SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Practices

WeAreNorthDakota

Because sometimes doing the easy thing isn't always the best thing. What's wrong with building character and team chemistry?

I agree. Who knows what went into this decision. Maybe the captains requested to be allowed to do it? I like it. I know when I was playing team sports, odd ball stuff that built character and team identity and tradition were all awesome. Go Sioux football!!

When I played for UND we had to shovel one spring. It was awesome. Not that we enjoyed shoveling but being together and working together. On a side note, the following fall was the best record we had as a team while i was here.

Can we stop arguing over how to shovel and start talking about the players...

• Upvote 4

I'm reading into this way too much, but maybe this is a ploy to get a final donor or two in place to get the IPF totally funded as they watch this unfold.

"Oh those poor student athletes, having to clear the field by themselves!" "Honey, lets just write them a 2 million dollar check to get this thing funded, I want UND to be the BEST!"

I know, I know, probably not a ploy, but an unintended consequence could be a rich alum stepping up!

What's wrong with a humbling team building exercise? I think it's awesome. It's a bit of a tradition that if there is snow on memorial when spring ball is starting the team shovels the field. This isn't the first time.

That's a straw man argument. We know for a fact this wasn't just some team building event. You don't announce the delay of spring ball because you want the team to shovel. Even so, I don't personally have an aversion to shoveling or doing any other manual labor for team building. My problem is the contrast that every viewer saw when they watched that (and that is the highest rated news program in the region). The ac is starting spring ball on their practice field with snow removed to the endzone and sidelines. UND delaying the start of spring ball while the players themselves are shoveling and hauling snow away. Put any "in my day we walked to school both ways barefoot in the snow" spin on it you want to, but that scene is not something you'd prefer to include in your recruiting presentation.

That's a straw man argument. We know for a fact this wasn't just some team building event. You don't announce the delay of spring ball because you want the team to shovel. Even so, I don't personally have an aversion to shoveling or doing any other manual labor for team building. My problem is the contrast that every viewer saw when they watched that (and that is the highest rated news program in the region). The ac is starting spring ball on their practice field with snow removed to the endzone and sidelines. UND delaying the start of spring ball while the players themselves are shoveling and hauling snow away. Put any "in my day we walked to school both ways barefoot in the snow" spin on it you want to, but that scene is not something you'd prefer to include in your recruiting presentation.

Than you show that recruit a picture of the IPF or take them to the construction site (after May) and say see- you don't have to worry about it. You'll get to start spring ball inside one of the nicest Indoor Facilities in the region. Pretty impressive response.

• Upvote 2

I like it. Guys deserving of the ND spirit.

Oh, yes..deserving of the the ND spirit. I'm sure that means a lot in an Illinois living room. Reminiscent of the recruiting speech Rocky gave us on the visit to the ac back in the day. We should just feel so special that we deserved the attention of the mighty ndsu...such a privilege to be there.

Didn't really work out well for 'ol Rock in the end.

Oh, yes..deserving of the the ND spirit. I'm sure that means a lot in an Illinois living room. Reminiscent of the recruiting speech Rocky gave us on the visit to the ac back in the day. We should just feel so special that we deserved the attention of the mighty ndsu...such a privilege to be there.

Interesting insight.

Again, if they are really concerned about it, take them to the IPF construction site that is starting next month. Than you can show that same video your so concerned about of the other area schools practicing on a field surrounded by snow. I bet that will mean a lot in an Illinois living room.

Should feel blessed to have 'SU show interest. Means you are an exceptional athlete. Worked out fine for Rock, won a title and got a standing ovation when he led a Bison opponent into the Fargodome.

Should feel blessed to have 'SU show interest. Means you are an exceptional athlete. Worked out fine for Rock, won a title and got a standing ovation when he led a Bison opponent into the Fargodome.

No, no. This was post 1990 when Rocky had to rely on his own recruits to win. Not simply winning with Earle's guys like he did in 88 & 90. Check the record from '91-'96 and you'll see the fruits of his "blessings".

The standing O was a nice warm and fuzzy though.

Again, if they are really concerned about it, take them to the IPF construction site that is starting next month. Than you can show that same video your so concerned about of the other area schools practicing on a field surrounded by snow. I bet that will mean a lot in an Illinois living room.

Next month? I have yet to see proof of this.