SiouxSports.com Forum

FORUM: What's a bigger deal: NDSU football or UND hockey?

bincitysioux

Wow.

Just ... wow.

This passes for "journalism" in today's Fargo Forum.

I thought these "shoe size" measuring contests ended at the gates to the fourth-grade playground.

The Herald is also involved.

This poll is stupid. And any argument comparing the two programs is equally stupid. Tomorrow's equally useless, lets stir the pot poll: UND Med/Law School vs NDSU Land grant programs, YOU MAKE THE CALL. :crazy:

I like how Bison fans on Bville love the attendance comparison...of course they average just over 11,000 at the REA...its called capacity. I see NDSU had some 15,000 and 16,000 seasons in the last 5 years....what happened did the fans jump off the bandwagon? Instead of avg per game (since the dome holds 19,000 and the REA 11,640) they should compare % capacity. Comparing the Fargodome to the REA would be like comparing the Rose Bowl to the Fargodome.

I like how Bison fans on Bville love the attendance comparison...of course they average just over 11,000 at the REA...its called capacity. I see NDSU had some 15,000 and 16,000 seasons in the last 5 years....what happened did the fans jump off the bandwagon? Instead of avg per game (since the dome holds 19,000 and the REA 11,640) they should compare % capacity. Comparing the Fargodome to the REA would be like comparing the Rose Bowl to the Fargodome.

Also their market is twice as large as ours.

Shows less interest in football per capita than there is for hockey.

Well you are free to think that, you just have absolutely nothing to base that on. Because everyone knows when it comes down to football interest vs. hockey interest, football always wins in America.

• Upvote 1

Both programs are solid. No doubt about that. But if you want to compare one thing that is going to differentiate them, you can't take lightly the issue of the top end talent in their respective sport is more likely playing UND hockey. Yes, NDSU has great players. Some which go to the NFL. But the top players in college football don't play at NDSU, UND, Montana, or anywhere in the FCS. The top college football payers play at schools like Alabama, LSU, USC, etc. In college hockey, the top college players many times play at UND. Guys like Parise, Oshie, Toews, etc were the one of the best college players when they attended UND. They were the best hcokey players at their age at the time. And know they are competing at the highest level in the NHL and are the top players in that league now.

So while it is tough to compare two different sports, you can't argue that the level of talent that goes through the UND hockey program is better than the level of talent that goes through the NDSU football program in regards to the atheletes in the sport at that level.

Well you are free to think that, you just have absolutely nothing to base that on. Because everyone knows when it comes down to football interest vs. hockey interest, football always wins in America.

Except in North Dakota. Besides Fargo, the rest of the state follows the UND hockey team religiously. NDSU football? Not so much. Hell, the closet fans in Minot barely came out when the Bison won the title.

Leave the confines of Fargo area and head west, everyone is more interested in UND hockey.

Sure I do. Over 100K in the Fargo market but only draw 15K-16K. UND market 60K but draws 11+K.

Sioux hockey brings in way more money even with the higher salaries paid to Hakstol and company. The funny thing is that this poll comes up directly after the Bison win a "National" Championship, and the Sioux haven't won a National Championship in a while. How do you even know if your vote goes through, because after I hit the vote button it didn't take me anywhere. Shouldn't it take you to the results?

Except in North Dakota. Besides Fargo, the rest of the state follows the UND hockey team religiously. NDSU football? Not so much. Hell, the closet fans in Minot barely came out when the Bison won the title.

Leave the confines of Fargo area and head west, everyone is more interested in UND hockey.

Oh really? The state follows UND hockey religiously? That is a lie. If you ask people to name a UND hockey player, they won't be able to do it. If they followed UND hockey religiously, they'd be able to tell you UND's first line easily.

This is the most ridiculous argument ever. Both are successful in their respective sports. Very difficult to try and make an argument one way or another.

Sure I do. Over 100K in the Fargo market but only draw 15K-16K. UND market 60K but draws 11+K.

NDSU draws 18,000 or so. 15K is if they are having a bad year.

So is Notre Dame obviously bigger than USC because while USC gets more fans at their games, they have the LA market while Notre Dame has the significantly smaller South Bend market?

Is Nebraska bigger than Oklahoma because Nebraska is based out of Lincoln, and gets an extremely good attendence compared to Oklahoma being in the bigger Oklahoma City market with a similar attendence?

Maybe a newspaper poll can also settle the eternal debate of "Less Filling" versus "Tastes Great" ...

Haha well played....this is about where this pointless debate is going anyway so I am going with less filling; nothing worse that trying to drink beer when belly is extremely full.