SiouxSports.com Forum

Football Champs

breakin face

Agree. I'm always the optimist and I think North Dakota has a chance to win all of these games, but I'm also a realist. It doesn't matter who the FBS team is, they will always be tough to beat. I like our chances against Montana at home this season, not so much against the Cats on the road. I know EWU has a good track record, but for some reason, they don't really strike fear in my heart...............

EWU should be good this year. Last year they lost a few rough ones to start. Big transfer coming in who I believe is the reason their most recent QB transferred there oddly enough. Regardless, they know how to sling the rock around the yard.

Wasn't that said about Sioux Falls? No game is a guarantee.

Although your message is quite cliché in the world of college sports, I certainly understand why. Yes, it is possible that UND could lose to SDSoM, but in regards to probability UND has a > 95% chance of winning. I’ll take those odds as a guarantee given the rest of UND’s 2012 schedule. Also, Sioux Falls is a much better team than SDSoM, who I believe went winless last season. In addition, Sioux Falls beat SDSoM last season by a score of 71 – 0. Oh, and some people (including myself) are hoping UND can make the D1 FCS playoffs this season. With all the excitement that likely will be in the Alerus on August 30, I’ll take this year’s improved UND squad in a rout and do it without a second thought.

With all that said, you still should never take an opponent for granted; therefore, the above is really just jabber as I impatiently wait for our inaugural Big Sky season!

Although your message is quite cliché in the world of college sports, I certainly understand why. Yes, it is possible that UND could lose to SDSoM, but in regards to probability UND has a > 95% chance of winning. I’ll take those odds as a guarantee given the rest of UND’s 2012 schedule. Also, Sioux Falls is a much better team than SDSoM, who I believe went winless last season. In addition, Sioux Falls beat SDSoM last season by a score of 71 – 0. Oh, and some people (including myself) are hoping UND can make the D1 FCS playoffs this season. With all the excitement that likely will be in the Alerus on August 30, I’ll take this year’s improved UND squad in a rout and do it without a second thought.

With all that said, you still should never take an opponent for granted; therefore, the above is really just jabber as I impatiently wait for our inaugural Big Sky season!

I give UND a 99.99999999999999999% chance at beating SDSoM. ;) I hope geaux_sioux is right that this UND team is not the garbage team that fell to SF. I do hope UND puts up a 70 or so on SDSoM. Maybe a good 42 at halftime to give the youngsters some gametime. Then when PSU comes to town all the bugs have been worked out and we can start our march to the playoffs!!!

• Upvote 2

I am sure this has been talked about in another thread, but what record would UND need to achieve for you guys to feel the season was a success? I just popped over and looked at the schedule and it looks formidable.

Looking at that schedule, I would think 5-6 or better would have to be considered a great success. Thoughts?

5-6 would be a GREAT success? :silly:

I would say 6-5 is a realistic goal and with some luck they could go 7-4.

I should have phrased that differently I suppose. I would consider 5-6 pretty darn good, 6-5 is the most likely with that schedule, and everything better than that would be considered a great success.

My expectations are 7-3 (I'm not counting Mines).

• 5 wins (Sac. St, Cal-Poly, Northern AZ, Southern Utah, & Northern Colo.).
  • 2 games that could go either way (Portland St., Montana)
  • 3 games were we will have to play mistake free football to win (Eastern Wash., Mont. St., & San Diego St.)

Win the 5 listed at the top, split the middle two and sneak a win out of the last 3 and we're sitting at 7-3 and in the playoffs. Obviously staying healthy will be key but our secondary needs to improve and our qb play needs to be consistent. I'm expecting 7-3, 6-4 would be disappointing, especially with the Mines game as a non counter.

• 3 games were we will have to play mistake free football to win (Eastern Wash., Mont. St., & San Diego St.)

Win the 5 listed at the top, split the middle two and sneak a win out of the last 3 and we're sitting at 7-3 and in the playoffs. Obviously staying healthy will be key but our secondary needs to improve and our qb play needs to be consistent. I'm expecting 7-3, 6-4 would be disappointing, especially with the Mines game as a non counter.

Not saying there is anything wrong with having high expectations, but to expect what in reality amounts to 8-3 with that schedule is pretty lofty IMO.

Not saying there is anything wrong with having high expectations, but to expect what in reality amounts to 8-3 with that schedule is pretty lofty IMO.

I understand that. As I said, I feel like our qb play will be better next year and that will help our offense tremendously. If our young secondary improves, I feel 7-3 isn't out of the question. I'm not expecting a sub .500 season with this team. Nothing wrong wih lofty expectations, I feel the team and the coaches are up for that.

I understand that. As I said, I feel like our qb play will be better next year and that will help our offense tremendously. If our young secondary improves, I feel 7-3 isn't out of the question. I'm not expecting a sub .500 season with this team. Nothing wrong wih lofty expectations, I feel the team and the coaches are up for that.

