SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL is Back

sprig

Love college hockey… Obviously I follow UND hockey… Personally, I still prefer a lot of things about the NHL that I don’t like about college hockey.

I also think their officials are way better. I don’t like the Mask in College Hockey or the Progressive DQ rule for fighting. Lose that rule and the face mask and the game would clean up a lot.

Totally agree. The #1 issue for me, personally, are the number of penalties called (in most games). I would say it is not as bad as the WJC's and those Euro-refs but it is out of control. It seems to me there are many times where half the game is played on special teams. The big difference in the way the game is played between the NCAA and the CHL/AHL/NHL is simply the amount of special teams play. It seems to me WCHA refs make the total number of penalties, for both teams, roughly equal by game's end but definitely not "tick for tack". The gophs will have 2-3 PP's in a row....but then at the end of the game (when it is pretty much in the bag) they'll give the Sioux 2-3 PP's (just an example). Now, most of the penalties may be legit (I guess) but many are not...they are simply make-up calls. Again...officiating is terrible at the college level. If my son were good enough to play past high school/juniors I think learing how to play even strength hockey is one of the most important skills; I definitely have heard that being the choice by some kids who take the CHL route rather than NCAA. Sorry I'm rambling off topic....I'll quit.

The gophs will have 2-3 PP's in a row....but then at the end of the game (when it is pretty much in the bag) they'll give the Sioux 2-3 PP's (just an example).

In other conspiracy theory news, 9/11 was an inside job and LBJ was behind the Kennedy assasination.

Also, the Hartford Whalers played adjacent to a mall, not inside one.

If the center ice package isn't free then it's time for major drug testing in the NHL offices in New York. Hell in the non hockey markets that don't sell out tickets should be given to every school or church or boys and girls club or available at the box office for 5.00. This doesn't take a marketing genius to figure out by any means but for some reason I think they will f it up somehow. With a short season the Stanley cup is up for grabs!

It must be crazy right now for all the players over seas heading back, free agents, injuries. I'm getting more and more excited, the center ice package better be free for everyone!

• Upvote 1

Has anyone heard if they plan to give the rest of the season for free on Center Ice?

That would be awesome.

I don't see any way that it won't be free. I've ordered it the past few years but there's no way I'm giving them $1 this year. I'm very excited for the season to start and will be watching come opening day, but won't spend any money on the Center Ice package or other merchandise. If I lived in a city that had NHL hockey I would not spend any money on tickets this year, either - I would/will just be watching on TV. That being said, if DirecTV tries to charge me for the Center Ice package, they're nuts. I plan on getting it for free this year.

I don't see any way that it won't be free. I've ordered it the past few years but there's no way I'm giving them $1 this year. I'm very excited for the season to start and will be watching come opening day, but won't spend any money on the Center Ice package or other merchandise. If I lived in a city that had NHL hockey I would not spend any money on tickets this year, either - I would/will just be watching on TV. That being said, if DirecTV tries to charge me for the Center Ice package, they're nuts. I plan on getting it for free this year.

This is what it says on the Directv site:

NHL CENTER ICE is currently not for sale due to the lockout. As soon as a resolution occurs between the players and the owners, it will once again be available for sale. Considering games will be missed prior to the lock-out being resolved, an adjusted price will be determined when NHL CENTER ICE becomes available for purchase.

Has anyone heard if they plan to give the rest of the season for free on Center Ice?

That would be awesome.

Nah, Bettman and Co. need every dime they muster after paying back the networks and cable carriers for the missed season. Plus they need to support the teams that are always losing money through their own financial mismanagement, including the Wild. And that was even before they signed Parise and Suter. The irony being that Leipold was one of the hardliners whining about player comp in the latest lockout.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/minnesota-wild/

I'm fairly certain Gary will have a telethon or perhaps a bake sale to maintain the status quo of grousing about money, and then move to lockout rumbling in a few years.

They've lost a lot of face which they can't really afford, I'll be interested to see how hard the league will spend money on fan-friendly promotions trying to smooth this over. I don't watch a lot of hockey until the playoffs, but I'm glad they didn't scrap the whole year...that would have set the league back years.

UCONN Hockey is going to play there when they move to Hockey East. I was kind of disappointed with that move.

You were disappointed in UCONN moving to Hockey East or where they will be playing? Don't the men's and women's basketball teams currently play there as well?

In other conspiracy theory news, 9/11 was an inside job and LBJ was behind the Kennedy assasination.

As example, I meant hypothetical....I could have used any two schools....they were simply on my mind. I also could have flip-flopped the teams.

If the center ice package isn't free then it's time for major drug testing in the NHL offices in New York. Hell in the non hockey markets that don't sell out tickets should be given to every school or church or boys and girls club or available at the box office for 5.00. This doesn't take a marketing genius to figure out by any means but for some reason I think they will f it up somehow. With a short season the Stanley cup is up for grabs!

