SiouxSports.com Forum

what do u think of the Red River KKK white out story

Fetch

Don't forget that the Klan was big in Grand Forks in the 1920's. Remember, the Klan hates Catholics too.

These young men should probably be suspended for a day from school, and, in agreement with watchmaker, need to do a little research and an essay on what the Klan actually meant. It was inappropriate and should be addressed.

Now, if anybody responds with some ignorant point about the Black Panther, I won't respond. I don't waste my time with inbred retards.

...Good to see the Catholic Church is about done with their 2,000 year old scam....

And can you please give me some examples of how a parents social status has determined the severity of punishment for a Red River High School student? You see there are these things called facts and evidence that us logical people use to prove their argument. Here's your chance!!

Evidently you never paid much attention as to how punishments are handed out. I saw it personally many times but am not going to name names.

The only "news" from this is that some freshmen boys used poor judgement (big newsflash) - the media is making way too much out of this. The nature of kids is that they sometimes do stupid things without thinking. How is this news?

So, while in horrible taste, is it not freedom of expression, speech, and peaceful assembly/association? To affiliate with the clan or neo-naziism and to speak as such is protected under the constitution. I hate what this stands for, as any intelligent human should, but I believe in the first amendment even more.

I believe punishment should be handled by parents.

So, while in horrible taste, is it not freedom of expression, speech, and peaceful assembly/association? To affiliate with the clan or neo-naziism and to speak as such is protected under the constitution. I hate what this stands for, as any intelligent human should, but I believe in the first amendment even more.

It was a school sanctioned event, so the school has the right and the responsibility to punish and to teach the students a lesson. This isn't a First Amendment issue. It would be a different story if these were adults that weren't associated with the school.
  • Upvote 1

It was a school sanctioned event, so the school has the right and the responsibility to punish and to teach the students a lesson. This isn't a First Amendment issue. It would be a different story if these were adults that weren't associated with the school.

is the school not funded by tax payer dollars...it is public...makes it first amendment. I agree with a teaching moment, but I don't think they can be "punished" it was not "fire" in a crowded theater.

First amendment thing if they were charged with crimes which they are not. The Ralph can stop certain things in their building. And schools usually have code of conduct that must be followed.

Agree that if it is spelled out in the code of conduct they can be punished under that. Also agree the Ralph can stop anything they want on their property.

All schools have a code of conduct. The students broke that code. It was a school sanctioned event. It is not a First Amendment issue. The school being funded by the public does not make it a First Amendment issue. The school will handle the issue. I also hope that their parents do something about it.

• Upvote 1

Seven thirty just pulled out of hardees. Guy holding a sign on the corner: "Racism will not stand."

Probably the same guy that does his sign holding and schtick for Liberty Tax on south University Dr. in Fargo. He is just getting warmed up for the day!

School district personnel have a responsibility to assign punishment in this instance just as they would if those kids uttered expletives to a teacher in the school. You've stated here already that you hate what this stands for, so clearly you think it is serious. This is far beyond a "wait till your father gets home" offense. Red River High School, and "students wearing KKK garb" have been associated in news stories nationwide. I'm not even getting into a debate as to the newsworthiness (if that's a word) of the story. That fact is self evident not only by the number of news organizations running the story, but even more so by the interest level of the average citizen in the story. People are taking the time to discuss this because they are interested. That's news.

As for the first ammendment? There is well established case law on school's ability to curb 1st ammendment protections. And even so, the problem here is the propriety of what they were expressing in that time and place, not some act of defiance in their (the students) legal ability to express it. Had those kids worn that garb at a lawfully organized clan march downtown, you wouldn't see the school acting in this manner.

Think Romney's rate.

That would be awful if everyone only paid taxes like Romney. Oh wait, he's paid tens of millions in taxes and picked up the slack for literally thousands of folks that don't pay a dime? I guess he is the bad guy. I'm glad everyone isn't screwing the system like him.

