SiouxSports.com Forum

New SBoHE Admission Standards

GeauxSioux

ND chancellor proposes higher education changes; stricter admission standards at UND

Hamid Shirvani, chancellor of the North Dakota University System, has proposed a major overhaul to the state’s higher education system – an overhaul that stands to affect nearly every future North Dakota college student.

Shirvani released details of his proposal, which aims to increase the quality of public higher education in the state, to the Grand Forks Herald editorial board this morning.

• A requirement that all remedial education courses be handled by the community colleges. No longer would UND or NDSU faculty be teaching remedial courses to incoming students. Currently, 23 percent of all university system students require remedial education. At UND the percentage is 5.4 percent, and 13.6 percent at NDSU. Dickinson State’s numbers are 28 percent, according to statistics provided by Shirvani.

• Tuition waivers would no longer be offered under Shirvani’s plan, except in a handful of cases. Shirvani is hoping to standardize tuition-waiver practices across the board.

Looks like the changes would probably result in a reduction in enrollment, but hopefully an improvement in the overall academic level of the universities. Those remedial class numbers really stick out. I wonder if all the ND universities calculate those percentages the same way. If so, :cool:

This clown is a jerk. Had harrassment charges against him while in California. Involved in accusing students who challenged some of his financial records of breaking into his office after they removed documents from a dumpster.. Drives a Porche rag top. Firing staff and replacing with attorneys. Egotistical and history of ignoring law. Replace furniture and remodeled office. Has three rows of pictures and documents on his wall. Tries to intimidate. Rude. This may be the tool those legislators use to get control of higher ed. Would be nice to have Chuck Haga or someone expose this jerk before he destoys higher ed in N. Dak. Last Chancellor ineffective but this guy isn't the answer. Disappointed that our SBoHE selected him over better candidates. He presents a danger to higher ed and college students in N. Dak.

This clown is a jerk. Had harrassment charges against him while in California. Involved in accusing students who challenged some of his financial records of breaking into his office after they removed documents from a dumpster.. Drives a Porche rag top. Firing staff and replacing with attorneys. Egotistical and history of ignoring law. Replace furniture and remodeled office. Has three rows of pictures and documents on his wall. Tries to intimidate. Rude. This may be the tool those legislators use to get control of higher ed. Would be nice to have Chuck Haga or someone expose this jerk before he destoys higher ed in N. Dak. Last Chancellor ineffective but this guy isn't the answer. Disappointed that our SBoHE selected him over better candidates. He presents a danger to higher ed and college students in N. Dak.

I'd listen to Ira on this one, folks... me thinks he knows of what he speaks on this one (and most everything else). #goodintel.

The remedial education courses is a head scratcher to me, although UND seems to have a low percentage. I happen to know a couple of very intelligent bordering on brilliant people that were not very good at English. In all other aspects of their education they were very bright. Are they not allowed into UND because of this flaw?

Well, IMO, somebody needs to get control of higher ed and the SBHE hasn't done it. This guy was appointed by the SBHE, so maybe this is them finally taking control rather than waiting for the legislature and a constitutional vote to do it. I guess I don't know all the behind the scenes stuff that has made you dislike the guy, but the proposals mentioned in the article appeared reasonable. Any specific ND instances you can mention? I take the California stuff with a large grain of salt because no faculty is going to be happy with upper admin when funding is cut.

The remedial education courses is a head scratcher to me, although UND seems to have a low percentage. I happen to know a couple of very intelligent bordering on brilliant peopole that were not very good at English. In all other aspects of their education they were very bright. Are they not allowed into UND because of this flaw?

Good question, I'm guessing they would still be allowed to enroll but the remedial courses would be online or through IVN and taught by cheaper instructors who actually care about the remedial students.

if that is the case he won't be here long then...

I really think this is a good idea, at least a place to start off from. Admission standards should be higher, and i think that the percentage of people who don't finish school, but start, is evident of that (I realize there are lots of other factors involved). He seems to understand we need to remove some unnecessary components of higher ed and the remedial class aspect shows that. Understand this probably a bargaining chip and will be watered down a bit.

