SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 4 UND at Sac St

geaux_sioux

This week UND makes a return trip to Cali with bad intentions. To open up Big Sky play with a win will be huge. Sac St. is 2-1 with a loss at New Mexico St (19-49) a win at garbage Colorado (30-28) with a late FG and a win at home against Northern Colorado (28-17) This team has shown ability to be very good but also mediocre.

On the season they have 2-1 passing to rushing yards and convert on 3rd down at a rate of 33%.

Their QB Garrett Safron is 64 of 102 with 2 ints and 6 TDs on 62.7% for 802 yards on the year.

Ezekiel Graham is the leading rusher with 51 carries for 226 yards and 1 TD.

Their D is giving up 31.4 per game and 294 yards/game passing and 110 yards/game rushing.

I didn't have a chance to listen to the game against SDSU, but the boxscore indicated Kennedy started. Is this accurate?

Not entirely sure but I did hear his name a little bit, as well as Carr and Eric M name called a bit more. Eric M can't tackle. A little change can't be a bad thing for the defense at this point.

Not entirely sure but I did hear his name a little bit, as well as Carr and Eric M name called a bit more. Eric M can't tackle. A little change can't be a bad thing for the defense at this point.

Maybe move Mersereau to cb? He's fast enough and would be a big strong corner. He's a finesse player anyway so I'd rather have that at cb than safety.

• Upvote 1

Obviously this team is fine offensively as far as point production goes, but defense and the run game is where the question mark will be for now. So far not being able to run the ball has made our team pass happy which means our defense will be on the field more. On the road you have to be able to run the clock and keep your defense off the field. Playing catchup last week meant throwing the football more, which is what they had to do, but you need to be able to pound teams down and have five to seven minute drives keeping the other team's athletes off the field.

UND can win a shootout, but you can't continually be in those situations week in week out.

PS: Extremely proud of the guys last week. Battled a pretty good team down to the wire. Baby steps, baby steps.

Maybe move Mersereau to cb? He's fast enough and would be a big strong corner. He's a finesse player anyway so I'd rather have that at cb than safety.

Not a bad idea - it appeared to my amateur eyes that he was lined up on the outside against some receivers against SDSU, so maybe he's the answer to play opposite Daryl Brown the rest of the way, rotating with a few others (I still think Daryl B needs to be on the field every series). At safety, how has Javen Butler looked? Has he had much game experience (don't remember seeing him much against PSU)? Would be nice if he gets some good experience and develops into what I hoped he would once he signed.

Not a bad idea - it appeared to my amateur eyes that he was lined up on the outside against some receivers against SDSU, so maybe he's the answer to play opposite Daryl Brown the rest of the way, rotating with a few others (I still think Daryl B needs to be on the field every series). At safety, how has Javen Butler looked? Has he had much game experience (don't remember seeing him much against PSU)? Would be nice if he gets some good experience and develops into what I hoped he would once he signed.

Ive seen Javen covering kicks but he must still be a little raw with the scheme

Obviously this team is fine offensively as far as point production goes, but defense and the run game is where the question mark will be for now. So far not being able to run the ball has made our team pass happy which means our defense will be on the field more. On the road you have to be able to run the clock and keep your defense off the field. Playing catchup last week meant throwing the football more, which is what they had to do, but you need to be able to pound teams down and have five to seven minute drives keeping the other team's athletes off the field.

UND can win a shootout, but you can't continually be in those situations week in week out.

PS: Extremely proud of the guys last week. Battled a pretty good team down to the wire. Baby steps, baby steps.

This team could have collapsed after the pick six but kept their focus on the whole game not just that one error and stayed with them to the end. I to am proud of this team.