I really hope we don't end up 6-4 and that Mines game is out 7th win. that would be a real buzz kill.

Well from an outsiders perspective, I would be extremely impressed with a 7-4 season with that schedule in UND's first year of eligibility.

I am sure this has been talked about in another thread, but what record would UND need to achieve for you guys to feel the season was a success? I just popped over and looked at the schedule and it looks formidable.

Looking at that schedule, I would think 5-6 or better would have to be considered a great success. Thoughts?

I think last year's team probably goes 4-7 or 5-6 playing this year's schedule. I also think this year's team will be significanly better than last year's. That being said, I realistically expect a 6-5 record but see no reason why they couldn't exceed that expectation. With the likely exception of San Diego State, this team should be competitive to the point that they're in a position to win every game if a few bounces go their way and a few guys make some big plays.

I think UND could go 8-3 with losses to EWU, MSU, and SDSU. I think UND at home against Montana helps out alot, plus with Montana's offseason problems they could either still be strong or they could be a middle of the pack team. Hard to say with them.

I think UND could go 8-3 with losses to EWU, MSU, and SDSU. I think UND at home against Montana helps out alot, plus with Montana's offseason problems they could either still be strong or they could be a middle of the pack team. Hard to say with them.

I also like that we have Cal Poly at home again. Last year we didn't play very well against them so I hope the guys are looking for a little revenge.

If Joe Kleason and Lynch are 100% by the start of the season and Dwayne Brown is also 100% then we will have a very good team. At safety someone needs to step up. Mersereau needs to learn how to tackle and find the ball in the air to make the impact that someone with his athletic prowess should easily make. If we can find two consistent safeties we could win up to 9 games with all variables being favorable such and injuries and crucial calls. I bet this team has 6-9. 9-2 equals playoffs and maybe hosting a game or two. 8-3 equals playoffs on the road (FargoDome?). 7-4 equals shouldn't have scheduled SDSSMTOSD

I would be very hesitant putting cal poly in the 'win' category. They should be a good team again. I would give UND the edge at home, but not by much. With their schedule, they could easily wind up winning the conference.

I'm thinking UND goes 6-5 or 7-4. EWU and MSU are probably losses, and UND splits SDSU, CP UM and PSU, and maybe one loss to a bottom feeder team.

How do the pollsters keep Montana and Montana State straight?

if you recall, at one point last season 1-7 MSU was getting a significant number of votes. (i'm assuming they meant to vote for 7-1 MSU). Delaware State (an utterly worthless program) has also been known to get significant numbers of votes in the midst of their consistantly terrible seasons. GSU and GSU have also had problems. For MSU and UM it would be more difficult to tell, since both programs are typically pretty decent.

It's certainly more plausible that a voter or two accidentally voted for UND instead of NDSU than that a large number of voters found enough merit in a loss to a bad fresno state team to push a 1-2 team coming off an unimpressive win over a non-scholarship team and a humiliating blowout loss to one of the worst programs in the fbs into the rankings while simultaneous deciding to drop bye-week NDSU on average by six spots in the poll with the total number of lost votes being nearly identical to the number of votes UND gained.

1) teams have been known to be mistaken in the polls, something everyone knows except UND fans.

2) UND jumped into the rankings after a loss

3) UND was 1-2 win a bleh win, a bad loss, and a respectable loss

4) NDSU dropped by nearly the same number of votes that UND gained

5) NDSU was on a bye week.

That UND fans as a whole won't accept even the possibility that this could have happened is downright delusional.

I would be very hesitant putting cal poly in the 'win' category. They should be a good team again. I would give UND the edge at home, but not by much. With their schedule, they could easily wind up winning the conference.

I'm thinking UND goes 6-5 or 7-4. EWU and MSU are probably losses, and UND splits SDSU, CP UM and PSU, and maybe one loss to a bottom feeder team.

Given the quality of their team combined with their weak sauce schedule, I think Cal Poly will definately finish in the top 3 of the league at worst. It is just that they are good match-up for North Dakota. I give the edge to the home team.

if you recall, at one point last season 1-7 MSU was getting a significant number of votes. (i'm assuming they meant to vote for 7-1 MSU). Delaware State (an utterly worthless program) has also been known to get significant numbers of votes in the midst of their consistantly terrible seasons. GSU and GSU have also had problems. For MSU and UM it would be more difficult to tell, since both programs are typically pretty decent.

It's certainly more plausible that a voter or two accidentally voted for UND instead of NDSU than that a large number of voters found enough merit in a loss to a bad fresno state team to push a 1-2 team coming off an unimpressive win over a non-scholarship team and a humiliating blowout loss to one of the worst programs in the fbs into the rankings while simultaneous deciding to drop bye-week NDSU on average by six spots in the poll with the total number of lost votes being nearly identical to the number of votes UND gained.

1) teams have been known to be mistaken in the polls, something everyone knows except UND fans.

That UND fans as a whole won't accept even the possibility that this could have happened is downright delusional.

I'll acknowledge that teams get mixed up from time to time. But what is actually downright delusional is the fact that NDSU fans as a whole can't accept the possiblity that last season's 8-3 conference champion North Dakota team could have possibly received poll votes based on their own merits. For some reason, NDSU fans think that the only plausible way that a 8-3 conference champion North Dakota team could possibly spend virtually an entire season as a ranked team, and at one point be ranked in 3 different polls, would only be because the vast majority of the voters meant to cast their votes for NDSU. Almost a year later, NDSU fans are beside themselves over the fact that North Dakota made the polls last season. Delusional................

Given the quality of their team combined with their weak sauce schedule, I think Cal Poly will definately finish in the top 3 of the league at worst. It is just that they are good match-up for North Dakota. I give the edge to the home team.

I'll acknowledge that teams get mixed up from time to time. But what is actually downright delusional is the fact that NDSU fans as a whole can't accept the possiblity that last season's 8-3 conference champion North Dakota team could have possibly received poll votes based on their own merits. For some reason, NDSU fans think that the only plausible way that a 8-3 conference champion North Dakota team could possibly spend virtually an entire season as a ranked team, and at one point be ranked in 3 different polls, would only be because the vast majority of the voters meant to cast their votes for NDSU. Almost a year later, NDSU fans are beside themselves over the fact that North Dakota made the polls last season. Delusional................

please keep in mind that we aren't talking about the end of the season, we are talking week 3. While the merits of UND's end of season position are certainly a topic worth of discussion (and i'm satisfied with UND's ranking as being roughly in line with reality), it is separate from the issue at hand which is a 1-2 team with no good wins suddenly jumping into the polls while a highly ranked team with a similar name drops by nearly an identical number of votes the same week while not playing a game. Lots of outsiders might mock UND's rank, record, or best win, but I don't think many people have a fundamental problem with UND being ranked or receiving votes aside from the inconstancy of ranking UND above Cal Poly.

But the question is why should it matter to su and why are they still talking about it 6 months later? Those with ties to the Flagship University of the state of North Dakota know the answer.

But the question is why should it matter to su and why are they still talking about it 6 months later? Those with ties to the Flagship University of the state of North Dakota know the answer.

it seems to come up here more than anywhere else. If the positions were reversed, i think we all know that this place would go rabid, and would never let it drop ever. The NDSU/UND rivalry seems to be much deeper on the grand forks side. Alot of it comes to downright bitterness of NDSU/fargo's success over the past decade. It hurts to see 'little brother' catch up, and in some ways surpass UND.

it seems to come up here more than anywhere else. If the positions were reversed, i think we all know that this place would go rabid, and would never let it drop ever. The NDSU/UND rivalry seems to be much deeper on the grand forks side. Alot of it comes to downright bitterness of NDSU/fargo's success over the past decade. It hurts to see 'little brother' catch up, and in some ways surpass UND.

This was restarted with Kolpack on the radio talking about it again. We find it funny. You NDSU fans and Kolpack have now spent 10 months worrying about UNDs ranking in week 3 of a nat'l championship season. But carry on trying to drag UND fans into this and tell us how we would handle it, its giving me a good laugh.

• Upvote 1

This was restarted with Kolpack on the radio talking about it again. We find it funny. You NDSU fans and Kolpack have now spent 10 months worrying about UNDs ranking in week 3 of a nat'l championship season. But carry on trying to drag UND fans into this and tell us how we would handle it, its giving me a good laugh.

I arrived in this thread with it already under discussion by other people. But yes please blame me for bringing it up.

edit: as far as i can tell it is mentioned or discussed nowhere on bville.

I arrived in this thread with it already under discussion by other people. But yes please blame me for bringing it up.

edit: as far as i can tell it is mentioned or discussed nowhere on bville.

See post 131 of this thread. Kolpack was back on the radio 2 days ago. 10 months later and its still a discussion. I'm not blaming you for bringing it up, I'm laughing at you trying to use "how you think" UND fans would handle a similar situation to how ndsu fans, media and coaches actually handled it.

You are delusional - When UND accomplishes something there are no chants about su, never at a UND game that does not involve su have I heard a chant about su, go count how many threads and posts there are on bisonswille about UND then come here and do the same and see what you come up with. There are many more su trolls here than there are UND posters at bisonswille, even back when UND and NDSU were playing in football there were some weekends when that wasn't even the biggest game in town for UND because they were hosting schools like Boston College in hockey, and of course you have Lakes Bison and we have nothing that comes close to that guy.
  • Upvote 4