SiouxSports.com Forum

Mr. Blais

siouxfan512

I have heard some speculation and rumors and Dean may not stay at UNO much longer. I'm not sure if he is just tired of coaching altogether, or needs a change of pace, or maybe the rumors are not true at all.

Anyone see any angle where Blais would want to be an assistant coach and UND? Less pressure? Less time/work compared to head coach? UND history? Enjoyed living the quiet life in NoDak; hunting/fishing etc?

I figure at his age he won't want to be a head coach forever, but maybe an assistant job could be in his future? If so, I hope the Sioux try to take advantage...

Thoughts???

I have heard some speculation and rumors and Dean may not stay at UNO much longer. I'm not sure if he is just tired of coaching altogether, or needs a change of pace, or maybe the rumors are not true at all.

Anyone see any angle where Blais would want to be an assistant coach and UND? Less pressure? Less time/work compared to head coach? UND history? Enjoyed living the quiet life in NoDak; hunting/fishing etc?

I figure at his age he won't want to be a head coach forever, but maybe an assistant job could be in his future? If so, I hope the Sioux try to take advantage...

Thoughts???

If Blais leaves, he is done. An assistant coach spends a lot of time on the road recruiting, and I don't think Blais would want to do that anymore, and I think UND would want guys who are young and ambitious out on the road. Don't even know if Blais would entertain the head coaching job at UND if it was open, but who knows.

• Upvote 1

If Blais leaves, he is done. An assistant coach spends a lot of time on the road recruiting, and I don't think Blais would want to do that anymore, and I think UND would want guys who are young and ambitious out on the road. Don't even know if Blais would entertain the head coaching job at UND if it was open, but who knows.

I can certainly see from Blais's perspective why he wouldn't want to be out on the road recruiting. Though from UND's perspective, I think his name still brings enough attention to young players, that he could help get some high end talent.

Originally, I was thinking more from a coaching, practice, bench presence standpoint. He would be a great guy to see back on that bench. Doubtful, but a fun idea to consider.

Deano has kind of set into a downward trend here. After winning that world junior championship and leading the Mavs to the NCAA's things haven't gone like they normally would for his hockey teams. There was the debacle that was the world juniors where they finished like seventh, and after some decent starts his Mavs team has had some horrible stretches of play in March.

If this is it for him he's left the program in better shape than he found it. I bet UNO may be kicking themselves though as Mike Hastings has done a tremendous job in Mankato and although he was the heir apparent to the UNO job, he may be happy where he's at with the kids he's got.

I could see Blais becoming some type of pro scout of consultant for an NHL team. Likes to travel, but gives him some time to be around his family and be a dad and a grandpa too.

Although Hastings has done a good job this year I think we will really see how the Mavs do in the next couple years. That will certainly give us a better idea on his team and if he has indeed turned the corner on the Mavs program.

Although Hastings has done a good job this year I think we will really see how the Mavs do in the next couple years. That will certainly give us a better idea on his team and if he has indeed turned the corner on the Mavs program.

Agreed, Hasting has done a tremendous job with these guys, but it take a few years to see how he recruits and handles his own players. He is off to a great start though. With the conferences realigning he could become a dominant team in the WCHA, with some NCAA appearances on the horizon. Once he can get into the tourney anything can happen; a win or two in the tourney can do alot for program attention and growth. The future is looking much better for the Mavs; Now they just need to update their rink.

Looking at the youth on their team, they have the ability to be VERY good in the next couple years.

Deano has kind of set into a downward trend here. After winning that world junior championship and leading the Mavs to the NCAA's things haven't gone like they normally would for his hockey teams. There was the debacle that was the world juniors where they finished like seventh, and after some decent starts his Mavs team has had some horrible stretches of play in March.

If this is it for him he's left the program in better shape than he found it. I bet UNO may be kicking themselves though as Mike Hastings has done a tremendous job in Mankato and although he was the heir apparent to the UNO job, he may be happy where he's at with the kids he's got.

I could see Blais becoming some type of pro scout of consultant for an NHL team. Likes to travel, but gives him some time to be around his family and be a dad and a grandpa too.

Didn't he do this already for the Blue Jackets? He did that before he coached for the Force.

I think if he is ever done at UNO...he is done.

Let's not forget about The Hockey Academy.

That might be a better fit with a transition from hectic full-time coaching, and a quiet well-deserved, hard-earned retirement.