• Upvote 1

School district personnel have a responsibility to assign punishment in this instance just as they would if those kids uttered expletives to a teacher in the school. You've stated here already that you hate what this stands for, so clearly you think it is serious. This is far beyond a "wait till your father gets home" offense. Red River High School, and "students wearing KKK garb" have been associated in news stories nationwide. I'm not even getting into a debate as to the newsworthiness (if that's a word) of the story. That fact is self evident not only by the number of news organizations running the story, but even more so by the interest level of the average citizen in the story. People are taking the time to discuss this because they are interested. That's news.

As for the first ammendment? There is well established case law on school's ability to curb 1st ammendment protections. And even so, the problem here is the propriety of what they were expressing in that time and place, not some act of defiance in their (the students) legal ability to express it. Had those kids worn that garb at a lawfully organized clan march downtown, you wouldn't see the school acting in this manner.

Tinker vs Des Moines - Supreme court ruling

In the 24 hour news cycle, social media, internet news world, stories like this can go viral pretty quick. So can a story about Kim Kardasian being pregnant. My point is the fact that a story is being talked about nationwide on blogs, message boards, and anywhere else on the internet does not automatically qualify as a HUGE breaking news story.

These kids made a stupid mistake and rightfully should be punished. But that is what it simply is. These kids are not active members in the KKK and were looking to start trouble or harass any African American people at the Ralph or playing in the game. I know I am just assuming, but I think we can all agree that was the case. That is what kids their age do, make stupid mistakes. The appropriate punishment will most likely be suspension and a letter of apology to the appropriate parties.

That would be awful if everyone only paid taxes like Romney. Oh wait, he's paid tens of millions in taxes and picked up the slack for literally thousands of folks that don't pay a dime? I guess he is the bad guy. I'm glad everyone isn't screwing the system like him.

But he is screwing the system as he should be paying tens of millions more as some would suggest so that thousands more wouldn't have to pay a dime. :silly: Welcome to the new America...

On a side note in 2009 when about 47% of all tax payers paid nothing in federal income tax, roughly 30% of that 47% actually had received a "refund" of some kind thru negative tax credits and the like.

People like to bitch about those who have more should pay more, but that argument holds little water when those who pay absolutely nothing in actually make money with the current tax system.

But he is screwing the system as he should be paying tens of millions more as some would suggest so that thousands more wouldn't have to pay a dime. :silly: Welcome to the new America...

On a side note in 2009 when about 47% of all tax payers paid nothing in federal income tax, roughly 30% of that 47% actually had received a "refund" of some kind thru negative tax credits and the like.

People like to bitch about those who have more should pay more, but that argument holds little water when those who pay absolutely nothing in actually make money with the current tax system.

Which was brought to you by the Republican Party. As for Walsh Hall I am glad that you have no problem paying a larger percentage of your income in taxes than Romney.

Which was brought to you by the Republican Party. As for Walsh Hall I am glad that you have no problem paying a larger percentage of your income in taxes than Romney.

So those that get a "refund" for paying nothing into the system you are ok with but not what Romney pays even though it all falls within the same tax code and regs??? :hypocrite:

OMG!!!! Moderators do something please!! This ongoing political BS does not belong in this thread! Yeah,' I know don't read it if you don't want to..' but I open the thread to read what I think is on topic and see the same ol' political crap!!

No is going to change anyone's political, religious, etc. on Siouxsports.com.

OMG!!!! Moderators do something please!! This ongoing political BS does not belong in this thread! Yeah,' I know don't read it if you don't want to..' but I open the thread to read what I think is on topic and see the same ol' political crap!!

No is going to change anyone's political, religious, etc. on Siouxsports.com.

Yeah, you're really right. We were finding it tough not to allow discussion of a very local topic that's very big national news, but it's clear that such a discussion can't take place without including not only politics but apparently also religion. So, it doesn't belong here.