SiouxSports.com Forum

Is it the Ralph or is it the Hyslop

Vegas_Sioux

Since he admits that they know people are diving then why are the calling the penalties? Don't call them and see how fast they stop.

They're trying now. Rau got called for embellishing last weekend on a play where he was legitimately held and thrown to the ice by a defender. Rau tries to embellish a lot and gets away with it, but that call was complete crap and was definitely due to his name. So the officials do know who tries to do it. I agree with what they were saying in the Wild game last night. If there's a hook or something and the player being hooked dives or embellishes it, give him the penalty and let the guy that was doing the hooking off. That'll get rid of diving pretty fast.

As for "diving" on checking from behind, there's not much that can be done by officials. If a player is checked from behind into the boards you legitimately cannot say he dove unless it's so blatantly obvious that the he embellished it that Shepherd could even see it.

As for "diving" on checking from behind, there's not much that can be done by officials. If a player is checked from behind into the boards you legitimately cannot say he dove unless it's so blatantly obvious that the he embellished it that Shepherd could even see it.

Perhaps that's where "player safety" comes into play and the "checked from behind" player should be required to sit for 10 minutes game time to ensure he (or she in the case of certain rodent players) is physically and mentally ok to play. The 10 minute sitdown would only apply to players who laid/thrashed around on the ice for an extended period of time/until the whistle blew.

Perhaps that's where "player safety" comes into play and the "checked from behind" player should be required to sit for 10 minutes game time to ensure he (or she in the case of certain rodent players) is physically and mentally ok to play. The 10 minute sitdown would only apply to players who laid/thrashed around on the ice for an extended period of time/until the whistle blew.

Meh. Not sure how I feel about that one personally. I feel like if you're hit from behind you shouldn't be punished if you want to regroup and collect yourself for a minute. Even if it's not a serious injury.

This is where I was going with this suggestion. It would cut down on the embellishment and then the player that was really hurt would sit to make sure there is no serious damage. I just think that Haks comments came more due to #4 Johnson laying on the ground after St. Claires clean hit and he just laid there. You know it was fishy when 2 things happened, first, the captain stayed on the ice to talk to official in between periods and 2nd Johnson approached officials after the game. Also, who was the player from BU that did this earlier this season?

Meh. Not sure how I feel about that one personally. I feel like if you're hit from behind you shouldn't be punished if you want to regroup and collect yourself for a minute. Even if it's not a serious injury.

In the name of player safety, those individuals who were hit so hard they need "to regroup and collect" themselves for a minute should probably undergo concussion tests.

Why not make it like football then? If you stay down which causes a delay in gameplay, you have to sit until the next whistle.

But at that point it would be worth it if you're up one goal in an important game to have a 4th liner hit the opponents star player from behind with 10 minutes left in the game. Sure your 4th liner is tossed, but there's only about 10 minutes left and the player that was checked from behind is gone too if he has to sit out for 10 minutes for mandatory concussion tests. Stupid things like this could happen. I feel if you check a guy from behind the penalty should be on you no matter what the case is.

Why not make it like football then? If you stay down which causes a delay in gameplay, you have to sit until the next whistle.

This is one I could definitely agree with but it really doesn't change a whole lot from what it is right now

Certainly doesnt hurt my feelings. I just disagree that the Gophers over the years have embellished more than the average college hockey team. I remember Jason Blake taking a dive or two as well.

Yeah UND has had a couple guys over the years who have practiced some theatrics and I don't really remember Kraft and Pohl as being floppers. Spehar was in a class with Robbie Earl and Cepis was pretty bad as well.

In the article, MacWilliam mentions that he was not taught to play that way(and I would guess discouraged). I think it is a cultural thing to some point. If you look at the players that are prone to dive the Euros flop more than anyone....maybe it comes from the soccer culture in many European countries? Americans are much more likely to flop than Canadian players which would explain why UND has probably had less of this activity than most other teams as it is probably not looked highly upon in the UND room by teammates or coaches.

If you maybe removed your maroon colored glasses you would see it.

Yeah UND has had a couple guys over the years who have practiced some theatrics and I don't really remember Kraft and Pohl as being floppers. Spehar was in a class with Robbie Earl and Cepis was pretty bad as well.

In the article, MacWilliam mentions that he was not taught to play that way(and I would guess discouraged). I think it is a cultural thing to some point. If you look at the players that are prone to dive the Euros flop more than anyone....maybe it comes from the soccer culture in many European countries? Americans are much more likely to flop than Canadian players which would explain why UND has probably had less of this activity than most other teams as it is probably not looked highly upon in the UND room by teammates or coaches.

Earl was the worst ever, Cepis was certainly guilty as well. I agree with you, I dont remember Kraft or especially Pohl taking dives.

I don't recall diving being a problem in the late 1970's or early 1980's.

Reason being - if you dived, the other team pounded you later on.

The system used to be self-policing. Not today.

I remember it starting more like the 89-90 season. Not that bad at first. Then it got worse and worse until it is where it is at today.

10 minute sitdown = standing 8 count

I don't recall diving being a problem in the late 1970's or early 1980's.

Reason being - if you dived, the other team pounded you later on.

The system used to be self-policing. Not today.

If the refs called embellishment like it says in the rule book, it wouldn't be a problem.

I've never understood the "self-policing" theory of fighting. I thought the refs were the policemen out there.

The World Junior tournament and NHL playoffs are two examples where the refereeing is pretty good to very good, and there is no fighting in IIHF and barely any in the NHL playoffs. And the hockey is great.

(although, I will say, the IIHF refs don't call diving nearly enough, either)

If the refs called embellishment like it says in the rule book, it wouldn't be a problem.

I've never understood the "self-policing" theory of fighting. I thought the refs were the policemen out there.

The World Junior tournament and NHL playoffs are two examples where the refereeing is pretty good to very good, and there is no fighting in IIHF and barely any in the NHL playoffs. And the hockey is great.

(although, I will say, the IIHF refs don't call diving nearly enough, either)

The best refs in the world ref the world juniors and the Olympics, and the best crews in the NHL work the playoffs. Also the divers are elminated in the earlier rounds if they make it at all. (unless the Canucks get lucky)

The best refs in the world ref the world juniors and the Olympics, and the best crews in the NHL work the playoffs. Also the divers are elminated in the earlier rounds if they make it at all. (unless the Canucks get lucky)

There was an article in the paper today that fighting in the NHL is on record pace so far this year, they aren't sure why but the last time it was this high was after the last lockout...wierd, must be all that frustration being cooped up with mama for too long. :lol: