SiouxSports.com Forum

Exciting News Coming From the NCHC?

IrishSiouxFan

Two teams MN and UW, had ZERO choice in the matter. They were FORCED to leave ...

Once PSU became D1 UW and MN literally had no choice.

A reappearance of the convenient excuse of the Big Ten's by-law that says if "six play the sport you play as the Big Ten".

Ah yes. That old saw. Keep selling, but no sale here.

Dare I ask:

1. Who created that by-law?

2. Who can change that by-law?

The answer to each is: The Big Ten.

The "we were forced" is disingenuous at best. Yes, you were "forced", by the existing Big Ten by-law, that the Big Ten wrote, that the Big Ten could change.

The Big Ten acted in self-interest. Don't be silly enough to say others can't follow suit.

Final thought: There are whispers that the B1G is looking to play lacrosse, and that they'd add Johns Hopkins. What's that? Hopkins? A non-full B1G member playing in B1G play? That's against the B1G by-laws! Yet, it's a persistent rumor out in the lax and conference aligment forums on the internet. (Full disclosure: Yes, until it happens it's not real.)

• Upvote 2

While I'm not one to get the "code", I'm not a real fan of the NCHC assigning seats based on when they are bought, or lottery, or similar, since I don't know how they determine what the "best" seats are.

Agreed. I almost bit right when I got the offer, but then I thought about some pimpled face intern thinking the "best" seats are on the glass or behind the bench. I think I'll wait til general sale so I can pick where I sit.

Looks good.

Major oops on the part of the Target Center for leaking the logo and tournament information before tomorrow's news conference.

Let's be honest....there have been a lot of oopses for the PR team of the NCHC and their partners so far. :)

A reappearance of the convenient excuse of the Big Ten's by-law that says if "six play the sport you play as the Big Ten".

Ah yes. That old saw. Keep selling, but no sale here.

Dare I ask:

1. Who created that by-law?

2. Who can change that by-law?

The answer to each is: The Big Ten.

The "we were forced" is disingenuous at best. Yes, you were "forced", by the existing Big Ten by-law, that the Big Ten wrote, that the Big Ten could change.

The Big Ten acted in self-interest. Don't be silly enough to say others can't follow suit.

Final thought: There are whispers that the B1G is looking to play lacrosse, and that they'd add Johns Hopkins. What's that? Hopkins? A non-full B1G member playing in B1G play? That's against the B1G by-laws! Yet, it's a persistent rumor out in the lax and conference aligment forums on the internet. (Full disclosure: Yes, until it happens it's not real.)

I'd be interested to know how often a league bylaw has been changed in the history of the conference.

Agreed. I almost bit right when I got the offer, but then I thought about some pimpled face intern thinking the "best" seats are on the glass or behind the bench. I think I'll wait til general sale so I can pick where I sit.

Was thinking the same thing as well. It might just be that the people that get the seats they want, or indeed the best, might just be people who wait.

Let's be honest....there have been a lot of oopses for the PR team of the NCHC and their partners so far. :)

It pales in comparison to the downright ineptitude of the WCHA year in and year out under the current "administration"!

• Upvote 1

So what? The WCHA has been worse as far as I am concerned. Especially with the clowns they have reffing this league. The Big Ten isn't exactly a league known for greatness either. How many academic scandals have there been over the years? My fingers are pointing directly at OSU and Minnesota… The PSU mess doesn’t look real good either, if I had been on the executive council at the NCAA, I would have pushed for the PSU football team’s death penalty for a couple of years.

The fact remains, if people thought that college hockey was going to remain stagnant, their crazy.

Anyone notice that the tourney is a 2 day event with a 3rd place game. People in the past have complained that the 3 games played in week prior to the ncaa's has hurt some teams.

Nobody will play more than two games. Only four teams make the tourney at the Target Center.

Okay, that is a fair point. I just think that the attendance for the Big Ten Tournament will pale in comparison to the current version of the Final Five. As will the NCHC attendance. As will the new WCHA attendance. We have had the perfect storm of schools, travel distance, location and facility over the past 15 years with the current WCHA. It will never be duplicated. The X can try all they want, but most of us won't give the Big Ten tournament the time of day.

You are absolutely correct on the attendance of the new tournaments starting next year. None will duplicate what we have seen since 2001 and the Xcel Energy Center. But you can't blame the X for trying to put butts in its seats, can you? They're hardly at fault.

So what? The WCHA has been worse as far as I am concerned. Especially with the clowns they have reffing this league. The Big Ten isn't exactly a league known for greatness either. How many academic scandals have there been over the years? My fingers are pointing directly at OSU and Minnesota… The PSU mess doesn’t look real good either, if I had been on the executive council at the NCAA, I would have pushed for the PSU football team’s death penalty for a couple of years.

The fact remains, if people thought that college hockey was going to remain stagnant, their crazy.

Man, a little testy, are we? Just making an observation. For a league that hasn't even started play yet, there have been a lot of oops moments. That's all. I'm not comparing it to anything at all.

Number one rule about PR, any news is good news, good bad indifferent

Not if it makes you look like you're unprepared and contradicts your message.

Honestly, this is no big deal. Seriously, who cares if the logo got leaked early. The opening press conference, premature press releases, and announcements of announcements of announcements were much bigger problems.

I think I've probably misrepresented my stance on the NCHC. While I think this is a step in s strange direction (and, potentially, wrong direction), what's done is done. I don't hold ill will against the conference or schools. It may give me a little extra satisfaction to needle certain fans, but no grudges. I'd rather look to the future and how my university can benefit. I think, though, that the NCHC opened itself up to additional criticism when they talked about being like-minded schools as if they were superior to others and then made some pretty dumb mistakes that completely contradicted the perception they were trying to create. Point being, people are uber-critical of the NCHC schools simply because they have made mistakes that were hypocritical and made the same types of mistakes that they criticized the WCHA leadership for making.

Man, a little testy, are we? Just making an observation. For a league that hasn't even started play yet, there have been a lot of oops moments. That's all. I'm not comparing it to anything at all.

Who say's that I am testy... I am in a great mood I just think the hate towards everything that is the NCHC is misguided.

The new NCHC logo is great. The red, white, and blue shield gives it the "National" feel. Anyone else notice the 8 stars?!! great way to recognize the 8 teams that will start this league!! The color makes it great. Unlike an other conference logo in college hockey. Well done!

The new NCHC logo is great. The red, white, and blue shield gives it the "National" feel. Anyone else notice the 8 stars?!! great way to recognize the 8 teams that will start this league!! The color makes it great. Unlike an other conference logo in college hockey. Well done!

Definitely a national look...looks like some of the old school logos from Team USA in past summer Olympics...

I didn't notice them at all until you mentioned it! :lol: Of course...they're pretty obvious.

I'm not a fan...too much clutter...and I hope it's not a 4-6" patch on every team's jersey. Yikes.