SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

When was the last recruiting class at UND that has done something on the field that you could describe as "successful"? Be prepared to explain your definition of "success".

If this staff spent half the time chest bumping on the field due to quality play, as they have on the recruiting trail, they would still be employed.

When was the last recruiting class at UND that has done something on the field that you could describe as "successful"? Be prepared to explain your definition of "success".

If this staff spent half the time chest bumping on the field due to quality play, as they have on the recruiting trail, they would still be employed.

2007 was our last somewhat successful year on the field. I'm not sure I'd blame the recruits for what has happened since then though.

He was the recruiting coordinator for the last two classes so I'd say he's done ok.

My problem with the recruiting is that we have made 60 offers and had 1 verbal commit. If he was such a great recruiter of talent, you wouldn't have to throw offers out to 60 kids with the hopes to get someone. It doesn't make the offer sound very important when you offer 3 kids at every position. I think it makes you look desperate and unsure of who you want. Feel free to defend these guys, but I have been less than impressed.

My problem with the recruiting is that we have made 60 offers and had 1 verbal commit. If he was such a great recruiter of talent, you wouldn't have to throw offers out to 60 kids with the hopes to get someone. It doesn't make the offer sound very important when you offer 3 kids at every position. I think it makes you look desperate and unsure of who you want. Feel free to defend these guys, but I have been less than impressed.

In the next couple of years we will see how he was as a recruiter since the upperclassmen will be his recruits.

In the next couple of years we will see how he was as a recruiter since the upperclassmen will be his recruits.

Doesn't the current group of seniors tell us that?

I think there were three guys from the ac that went to the NFL that had no postseason to play for during their time in college, so let's not go there either.

I think there were three guys from the ac that went to the NFL that had no postseason to play for during their time in college, so let's not go there either.

Mays and Dahl had no shot at postseason. Schommer and Humber were playoff eligible their senior year only.

Kotelnicki wasn't the recruiting coordinator for the next group of seniors. That was Belmore. Kotelnicki's first group would be Jameer Jackson and company.

My problem with the recruiting is that we have made 60 offers and had 1 verbal commit.

Could it be that recruits found this forum and somehow determined that the Mussman regime was on the hot seat?

Could it be that the 60 or so you reference are letting the dust settle before making a decision?

I know it's crazy, but folks do like some level of certainty when making big decisions.

If they'd all have committed elsewhere already, then I'd be concerned.

We have made far more than 60 offers this year. According to wiki, we have 1 commit, 56 offers pending, and 27 offerees that have committed elsewhere for a total of *84*. Yes sir, 84 offers and 1 lonely commit. But then, I was reassured a couple weeks ago that there was no reason to panic. The extra good players don't make up their minds until the signing day. I think I'll choose to worry.

I hope the next coach tagets players that we need and can get, rather than doing a wholesale offering of every kid out there.

We have made far more than 60 offers this year. According to wiki, we have 1 commit, 56 offers pending, and 27 offerees that have committed elsewhere for a total of *84*. Yes sir, 84 offers and 1 lonely commit. But then, I was reassured a couple weeks ago that there was no reason to panic. The extra good players don't make up their minds until the signing day. I think I'll choose to worry.

I hope the next coach tagets players that we need and can get, rather than doing a wholesale offering of every kid out there.

I dont know how many times people have to have it explained to them how "offers" work these days. We did not offer 80+ players. Stupid.

I dont know how many times people have to have it explained to them how "offers" work these days. We did not offer 80+ players. Stupid.

"offers" + "offered but committed elsewhere"+ "committed players" = 84. If they aren't actual offers, then why call them that on wiki?????

So guys....this is Mama Sue....I have some things to say about this topic...

1) Kids talk to kids, not even the same sport. A wrestler with a poor experience will tell a hockey player and football player AND his sister's volleyball team. The recruit goes somewhere else.

2) Ever sat in the office of an OC who is the acting head coach, who knows he won't be there in a month or two? I have and I would tell you he was the most professional ever! Very few would sink to the level that is feared here. They are still under contract, even if they are lame ducks. More about this under another topic....watch for it.

3) Yes, the last week before signing is very hectic and decisions are made overnight. But the decision is between two, not 4 or 5 schools. Will UND be one of the two?

4) Yes, the student commits and when you go to the first " warm up game" "intro to the team" or whatever, you are amazed that the team recruited 4 deep in every position!!! Wake up call! Who will survive to really play....do you think these redshirts are thinking this now?

5) Since the move up, just exactly WHAT can UND offer recruits? No play offs, a weak conference that barely wanted them, and national publicity about a name dispute. What you see in upperclassmen is this. That is no fault of the coaches who recruited. They did their best but little to offer and lots of competition.

6) Ever stood in line at Herberger's or Macy's when the young person is busy talking or worse yet on her cell phone and the 55 to 65 year old emplyee is doing everything? Ever walked into Office Max or Home Depot and no one helps you? Do you think this work ethic carries over to the field? The true dedication to make a team great comes from the field, granted helped by coaching, but it is the players. I totally agree that some of the behavior and mistakes this season would be ironed out in a 9th grade team with a solid high school program....major taken care. So your class determines their own personal goals and committment, not coaches. Coaches who leave the box and go to the field are doing their job.

There is a lot of time to recruit but someof this may not be changed until this freshman class graduates...that is just the way it is!!