SiouxSports.com Forum

Know we know the price to lose

fightingsioux08

I've disagreed with Gopher hockey fans about this since it started and I believe they are being very short sighted. The idea that the Big Ten will be a bad hockey conference is obsurd. It has 3 of the very best programs of all time, not even the NCHC can say that. It has the most NCAA titles of all time. The NCHC will be deeper yes with 8 teams but the Big Ten will be a VERY good hockey conference year in year out.

Three programs (Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin) are very good year in and year out. One program (Michigan State) has the occassional good team, but isn't very good on an annual basis. The other two programs (Ohio State and Penn State) are bottom of the barrel. That does not sound like a great conference to me. The NCHC and Hockey East will be the top two conferences next year. The Pig 10 will lag behind. Better get used to it.

• Upvote 2

Three programs (Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin) are very good year in and year out. One program (Michigan State) has the occassional good team, but isn't very good on an annual basis. The other two programs (Ohio State and Penn State) are bottom of the barrel. That does not sound like a great conference to me. The NCHC and Hockey East will be the top two conferences next year. The Pig 10 will lag behind. Better get used to it.

Ohio State is a sleeping giant and moving to the Big Ten will help that program a LOT and they have a very good coach and a great arena. You dont think they will recruit better players now that they're in the Big Ten instead of the CCHA? Penn State is not nearly as far behind as you think they are. They won at Wisconsin when UW was playing very well, they also won at Michigan State and beat Ohio State. Just like everyone else you are being short sighted.
  • Upvote 1

Try and figure out what Maryland and Rutgers added to the B1G. It definitely wasn't based solely on athletic performance. Probably not even in the top 2-3 reasons.

I think that I got it. They were trying to raise the GPA of the B1G? :silly:

Ohio State is a sleeping giant and moving to the Big Ten will help that program a LOT and they have a very good coach and a great arena. You dont think they will recruit better players now that they're in the Big Ten instead of the CCHA? Penn State is not nearly as far behind as you think they are. They won at Wisconsin when UW was playing very well, they also won at Michigan State and beat Ohio State. Just like everyone else you are being short sighted.

And hockey is a priority at which of these schools? Minnesota.......and who else? That's what I thought. The NCHC is made up of schools that make hockey a priority and is a (if not the) cornerstone of their respective athletic departments. The same can be said of most of the Hockey East schools. The WCHA (a.k.a. the CCHA 2.0) will do everything on the cheap and will be a shell of its former self. Most of the Pig 10 schools have basketball and/or football at the top of their respective food chains, with hockey somewhere in the middle of the pack, if not closer to the bottom. That will negatively impact how far these programs can go in terms of national success.

And depth is also important. If even one of the top Pig 10 programs has a bad year (or two), it will have a large negative impact on the rest of the teams when it comes to NCAA tournament time. Hockey East and the NCHC will have lots of depth year in and year out. That helps draw recruits and $$$$$. You had better hope some other Pig 10 schools add hockey or this is going to be a tough road to travel.

As much as I love to rip on the Gophers, I can't agree with you and the others who think the big# will be garbage. Although I wish it would fail, the big# will do just fine. Those athletic programs are all too big to completely fail at hockey. You don't think Hockey East has any bottom of the barrel teams?? You don't think some teams will naturally drop to the bottom of the NCHC over time?? No, the big# hockey teams will not be the cornerstones of their respective schools, but due to the sheer size of the schools they will still be well-funded. As much as I wish it was true, saying the big# teams will drift into obscurity is wishful thinking at best.

I have a feeling Mike Eaves and the entire hockey team might disagree that they played well in that game. I do find it funny that the wins you pointed out above are all future Big 10 teams though :)

I have a feeling Mike Eaves and the entire hockey team might disagree that they played well in that game. I do find it funny that the wins you pointed out above are all future Big 10 teams though :)

I didn't mean that UW played well in that game specifically. Just meant that before and after that game UW was playing good hockey. When you look at their record since December they are one of the best teams in the nation. I still can't believe they lost to Penn State but its a good indication that PSU isn't nearly as bad as people think.

I also hate sticking up for UM and the Big Ten, but to think that the new Big Ten Hockey conference doesn't have the potential to become one of, if not the top conference in hockey is a bit naive. The Athletic budget those schools operate with is astronomical compared to schools in the NCHC. IF they decide to devote even a little extra money to hockey, schools like Penn State and Ohio State will become very good and likely put teams in the NCAA on a regular basis. Both PSU and OSU have the arena and finances to do so. Tradition will only go so far. Look at Notre Dame has done recently and what they are building. Look at past "Traditional Powerhouses" such as LSSU and see how they are doing. IF the Big Ten Schools want to emphasize hockey, none of them will have any issue competing with the traditional powers.