P.S. And doing analyst commentary on UND hockey broadcasts. :D

Sweeney and Blais?........Ohhhhhh or

Hennessey and Blais......tittlating

How about a radio/TV simulcast with Hennessey and Blais? That would put an end to all the bickering on this forum about the TV coverage.

When the delay is right, listening to TH while watching is great. The guy is just amazing at describing the play. Kober is a brilliant hockey mind, just can't always put his thoughts to words. Blais would be great in that spot....but a pipe dream nonetheless.

Maybe posted elsewhere but see that UNO and the City of Omaha are committing, or are close to committing, $75M for a new on campus hockey facility.

Deano must be doing a few things right, even if his boys did end up leaking it down their tired legs as the season kicked into high gear. His time was then.

Hak's time is NOW.

Let's not forget about The Hockey Academy.

That might be a better fit with a transition from hectic full-time coaching, and a quiet well-deserved, hard-earned retirement.

P.S. And doing analyst commentary on UND hockey broadcasts. :D

What exactly is the Hockey Academy? I have heard about it for a while but never looked into it much. Is it just a development camp? On that note, with our facilities, why doesn't Grand Forks, try to establish a young development team? Something comparable to Ann Arbor? Recruit top end talent and schedule games with college and USHL teams across the country? Is that something that is even possible? I am just thinking it would be more great hockey for the city and a great way to bring more interest to UND and its program. Probably not a bad recruiting tool for the college either.

What exactly is the Hockey Academy? I have heard about it for a while but never looked into it much. Is it just a development camp? On that note, with our facilities, why doesn't Grand Forks, try to establish a young development team? Something comparable to Ann Arbor? Recruit top end talent and schedule games with college and USHL teams across the country? Is that something that is even possible? I am just thinking it would be more great hockey for the city and a great way to bring more interest to UND and its program. Probably not a bad recruiting tool for the college either.

The Hockey Academy is a development camp for aspiring players, it is run by former hockey/und players. There has been talk about developing a top end midget team in Grand Forks but that was a few years ago.

The Hockey Academy is a development camp for aspiring players, it is run by former hockey/und players. There has been talk about developing a top end midget team in Grand Forks but that was a few years ago.

I was woundering about that as well.

The Hockey Academy is more than just a development camp, http://www.reahockeyacademy.com/. It includes training programs, camps, clinics, tournaments and more. It takes advantage of the training facilities available at REA.

As far as a midget team goes, that would take a lot of money and would also be difficult to schedule with UND Men's and Women's Hockey already taking up a great deal of time. Between practices and games, plus the other events held there, another team would have a hard time fitting into the schedule.

The Hockey Academy is more than just a development camp, http://www.reahockeyacademy.com/. It includes training programs, camps, clinics, tournaments and more. It takes advantage of the training facilities available at REA.

As far as a midget team goes, that would take a lot of money and would also be difficult to schedule with UND Men's and Women's Hockey already taking up a great deal of time. Between practices and games, plus the other events held there, another team would have a hard time fitting into the schedule.

Another practice rink at the REA wouldn't hurt anything, though I'm sure its not a money priority. Unless a donor comes in with a specific purpose.

Another practice rink at the REA wouldn't hurt anything, though I'm sure its not a money priority. Unless a donor comes in with a specific purpose.

It would take away parking, which is precious already. My guess is that several other things would rank above another practice rink for both REA and for UND. But it would get plenty of use.

It would take away parking, which is precious already. My guess is that several other things would rank above another practice rink for both REA and for UND. But it would get plenty of use.

Just put it in that building west of the student entrance. The Betty they call it? All thats played in there is basketball right? :p

(Please note, a joke. Nothing against Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball or the volleyball program).

I know they have talked about doing a midget team but that was a few years ago, so I don't know where it stands now. There is enough ice in town for them to find a place to practice and possible play, it doesnt have to be just at the REA.

I know they have talked about doing a midget team but that was a few years ago, so I don't know where it stands now. There is enough ice in town for them to find a place to practice and possible play, it doesnt have to be just at the REA.

The Grand Forks Park District is trying to build 2 more indoor ice sheets because there isn't enough ice in town. If they got those built, then ice time might not be as much of a problem. But right now the park district hockey programs, high school hockey teams, ice skating club and independent groups are all fighting to find ice time indoors. The current arenas are used very early in the morning and late at night. And don't forget intramural sports using ice time at REA. East Grand Forks is just as bad. It would be hard to fit in regular ice time for another program like a midget team.