SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

He's played in Salzburg for several years and played a year for the Portland Pirates in the AHL. It's definitely not the NHL, but I hardly think that qualifies as "didn't do much."

Considering that he was the top college player in the country and Salzburg is equivalent to the ECHL I would agree scpa.

He's played in Salzburg for several years and played a year for the Portland Pirates in the AHL. It's definitely not the NHL, but I hardly think that qualifies as "didn't do much."

Don't get me wrong....huge Duncan fan here. I'm just saying, he didn't do much....it's due to his size. I have a buddy that played with giroux during the lockout and he averaged over a pt per game through 4 years of college and he'll even say that Europe is nothing on an 82 game season in the pros. Everyone has mad skill over there but your body dictates if you can hang in an NHL season.

Considering that he was the top college player in the country and Salzburg is equivalent to the ECHL I would agree scpa.

Granted, I only saw one game in Salzburg, but I would put the quality above the several Colorado Eagles games I've attended. Definitely not up to the AHL, but above ECHL.

Don't get me wrong....huge Duncan fan here. I'm just saying, he didn't do much....it's due to his size. I have a buddy that played with giroux during the lockout and he averaged over a pt per game through 4 years of college and he'll even say that Europe is nothing on an 82 game season in the pros. Everyone has mad skill over there but your body dictates if you can hang in an NHL season.

I'm not saying Europe has anything on the NHL...I realize how different the talent level and schedules are.

I guess I never really expected to see Duncan in the NHL. I expected him to be a career AHLer or Europe player, primarily due to his size. So, I think he's done fairly well after college. I'd be more likely to apply the "didn't do much" label to someone like Brady Murray (who has roughly the same experience now as Duncan...one year AHL, several years Europe), merely because I expected more out of Brady in the first place.

Granted, I only saw one game in Salzburg, but I would put the quality above the several Colorado Eagles games I've attended. Definitely not up to the AHL, but above ECHL.

I'm not saying Europe has anything on the NHL...I realize how different the talent level and schedules are.

I guess I never really expected to see Duncan in the NHL. I expected him to be a career AHLer or Europe player, primarily due to his size. So, I think he's done fairly well after college. I'd be more likely to apply the "didn't do much" label to someone like Brady Murray (who has roughly the same experience now as Duncan...one year AHL, several years Europe), merely because I expected more out of Brady in the first place.

If your option is to play in Europe or the ECHL I would go with Europe any day. Way better money than the ECHL. Heck if you know that you are never going to make it above the AHL Europe again is a better way to go. Duncan was smart to go to Europe and have a nice career there and make some good money. Having a much better time than banging around in the AHL or ECHL. How fun would it be to roam around Europe in your 20's making a nice salary?

Hanging out at the cabin with a player on a team that plays for a team in the National that says without a doubt UND is the toughest place to play on the road. He says the crowd plays a much bigger part in a game than you can imagine and that the fans around the penalty box at the Ralph really do there homework on parents names etc... That can get to you. Hats off to the student section. I never thought that stuff made a difference but it sure sounds like it can.

If your option is to play in Europe or the ECHL I would go with Europe any day. Way better money than the ECHL. Heck if you know that you are never going to make it above the AHL Europe again is a better way to go. Duncan was smart to go to Europe and have a nice career there and make some good money. Having a much better time than banging around in the AHL or ECHL. How fun would it be to roam around Europe in your 20's making a nice salary?

Agree 100%....although my buddy is also jealous of guys who get real degrees so they wouldn't have to play over in Europe. It is actually very interesting....because those guys are so good and he noted he would trade it all for a great business job in a second. He also noted he would never push his kid to play hockey and he would focus more on school....even though he went in the second round. NHL never panned out for him.

Agree 100%....although my buddy is also jealous of guys who get real degrees so they wouldn't have to play over in Europe. It is actually very interesting....because those guys are so good and he noted he would trade it all for a great business job in a second. He also noted he would never push his kid to play hockey and he would focus more on school....even though he went in the second round. NHL never panned out for him.

What stops someone from getting a real degree and still playing in Europe besides themselves? Many UND guys have played hockey and graduated with real degrees.

I think he's getting at the fact that pro hockey that isn't the NHL is not all its cracked up to be. Making $60-$100k while rarely sleeping in your own bed, taking a toll on your body, and always being a minute from being out of a job is not exactly the stuff dreams are made of...especially as you look at 30.

Getting a degree that can afford you a professional job- science, business, engineering- much better, unless your Toewser of Parise

I think he's getting at the fact that pro hockey that isn't the NHL is not all its cracked up to be. Making $60-$100k while rarely sleeping in your own bed, taking a toll on your body, and always being a minute from being out of a job is not exactly the stuff dreams are made of...especially as you look at 30.