Color me not impressed.

This just seems like a reason to keep colleges that should be shut down open. (I'm looking at Valley City, Mayville, Willston, Bottineau, and Devils Lake.)

With you on that one. You forgot Dickinson and Minot. OK seriously what remedial classes are there in what subjects? History? No. Biology? No. Chem? No. Pysch? No. Geology? No. Geography? No. Aviation? No. English? No. Business? No. Anthro? No. Sociology? No. Engineering? No. Nursing? No. Education? No. That pretty much leaves math as the only possible one unless someone else can think of what I am missing.

Houston, I think we have a problem.

In April 2010, California Attorney General Edmund G. Brown, Jr. announced an investigation to accusations that the university officials including Hamid Shirvani violated public records laws when they refused to reveal the financial details of a contract with former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to speak at a university fundraiser, and allegedly shredded documents related to the agreement.[5]

The contract was reportedly found in a recycling bin along with other CSU documents. These were found by two unnamed CSUS students after a tip they received stating that there was documents being shredded at the CSU on a Furlough Day. In August 2010, the Attorney General concluded his investigation and found that there was no misappropriation of funds by the Foundation and no violation of law. [6]

In November 2009 the General Faculty of CSU Stanislaus voted for a measure of No Confidence in CSU Stanislaus President Hamid Shirvani. The motivation for the vote according to the Academic Senate was "Shirvani’s abandonment of the shared governance process, the deteriorating working relationship between Shirvani and faculty, and Shirvani’s seeming lack of understanding of the mission of the CSU system."

wiki for what is worth but there are citations.

More:

http://davisvanguard.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3367:david-m-greenwald&Itemid=112

http://www.turlockcitynews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=943&Itemid=31

Rob Port has the settlement he made with a secretary over something.

I wonder how much of this is going to impact recruiting non qualifying student athletes.

I thought that also. You would not be able to bring them in and redshirt them or whatever you have to do to get them eligible to play. Am I right or wrong with this? Someone I am sure will know the answer because I do not for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

SBHE Agenda September 5, 2012

This should make for some interesting debates in Bismarck...

"Under Access, the proposal seeks to clearly differentiate the three types of institutions

that constitute the North Dakota University System of five community colleges (BSC,

DCB, LRSC, NDSCS & WSC), four regional universities (DSU, MaSU, MiSU & VCSU) and

two research universities (NDSU & UND) to improve Access for success."

I wonder if all the ND universities calculate those percentages the same way. If so, :cool:

late comment, but a guy on bisonville showed that remedial rates for both schools are higher than reported, and roughly equivalent. NDSU has on average higher entrance scores by a trivial amount.

Good luck recruiting grad students in science and engineering without tuition wavers. :silly: This new chairman guy comes across as a moron.

late comment, but a guy on bisonville showed that remedial rates for both schools are higher than reported, and roughly equivalent. NDSU has on average higher entrance scores by a trivial amount.

Good luck recruiting grad students in science and engineering without tuition wavers. :silly: This new chairman guy comes across as a moron.

I don't think anybody has talked about completely eliminating tuition waivers. It's mainly undergraduate tuition waivers the chancellor is concerned about, and I believe he wants to cap undergrad tuition waivers at 5% of the total tuition dollars a university brings in.

• 1 month later...

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/377286/publisher_ID/1/

Letter to the editor from Chancellor Shirvani.....

How can we set our collective sights on attracting the ablest students from around the country and from around the world to enrich our state with highly skilled and highly motivated professionals? How do we keep the best and brightest from North Dakota from seeking education in another state? The Pathways to Student Success proposal lays out a plan that will address our low graduation rates, standardize tuition, and assess how well our secondary schools are preparing students for higher education. With a focus on accountability and transparency, this proposal creates a clear system that will best serve students – demanding that they be prepared and then giving them an effective education to meet their needs. By doing so, we will attract the better students – and faculty – and see greater success across the board.

There is no greater risk to a university than complacency. Our students, their families, and the residents of North Dakota expect much more from us.