SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL is Back

sprig

Big deal. As long as the NHL under Gary "Three Lockouts and Counting" Bettman keeps its current business model they'll be back at in another few years. The NHL will never have the prominence as the other major sports in the US and the owners fail to grasp that fact and continue to subsidize teams in rotten hockey markets.

Big deal. As long as the NHL under Gary "Three Lockouts and Counting" Bettman keeps its current business model they'll be back at in another few years. The NHL will never have the prominence as the other major sports in the US and the owners fail to grasp that fact and continue to subsidize teams in rotten hockey markets.

I agree with you. I can't believe the league is doing this to themselves again, but supposedly the new CBA will have a 10 year term. So, that would be kinda nice.

Still, we'll probably have another lockout in 10 years..... :crazy:

Actually, there "shouldn't" be another lockout for at least 8 years, under the new agreement.

Actually, there "shouldn't" be another lockout for at least 8 years, under the new agreement.

It'll be interesting to see how many teams come close to folding or go into BK in that timeframe. I believe that about 10 teams are already bleeding money, including the Wild and its new Parise-Suter obligations.

Hopefully Gary Bettman has the common sense to do the following:

Move the Phoenix Coyotes to Canada...either Toronto or Hamilton will do just fine.

Contract the league by folding franchises in Dallas, Tampa Bay, Miami, and Anaheim.

Do NOT let a wacky owner like Charles Wang continue to demolish a

once-proud franchise called the New York Islanders.

Sign Executive Order #318 and send the name 'North Stars' back to Minnesota.

Force Mario Lemieux to change Penguins jerseys back to black and yellow, not black and 'Vegas gold.' And I don't even like Pittsburgh.

Division realignment...NOW! Winnipeg in the Southeast? Minnesota still playing Vancouver 75 times a year? Give me a break!

That's my NHL wish list...for now.

Hopefully Gary Bettman has the common sense to do the following:

Move the Phoenix Coyotes to Canada...either Toronto or Hamilton will do just fine.

Contract the league by folding franchises in Dallas, Tampa Bay, Miami, and Anaheim.

Do NOT let a wacky owner like Charles Wang continue to demolish a

once-proud franchise called the New York Islanders.

Sign Executive Order #318 and send the name 'North Stars' back to Minnesota.

Force Mario Lemieux to change Penguins jerseys back to black and yellow, not black and 'Vegas gold.' And I don't even like Pittsburgh.

Division realignment...NOW! Winnipeg in the Southeast? Minnesota still playing Vancouver 75 times a year? Give me a break!

That's my NHL wish list...for now.

I agree that this needs to happen - and it will - just not this year. Not enough time between now and the start of the season to tackle this. Too many other big things to get in order. However, before next year's season this will be a done deal.

Fehr is equally as bad. If Bettman was doing such a bad job the owners would get rid of him.

Fehr is equally as bad. If Bettman was doing such a bad job the owners would get rid of him.

Agreed. But after the way the players felt "mistreated" in the past, I suppose they felt they needed a tougher driver and Fehr is a Samuel Gompers/Jimmy Hoffa union-type. Not really sympathetic to either side at this point. All I know is the NHL has more work to do than worrying about entry-level salaries and player contract terms if it hopes to to thrive in the future. Mafia Man's wish list is similar to mine, although I'd push for a deeper contraction of teams.

Mafia Man's wish list is similar to mine, although I'd push for a deeper contraction of teams.

I forgot a couple:

Move Carolina Hurricanes back to Hartford. The Whalers will live again.

If we need an expansion team to make an even number, I really like the sound of the Seattle Thunderbirds.

I'm a college hockey fan first and foremost but I do enjoy watching an NHL game or two during the week when the Sioux don't play. And it's mostly to keep up with former Sioux. I'm looking forward to being able to watch Zach Parise on FSN with the Wild as NBC Sports Network rarely showed Devils games (I don't have Center Ice or satellite packages so that was it for me). I also want to see how Matt Frattin does this season with Toronto and Brock Nelson with the Islanders if he's called up.

• Upvote 1

Why not? Go watch some hockey, and purchase some AA batteries, toilet paper, bathroom towels, and school supplies on the same trip...

When I lived in Mass, the Whalers were still in Hartford and Bruins fans used to slamb them with that one. UCONN Hockey is going to play there when they move to Hockey East. I was kind of disappointed with that move.

I'll be back....I simply enjoy watching the best in the world play.

Love college hockey… Obviously I follow UND hockey… Personally, I still prefer a lot of things about the NHL that I don’t like about college hockey.

I also think their officials are way better. I don’t like the Mask in College Hockey or the Progressive DQ rule for fighting. Lose that rule and the face mask and the game would clean up a lot.