It must be crazy right now for all the players over seas heading back, free agents, injuries. I'm getting more and more excited, the center ice package better be free for everyone!

Center Ice is owned and controlled by cable/satellite providers. NHL has no control over the prices or availability. The only thing they could do is offer free Gamecenter Live. However, that will lead to a lot of bandwidth, streaming issues. Most likely won't see anything free but maybe some discounts on the above products.

Center Ice is owned and controlled by cable/satellite providers. NHL has no control over the prices or availability. The only thing they could do is offer free Gamecenter Live. However, that will lead to a lot of bandwidth, streaming issues. Most likely won't see anything free but maybe some discounts on the above products.

Good point. Well the NHL can fork over what they need to then in a lump sum so we all can enjoy it for free:) glad hockey is back!

Bettman should set up a DUNK TANK in every single market filled with ice cubes. Could raise a couple mil probably as he sits up top shivering away:)

You were disappointed in UCONN moving to Hockey East or where they will be playing? Don't the men's and women's basketball teams currently play there as well?

I could care less, when I lived out east we used to bag on the Whalers for playing in a mall. I don't think that UCONN going to Hockey East is going to make them anyb better.

Actually the Mall is right next to the Arena If not connected, If I am not mistaken. It was at one time.

In 2004, the mall part of the Civic Center was demolished. Condos and retail space went up around the old Coliseum. There has been talk about the NHL returning to Hartford at some point. The only way would be with a new downtown arena.

The arena with the mall around it is still going strong, even though the mall is long gone. The ghosts of Whaler greats, Sylvain Turgeon, Mike Liut, Rick Ley, Blaine Stoughton and Ron Francis still roam the arena.

NHL CENTER ICE is currently not for sale due to the lockout. As soon as a resolution occurs between the players and the owners, it will once again be available for sale. Considering games will be missed prior to the lock-out being resolved, an adjusted price will be determined when NHL CENTER ICE becomes available for purchase.

If they don't offer a smoking deal for basically half a season they are crazy, it should be around 1/3 the price of a full season...but nothing would surprise me.

I will bet money that it's still 100.00+ with almost 1/2 of the season gone.

Let's go Preds!

Ha nice!

My teams go as follow since I was all North Stars growing up but then moved.

Phoenix

Minnesota

Next list of teams just because of players

St Louis

Chicago

Los Angeles

New Jersey has dropped out but sill will be watching zajac. Wonder if Gregorio and Nelson each play in the show this year?

Ha nice!

My teams go as follow since I was all North Stars growing up but then moved.

Phoenix

Minnesota

Next list of teams just because of players

St Louis

Chicago

Los Angeles

New Jersey has dropped out but sill will be watching zajac. Wonder if Gregorio and Nelson each play in the show this year?

I doubt Gregoire will, barring unforeseen circumstances. I definitely think Nelson gets a look.

I like the Preds/Hawks. Hawks for obvious reasons...and they were the closest NHL team to my hometown. Growing up near the Milwaukee Admirals is why I like the Predators. Milwaukee is their farm team.

If they don't offer a smoking deal for basically half a season they are crazy, it should be around 1/3 the price of a full season...but nothing would surprise me.

As someone said earlier...NHL has nothing to do with it. It would be up to your cable or satellite provider. The company that owns all these packages (except NFL) is called inDemand I believe.

Here I found one of the articles on this.

As someone said earlier...NHL has nothing to do with it. It would be up to your cable or satellite provider. The company that owns all these packages (except NFL) is called inDemand I believe.

Here I found one of the articles on this.

I'm sure InDemand is going to charge the same prorated price, any discount will have to be from the NHL's share of the pie, if that will happen is questionable.

I doubt Gregoire will, barring unforeseen circumstances. I definitely think Nelson gets a look.

I like the Preds/Hawks. Hawks for obvious reasons...and they were the closest NHL team to my hometown. Growing up near the Milwaukee Admirals is why I like the Predators. Milwaukee is their farm team.

That's cool on the preds!

Wild would be one but grew up in az and being such a sioux fan I followed them from the get go and was fortunate enough to work under the great one, among many other great people including a few UND Grads who are very high up in the NHL world! But now with Parise back home it's will be a right race between the two! Also add the WILD have revamped their organization with tons of WCHA players!

The others, well how can't you not route for Oshie, Toews and Greener if you aren't a die hard with certain loyalties :)

I could care less, when I lived out east we used to bag on the Whalers for playing in a mall. I don't think that UCONN going to Hockey East is going to make them anyb better.

Not to get bogged down in semantics, but the proper expression is 'I couldn't care less.'