisconsin $100

7. Alabama $98

8. Oklahoma $98

9. Auburn $96

10. Louisiana State $96

Source: U.S. Department of Education

They made a PROFIT of $26,000,000 on athletics in 2011-2012. This isn't a program like UND where they have to fight over precious resources.

They made a PROFIT of $26,000,000 on athletics in 2011-2012. This isn't a program like UND where they have to fight over precious resources.

And in 2010, Buckeye men's hockey generated less than $939,000 of revenue...but expenditures came to almost $2.6 million. How much more do you think Buckeye U can throw away before the men's hockey team turns a $20 net profit?

You seem to have a fondness for Ohio State...don't you post on buckeyesports.com as 86BuckeyeGuy? JK.

Gopher hockey is the third most popular sport on campus behind football and basketball without question.

That's what I've thought and what I've heard. Big Ten Hockey, despite what many people on here say or want to believe, will be a top 3 with the potential to be #1 or #2 in hockey. The world revolves around money and college athletics is no different. The Big Ten schools have more money than schools in any other conference...just depends on how much each school wants to invest in the sport. UM, UW, Michigan, Michigan State all have a solid hockey tradition. I don't expect PSU and OSU to automatically become powerhouses in hockey, but those other four won't be going anywhere...and I believe their programs will get stronger by being in the Big Ten because their schedule will be more friendly to the casual fan who doesn't have alot of college hockey knowledge.

And in 2010, Buckeye men's hockey generated less than $939,000 of revenue...but expenditures came to almost $2.6 million. How much more do you think Buckeye U can throw away before the men's hockey team turns a $20 net profit?

You seem to have a fondness for Ohio State...don't you post on buckeyesports.com as 86BuckeyeGuy? JK.

Consider hockey a loss leader for them. They don't need to make a profit on hockey, they are already making $26,000,000 in profits. Pretty soon the University (or the state) are going to want to take money away from them. So they support other sports that might lose money. They don't need to make money on hockey like UND does. They can spend as much money as they want without hurting anything.

The point is that Ohio State has the ability to have a great hockey program, and the Big Ten Conference might be the incentive they need to improve the program. I'm not really a big Buckeye fan (although I like them better than Michigan). I do respect their athletic department capabilities. But you really do seem to have a problem with them.

The Big Ten has the most money of any hockey conference...just depends on how much they want to invest into the sport. UM, UW, Michigan, Michigan State all have a solid hockey tradition.

Michigan State's program is a complete mess right now...Wisconsin's late-season run is all fine and dandy but attendance there is down and fans do not especially care for the current style of play...Penn State's football sanctions are most certainly going to affect hockey...we've discussed OSU at-length already...which leaves Minnesota and Michigan as the cream of the crop.

I predict exactly ONE NCAA hockey bid next season...unless the playoff winner is someone not named Minnesota.

The point is that Ohio State has the ability to have a great hockey program, and the Big Ten Conference might be the incentive they need to improve the program. I'm not really a big Buckeye fan (although I like them better than Michigan). I do respect their athletic department capabilities. But you really do seem to have a problem with them.

I heard this same song and dance in 1998 when Ohio State made the Frozen Four by upsetting Michigan State in the Yost regional. 15 years and no Frozen Four appearances since, I continue to hear all about Ohio State's 'potential'.

As for the school itself, I lost ALL respect for it after Jim Tressel was finally exposed to be a complete fraud. And the NCAA turns a blind eye because it doesn't want to come down too hard on one of its cash cows...

• Upvote 1