Getting a degree that can afford you a professional job- science, business, engineering- much better, unless your Toewser of Parise

I know that it is not all it is cracked up to be. There are many other rewarding degrees than the ones that you listed. At the same time though millions of people that do not play pro sports make $60-$100K while rarely sleeping in their own beds, travel taking a toll on their bodies, work creating gaps in their family lives e.g. school events, holidays, birthdays, et al. They are also a minute away from losing their jobs e.g. 2008. Many of these people are in their 50s and 60s. That was why I was saying that if you could play in Europe in your 20s and have a great time go for it. But then again when you drive around GF and see where the plumbers, electricians, and other skilled building trades workers live degrees do not always matter.

What stops someone from getting a real degree and still playing in Europe besides themselves? Many UND guys have played hockey and graduated with real degrees.

I meante a degree in business, law, medical, or engineering. Some players do but many do not. Many think they'll have a shot to go pro only to realize their bodies cannot hold up and are stuck bouncing all over Europe with a young Wife and kids.

I meante a degree in business, law, medical, or engineering. Some players do but many do not. Many think they'll have a shot to go pro only to realize their bodies cannot hold up and are stuck bouncing all over Europe with a young Wife and kids.

What do you call other college degrees then? How many of these guys have wives and kids bouncing around Europe? How many military people have young wives and children and bounce all over the world making less money even? Is it so bad that they chase their dreams? This almost sounds like you are jealous that that they had just a little more hockey talent than you did and got the chance. Because you are somewhat blasting them on getting the opportunity to chase the dream you missed out on. They have a lot of time left in their lives to have a "real profession".
  • Upvote 1

What do you call other college degrees then? How many of these guys have wives and kids bouncing around Europe? How many military people have young wives and children and bounce all over the world making less money even? Is it so bad that they chase their dreams? This almost sounds like you are jealous that that they had just a little more hockey talent than you did and got the chance. Because you are somewhat blasting them on getting the opportunity to chase the dream you missed out on. They have a lot of time left in their lives to have a "real profession".

For some reason that's not what I got out of his posts. Perhaps he knows people that would have been better off with a complete education.

This is what I am speaking on...those players that are approaching their high 20's to 30's. However, I do know that they can make more than $100k.

I think you took my post the wrong way. I honestly have no problem with guys chasing their dreams. Sorry if I offended you in any way....I have 3 buddies that all play over in Europe and in more than one conversation they noted they wished they would have focused a little more on school growing up. But again, there are also many other players that went to school and received attractable degrees. Many of those players, however, did not play too many years of semi pro hockey after they graduated....they came back to the workforce.

Your right though, some of those guys can come back and make a great living.

Sorry. You know I wonder how many college athletes when they reach their late 20's or early 30's really regret not focusing on school more? I wonder if it really is any different than the general public? Even more I wonder how many of the guys that bang around forever in the ECHL or CHL what have you do it for lack of other opportunities? Or do they really just love to play? Hockey has been everything to a lot of these guys for so long it has to be real hard to finally give it up. It would be like losing a part of who you are.

One thing no one has touched on here is, Europe is an amazing place to work. I spent 26 months in Germany. Those were some of the best days of my life. Maybe some just want a chance to work in Europe and travel with their family, once your there you can move around pretty easily and for little money as most know, a trip by air to Europe is very expensive. I have heard people say that playing hockey in Europe is a fun experience.

CHL at it again...

DU recruit Connor Chatham has decommitted to join the Plymouth Whalers

http://www.plymouthw...its-to-plymouth

Also, Western Michigan recruit Michael McCarron has reportedly opted to play for the London Knights

http://www.habseyeso...ghts-of-the-ohl

And 4 years from now when Connor is riding a bus in the ECHL for $500-$600 a week he will regret not having gone to college.
  • Upvote 2

How fast can you shoot me in the head for being an idiot? I was looking at where Bjugstad would be at the same time as Kristo. Then he will either end up in Hamilton or Wheeling. Maybe finish the year in Hamilton but next year he will be riding a bus around playing for Wheeling. OK let the crap fly but I will bump this post up next fall when he is in Wheeling. That is unless they change their ECHL affiliate.

And 4 years from now when Connor is riding a bus in the ECHL for $500-$600 a week he will regret not having gone to college.

hmmm.... riding a bus in the ECHL.

Coincidence?

• Upvote 1

CHL at it again...

DU recruit Connor Chatham has decommitted to join the Plymouth Whalers

http://www.plymouthw...its-to-plymouth

Also, Western Michigan recruit Michael McCarron has reportedly opted to play for the London Knights

http://www.habseyeso...ghts-of-the-ohl

I called the McCarron departure....now there will be zero college players drafted in the NHL's first round. When was the last time that happened?