I also hate sticking up for UM and the Big Ten, but to think that the new Big Ten Hockey conference doesn't have the potential to become one of, if not the top conference in hockey is a bit naive. The Athletic budget those schools operate with is astronomical compared to schools in the NCHC. IF they decide to devote even a little extra money to hockey, schools like Penn State and Ohio State will become very good and likely put teams in the NCAA on a regular basis. Both PSU and OSU have the arena and finances to do so. Tradition will only go so far. Look at Notre Dame has done recently and what they are building. Look at past "Traditional Powerhouses" such as LSSU and see how they are doing. IF the Big Ten Schools want to emphasize hockey, none of them will have any issue competing with the traditional powers.

This is a big if and I will believe it when I see it. Does anyone REALLY believe that schools like Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame are going to pump money into hockey over football and/or basketball? Not saying it's impossible (anything is possible), but hockey has been the Little Orphan Annie of their athletic departments for years and there is no sign of that changing. There is a better chance of Ohio State DROPPING hockey than becoming a national power.

And comparing LSSU to schools like UND and Denver is apples and oranges. LSSU lacks the resources of UND, Denver and other schools where hockey is king and thus is struggling to keep up.

This idea that having your own TV network makes you an automatic power in anything and everything is what is shortsighted, not people like myself that see this Pig 10 Hockey Conference for the fiasco that it is. You need institutional commitment, alumni commitment and a fan base that cares enough about the programs to spend money on season tickets and that will watch the teams on television and travel to road games on a regular basis. Whether any of the Pig 10 teams outside of Minnesota can and/or will do this is still a big if. And I will believe it when I see it.

I for one hope that the Pig 10 does succeed as a hockey conference; it would be great for the sport and help prevent more schools from dropping hockey to save money. It might even encourage other Pig 10 schools to add hockey. But I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Hmmm....yup.......Ohio State.....had under a 1,000 folks show up for their final two playoff games at home against Ferris State. Didn't even play those games at the facility that they built specifically for hockey. (17,000 capacity).

But hey, when they played Michigan there was 9,000 admiring fans in the stands. So when they played their biggest rival their building was only half full?

So when Ohio State plays Penn State at the big ten tourney at the X the attendance will be? Not that the big ten will care because they'll have already made their money on basketball and football.

• Upvote 2

This is a big if and I will believe it when I see it. Does anyone REALLY believe that schools like Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame are going to pump money into hockey over football and/or basketball? Not saying it's impossible (anything is possible), but hockey has been the Little Orphan Annie of their athletic departments for years and there is no sign of that changing. There is a better chance of Ohio State DROPPING hockey than becoming a national power.

And comparing LSSU to schools like UND and Denver is apples and oranges. LSSU lacks the resources of UND, Denver and other schools where hockey is king and thus is struggling to keep up.

This idea that having your own TV network makes you an automatic power in anything and everything is what is shortsighted, not people like myself that see this Pig 10 Hockey Conference for the fiasco that it is. You need institutional commitment, alumni commitment and a fan base that cares enough about the programs to spend money on season tickets and that will watch the teams on television and travel to road games on a regular basis. Whether any of the Pig 10 teams outside of Minnesota can and/or will do this is still a big if. And I will believe it when I see it.

Agree that it's a "Big If" but to say the potential isn't there is wrong. They will never put more finances into hockey than they would into football or basketball...but they don't need to. All they need to do is find a few extra million they have laying around and put it towards hockey. As far at the LSSU comparison, I think it's valid. They don't have the resources of a UND or DU, but then again, UND and DU don't have the financial resources of a UM, OSU, PSU, etc and that's my point. The two things that are keeping some of the Big Ten schools from being a regular contender are school committment (financial) and fanbase. IMO, The money issue can be resolved rather easily...building a fan base is more of an issue.

I also don't think that OSU will be dropping hockey anytime soon...if so, why start the Big Ten hockey conference? There had to be some internal discussions amongst Big Ten schools regarding committment to hockey prior to the initiating the new conference. Hate on the Big Ten all you want, I like to do the same, but they have people who know what they are doing when it comes to running their conference.

• Upvote 1

There is a better chance of Ohio State DROPPING hockey than becoming a national power.

