SiouxSports.com Forum

Is it the Ralph or is it the Hyslop

Vegas_Sioux

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/255298/

Diving in the collegiate game. Greg Shepard makes a good point. Most of the good divers are the better players on the team. My take if you believe the hit warrants and ejection review the play. If its an obvious 2 or 3 stride and check right to the numbers from behind causing a head first into the boards no review needed. But if its a good open ice hit and the player flops. Throw the diver out dont penalize the opponent because you missed the flop at full speed.

That MacWilliam penalty was a horrible call. Refs did not even see it. They may have caught it out of the corner of their eye, but totally made a reaction call on how the guy was selling it. Funny how Shephard is commenting on this article and he is guilty of calling these bull s#%& dives 5 minute majors all the time!!

• Upvote 1

That MacWilliam penalty was a horrible call. Refs did not even see it. They may have caught it out of the corner of their eye, but totally made a reaction call on how the guy was selling it. Funny how Shephard is commenting on this article and he is guilty of calling these bull s#%& dives 5 minute majors all the time!!

Greg Shepard doesn't ref.

The quotes were from Papa Shep, Supervisor of Officials, he hasn't actually reffed for a while. Hard to keep the Shepard crew straight sometimes.

Ironic that college hockey is now thinking about this the same year that the NBA installed flopping rules.

The quotes were from Papa Shep, Supervisor of Officials, he hasn't actually reffed for a while. Hard to keep the Shepard crew straight sometimes.

Ironic that college hockey is now thinking about this the same year that the NBA installed flopping rules.

I still remember when he was reffing, and calling penalties. He was also terrible!

Greg---was horrible ref, current director of officiating

Derek-Pretty decent official.....by WCHA standards anyway

Brad-horrible official

Isn't it funny that this conversation comes up before a Wisconsin series. Thanks Robby Earl, winner of the Greg Luganeous award for diving, Also may be a bit to do with Johnson this last Saturday. I think he was trying to draw a major on that hit.

More irony, it flows hard today! I think Earl invented diving in hockey.

If they're serious about dealing with diving (which I will have to see to believe), the penalty is going to have to hurt to put an end to it. I don't think it's worthy of a five, but two minutes and a period off like ringneck28 said might work...or maybe 5 is the answer, they're trying to draw fives so maybe that's what they should get...IDK.

Problem with this whole thing is it's going to be up to the refs judgement, and one side is going to cry every time a penalty is called or not called.

One of the NBC SN guys last night during the Wild game was talking about this. He suggested that if a player embellishes, then the initial penalty should be nullified. In other words, if I hook you, even if it's a legitimate hook, but then you embellish it to make it more obvious, you should get called for embellishment, and I no longer have to serve the hooking penalty. That way, not only will you have to sit in the box, but your team will be a man down because I won't be in the box. Bigger penalty that way.

One of the NBC SN guys last night during the Wild game was talking about this. He suggested that if a player embellishes, then the initial penalty should be nullified. In other words, if I hook you, even if it's a legitimate hook, but then you embellish it to make it more obvious, you should get called for embellishment, and I no longer have to serve the hooking penalty.

I like that idea as well. I hate divers and if you want a good example of a team that dives watch the Vancouver Canucks.

Isn't it funny that this conversation comes up before a Wisconsin series. Thanks Robby Earl, winner of the Greg Luganeous award for diving, Also may be a bit to do with Johnson this last Saturday. I think he was trying to draw a major on that hit.

The Gophers were doing this when Robbie was still playing termites.

Now you are dating yourself, lets go nostalgic on this. How long ago can you remember this happening in college hockey and who was notorious for it? Reason for this, I think I have heard many head coaches say this used to not be a problem.

Gophers were doing this back in 1989. Casey Hankinson and his brother Peter were great at it. The Little Troll Dave Spehar was almost the king. Ryan Kraft, Jonny Pohl, et al or simply any of the Gopher forwards for the last 25 years.

Gophers were doing this back in 1989. Casey Hankinson and his brother Peter were great at it. The Little Troll Dave Spehar was almost the king. Ryan Kraft, Jonny Pohl, et al or simply any of the Gopher forwards for the last 25 years.

87 would have been the first year that I started to follow sioux hockey a bit, I would have been about 14. Growing up in mandan we didn't get to see many games. It was in 94 that I went to college in Minneapolis and met a huge hockey nut from grand forks that really got me going on Sioux hockey again. From that time forward, I do remember spehar being a diver. I saw some diving exhibitions in the old st paul civic at the final 5.

OH MAN I REMEMBER THIS LITTLE FELLA! He was a classic diver!

Heh. My fondest memory of Spehar was when Commodore checked him into a bench at the Target Center and all you saw of him was two skates hanging over the boards.

As for Earl, I think his uniform was made by Speedo.

Heh. My fondest memory of Spehar was when Commodore checked him into a bench at the Target Center and all you saw of him was two skates hanging over the boards.

As for Earl, I think his uniform was made by Speedo.

I was at that game at the target center. That was a great year if I recall? Wasn't that 1997?