SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

We now know where the line is drawn at NDSU. Committing fraud against the state of North Dakota is not a serious crime according to Gene Taylor. Forging hundreds or even thousands of signatures is considered a minor issue. Anything less than a felony is only a problem if it involves alcohol, sex or violence. Even those may not be a problem if the team needs the player. Honesty and honor are not a concern for the athletic program. After all, the record of the football team is the most important thing at NDSU. If the players feelings are hurt by mean people talking about the crime, then the players have suffered enough and don't need to be punished any further. This has reached a point where it is embarrassing to the entire state. But at NDSU all is well as long as they continue to beat low level FBS teams in football.

• Upvote 1

The way this story was handled by NDSU coaches and administrators has got to go down as one of the most botched handlings of a legal situation concerning a sports team at any school. This is and will continue to be a PR nightmare.

There are more than a few with Ducks Unlimited that are not very impressed with the Bison athletic dept.and NDSU in general right now. Just caue Gene said "this is over", the stink isn't leaving Fargo anytime soon. Like I said, good to know its ok to enter NDSU as a boy and its perfectly acceptable to leave as a criminal as long as you win football games.

I have to admit, that doesn't look good, does it?

I'll go to Greeley this November. I expect there will be about 1000 or so UND fans there. Many living in this area.

NDSU travels well. No doubt about it.

I will be going as well. I was a bit disappointed with the attendance as well because I know there is not that much going on in GF as I have spent pleanty of time there. To top this off that was the most exciting brand of Sioux football I have seen in years; in terms of the casual fan viewpoint because that was a sloppy game otherwise.

Somewhere in the Legislative assembly a cabal will reassemble and restart their attempts to dissolve the ND SBoHE and the concepts of "local control" for universities in this State. This cabal tried recently and failed. This may renew their spiritis and give them the traction they need to succeed. Somewhere Al Carlson smiles.

I think the NCAA should be sending a watchdog into the area to see how things are handled, like talk to the AG, GT, and Craig Bohl in person. Pretty soon the NCAA will say enough is enough. If GT is thinking of being an AD in the FBS...this PR will look good on his resume.

Why? They already have you to do it for them. The Lakes of UND Nation.

If somebody else mentioned this here, my apologies.

But, how and why did those players get those jobs. That might be innocent enough, the way the job situation in North Dakota is right now.

But, what if they were given those jobs because of their high profile in the community. Their minor celebrity status in Fargo as members of the football team? What if that company hired them on that basis alone, thinking that their faces would help the petition drive? What if the players were aware of their hiring due to their minor celebrity status as NDSU football players in Fargo? Is that an NCAA violation just by itself, not to mention their criminal activity in forging signatures?

Just throwing this out there. We need us some lawyers to respond! :)

C'mon. These companies hire pretty much anyone that applies. It's not like they were wearing their jerseys while trying to get signatures.

C'mon. These companies hire pretty much anyone that applies. It's not like they were wearing their jerseys while trying to get signatures.

You might be right. But, on the other hand, why did all these players get these jobs? What motivated this company to hire a bunch of NDSU football players?

I

You might be right. But, on the other hand, why did all these players get these jobs? What motivated this company to hire a bunch of NDSU football players?

I

I hate to break it to you but not a lot of people want to stand outside and talk people into signing petitions for $9 an hour. Its the typical summer job for college students.

I hate to break it to you but not a lot of people want to stand outside and talk people into signing petitions for $9 an hour. Its the typical summer job for college students.

That's true. But it is interesting that 13 current or former NDSU football players were working together. It might be perfectly innocent, but it will be reviewed considering the circumstances.

The didn't even try to get signitures so whether they were wearing their jersey's is a pretty mute point. :lol:

That's true. But it is interesting that 13 current or former NDSU football players were working together. It might be perfectly innocent, but it will be reviewed considering the circumstances.

Most of the time it starts with one or two guys getting a job and then it starts a pipeline that brings other guys to that job. Back in the early 2000's a lot of guys worked for the city doing street repair. They didn't get hired because they were NDSU athletes, they hired one guy and he referred a few other guys and pretty soon you have 20 guys working at the same place. Same thing on all college campuses in the summer, but NDSU football players have a pretty limited time that they are able to have summer jobs during the day. To find a job that is easy on the body and pays decent is the priority of all athletes in the summer.

• Upvote 1

Most of the time it starts with one or two guys getting a job and then it starts a pipeline that brings other guys to that job. Back in the early 2000's a lot of guys worked for the city doing street repair. They didn't get hired because they were NDSU athletes, they hired one guy and he referred a few other guys and pretty soon you have 20 guys working at the same place. Same thing on all college campuses in the summer, but NDSU football players have a pretty limited time that they are able to have summer jobs during the day. To find a job that is easy on the body and pays decent is the priority of all athletes in the summer.

I think I have been on those streets in Fargo, they are the ones with all of the cracks and holes in them...makes sense now, bison players faked that too I guess.

I think I have been on those streets in Fargo, they are the ones with all of the cracks and holes in them...makes sense now, bison players faked that too I guess.

Man you guys are really on a roll here, keep the zingers coming they are hilarious.

Yes, it does happen that way for a lot of college students, not just athletes. But there are also cases where a company will hire athletes on purpose for whatever reason. And because of the other issues associated with this employment, I'm sure that someone will at least ask about how they were employed or why the company hired so many football players.

So apparently the "day in court" comment has already been proven false per Taylor's comment. Taylor says "it's over", which is weird since they haven't went to court yet. I guess Bohl's comments were just a bunch of hot air used to put everyone at bay for the week.

Also can't wait to see the spin on what looks to be one of the starting linebacker's who has two alcohol related offenses since May and has yet to be disciplined along with resisting a police officer charge....I thought there were consequences for those types of violations?

Edit - The first one was from May, 2011.

So apparently the "day in court" comment has already been proven false per Taylor's comment. Taylor says "it's over", which is weird since they haven't went to court yet. I guess Bohl's comments were just a bunch of hot air used to put everyone at bay for the week.

Also can't wait to see the spin on what looks to be one of the starting linebacker's who has two alcohol related offenses since May and has yet to be disciplined along with resisting a police officer charge....I thought there were consequences for those types of violations?

People have been saying mean things about them. That is more than enough penalty according to Gene Taylor. They didn't deserve to have all of those mean things said, they only forged hundreds of signatures on legal documents and defrauded the state of North Dakota. Bohl is now following the orders of his boss. Anything goes for Bison football players as long as no one gets hurt or exposes themselves.