Crazy statement right there. The Ohio State fanbase couldn't relate to college hockey because they were in the CCHA playing schools that they've either never heard of or cared about. They got big crowds against Michigan and that's it. It's a Big Ten school and now their hockey program fits in with their other sports on campus.

Your right, the author of the bill stated as much. He also made a point of saying he was on the finance committee that gives financial aid to Minnesota universities. Why would he say that? As I stated before, the bill won't pass, but the author of the bill was basically telling the University that they should rethink their decision about not playing UND.

Living in Gopher country, I hear opinions from two camps. One camp says, UND needs us more than we need UND, so let's screw'em over by not putting them on the schedule. The other hate to lose the annual series with UND.

Winkler got lambasted by the media and the public. He lives in his own little St Paul legislative world, and forgot that the voters don't like legislative games and that most of the voters don't give two craps about college hockey.

Crazy statement right there. The Ohio State fanbase couldn't relate to college hockey because they were in the CCHA playing schools that they've either never heard of or cared about. They got big crowds against Michigan and that's it. It's a Big Ten school and now their hockey program fits in with their other sports on campus.

So basically what you're saying is Ohio State "fans" are Big 10 fans first and hockey fans second. If true, that's a major issue in my opinion. On the bright side, now that they're in the Big 10 with schools they care about they'll have a few bigger crowds for 10 of their home games instead of 2. Good for them.

Again, I will believe it when I see it.

No....many gopher fans I talked to were scared as hell about the move to the big ten. This is the obscurity he and many of your fans mentioned possibly happening.

Every big ten sign was made by gopher fans this weekend.

Obscurity is more national TV exposure? Having more big name schools (read schools, not just college hockey teams) on the schedule will help national exposure for people who aren't familiar with hockey. Ohio State vs. Michigan state is a MUCH more recognizable rivalry than Denver vs. UND for those people who don't closely follow NCAA hockey (which is everyone).

Yes, people are upset that things are changing. Change is scary, change is different. I tend to be of the belief that the road might be rocky but in the end playing in a hockey conference with major schools will be not only good for UMN, but good for college hockey in general.

I know the possibility is remote, but let's say Ohio State did drop hockey in a few years. What happens to the Big 10 hockey conference then? No auto bid at the very least, right?

I know the possibility is remote, but let's say Ohio State did drop hockey in a few years. What happens to the Big 10 hockey conference then? No auto bid at the very least, right?

I have no idea what would happen at that point, I guess the conference wouldn't exist and we would come knocking on the NCHC's door to let us join. :)

The Ohio State and Michigan or the Ohio State and Michigan State rivalry is recognizable because of football and basket ball, not because of hockey. I also don't see the Big 10 Network playing more hockey then it does now. I'd put the SEC, Big 12, and Pac 12 ahead of the Big 10 when it comes to what conference is more powerful.

The Ohio State and Michigan or the Ohio State and Michigan State rivalry is recognizable because of football and basket ball, not because of hockey. I also don't see the Big 10 Network playing more hockey then it does now. I'd put the SEC, Big 12, and Pac 12 ahead of the Big 10 when it comes to what conference is more powerful.

And where do you put the WCHA, and the NACHO? Somewhere below the Sun Belt but above the Summit?

January 2013 Forbes article.

http://www.cbssports...ence-sec-fourth

From the article- "The Big Ten is No. 1 with revenues of $310 million -- $250 million of that coming from TV. The Pacific 12 Conference is second at $303 million and the Atlantic Coast Conference third at $293 million.

The SEC had revenues of $270 million."

THe other hockey conferences are kiddind themselves if they thing they can compete with the Big Ten brand. That doesn't mean the BTHC has better programs (which they don't). But that brand is extremely valuable. Not to mention all of the schools are national research universities that have loads of money and a TV network.

I for one hope that the Pig 10 does succeed as a hockey conference; it would be great for the sport and help prevent more schools from dropping hockey to save money. It might even encourage other Pig 10 schools to add hockey. But I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Little Orphan Annie? You make it sound like these teams don't already put as much if not more money into their programs than almost everyone else already does. Just because the B1G hockey programs are the 3rd or 4th biggest sport at the majority of their schools doesn't mean there is less money going into their programs than there are at schools where hockey is the 1st or 2nd sport. Their athletic budgets are many multiples of alot of the other schools and the TV revenue you keep dismissing just adds on to the overall amount of money they can spend within their athletic department that the majority of the schools don't get the luxury of having.