SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL is Back

sprig

While no fan of the Golden Domers (Chokers?) ND does have a brand that creates a lot of network/advertiser interest. They're still getting lift from the days of Knute, Ara, Dan and Lou, even though they really haven't done anything in over a decade. But the Tide effectively showed the world that "the Emperor has no clothes". However, they'll still be hyped in the off-season and into next season and NBC will experience its usual bumps in ratings when they play Navy, USC, etc.

I honestly don't care how valuable the "brand" is, if you can't get it done on the field, you are a fraud. And once the 4-team playoff starts in a couple of years, the Irish will have to get it done on the field or be exposed for the frauds that they are. This is the biggest problem with the Bull Crap Series, letting the media and coaches decide anything important makes the whole process a farce.

It also used to go downward from left to right. It now goes upward. Thoughts on that? :bigsmile:

The new logo incorporates silver (which represents the color of the Stanley Cup) and the NHL moving in an 'upward' direction. I think the logo change and re-naming of the divisions were points in the commissioner's favor. Now, watching the NHL leave Quebec City, Winnipeg, and Bloomington, MN...that's another issue entirely...

It doesn't matter how good they are, Notre Dame has always had a large fanbase from coast to coast and NBC knows and will continue to capitalize on that. They're a lot like the Cubs (except a better product), they continue to sell out Wrigley and have millions of fans nationwide, but really have been a terrible franchise for years. Popularity=$, that's the only thing that matters to NBC.

They're still getting lift from the days of Knute, Ara, Dan and Lou, even though they really haven't done anything in over a decade.

A decade? Try almost 20 years! Nevermind the on-the-field stuff regarding the Irish, how about that nasty little rape/suicide of the girl on a neighboring campus? Oh, you hadn't heard about that? Google it. I am sure the NCAA is almost ready to put the Penn State hammer down on South Bend. Any day now...

It doesn't matter how good they are, Notre Dame has always had a large fanbase from coast to coast and NBC knows and will continue to capitalize on that. They're a lot like the Cubs (except a better product), they continue to sell out Wrigley and have millions of fans nationwide, but really have been a terrible franchise for years. Popularity=$, that's the only thing that matters to NBC.

It's a good thing the NFL has a national TV deal with the broadcast and cable networks or else all the coverage would focus on maybe a half dozen teams and the rest would be screwed. NBC can put the Whimpy Irish on all they want, but I won't be contributing to those ratings. And that won't help them win games on the field, either. Last night proved that.

I wish college hockey would switch over to the Dark Jersey's at home.

Isn't this something that is controlled by the conference a team plays in? My point being...if it is, can the NCHC look into doing this? Would make our league very unique and seperate it from other conferences in the country!!

I don't disagree on many things, but this is one.

I wouldn't mind if the team picked two home games to wear dark, though, so the fans that aren't able to travel can at least see the other uni's in action. One day would be a green night, the other a black night.

No no no. White at home means seeing Sioux white vs Miami red, Maine blue, Denver maroon, UMD maroon, St Cloud red (or black) and on and on...Sioux dark jerseys means black or green vs white every single weekend.

Why it's a little-known fact that the Dallas Cowboys came up with this idea as a way for fans to see opponents' colors. I'm not a Cowboys fan at all but that idea was BRILLIANT.

No no no. White at home means seeing Sioux white vs Miami red, Maine blue, Denver maroon, UMD maroon, St Cloud red (or black) and on and on...Sioux dark jerseys means black or green vs white every single weekend.

Why it's a little-known fact that the Dallas Cowboys came up with this idea as a way for fans to see opponents' colors. I'm not a Cowboys fan at all but that idea was BRILLIANT.

You seem to be argumentative a lot lately, what would you say if I said that the sky is blue, water is wet and snow is cold.

You seem to be argumentative a lot lately, what would you say if I said that the sky is blue, water is wet and snow is cold.

I would prefer the phrase 'difference of opinion' to argumentative. I do like the idea of third jerseys or big-game jerseys popping up at home now and then. It shouldn't be hard to coordinate in college hockey. UND could always tell Minnesota 'bring your yellow jerseys this weekend' and wear green or black for a home series.

Was it last year when CC wore their yellows at home and the Sioux played in green? That game was a hockey jersey dream.

I wouldn't mind if the team picked two home games to wear dark, though, so the fans that aren't able to travel can at least see the other uni's in action. One day would be a green night, the other a black night.

I could get behind this idea. when is the last time they wore green at home? probably throwback jersey's in 2002-03-ish? Prpich fight vs Paluso from UMD?

Any proof to back that claim up?

I am in agreement....I want dark jerseys at home. It is a slight advantage because you can see your teammates better on the ice. Have you ever played in a large arena (Ralph, X, etc)? when you are on the ice, the glare and the bright lights make is slightly hard to see white jerseys (no much but slightly). Also, when the home fans all wear white it is even harder. I know no stats....but from experience I can vouch to that.

I am in agreement....I want dark jerseys at home. It is a slight advantage because you can see your teammates better on the ice. Have you ever played in a large arena (Ralph, X, etc)? when you are on the ice, the glare and the bright lights make is slightly hard to see white jerseys (no much but slightly). Also, when the home fans all wear white it is even harder. I know no stats....but from experience I can vouch to that.

Sorry, but I have to call BS on this. If you have a tough time seeing your teammates on the ice whether they're wearing white, red, black, blue...I think you may have issues and want to hang the skates up. Whites at home!

It is a slight advantage because you can see your teammates better on the ice. Have you ever played in a large arena (Ralph, X, etc)? when you are on the ice, the glare and the bright lights make is slightly hard to see white jerseys (no much but slightly). Also, when the home fans all wear white it is even harder. I know no stats....but from experience I can vouch to that.

LOL...I'm no professional, but I've played PLENTY of competitive softball and broomball in my day and never, ever, would I say our team had an issue of thinking it was harder to see teammates when we were wearing light jerseys as opposed to our dark jerseys.

Time to call Mythbusters...

The only time I can recall a change like this was in the late 70's when Buffalo switched from white helmets to dark helmets to try to help out QB Joe Ferguson who was color-blind.

LOL...I'm no professional, but I've played PLENTY of competitive softball and broomball in my day and never, ever, would I say our team had an issue of thinking it was harder to see teammates when we were wearing light jerseys as opposed to our dark jerseys.

The only time I can recall a change like this was in the late 70's when Buffalo switched from white helmets to dark helmets to try to help out QB Joe Ferguson who was color-blind.

The other one I would add to that is EWU wearing their red uniforms on their red field, it's a bitch to pick them up on TV and I wonder if it takes the other team a second to find them sometimes. But they are wearing red everything where usually it's only the white jerseys on white ice for hockey and the helmets and breezers are different colors.

I have played at the Ralph during our state tourney's and yes it was harder to see teammates wearing white jerseys...not much, but a little. During the NHL playoffs the home fans would all wear white to cause a "white-out" effect...again, I don't know the stats but it seemed to make a little sense to me.