SiouxSports.com Forum

GOD Bless the Fighting Sioux

Fetch

The Standing Rock Tribal Council has been strongly against the nickname for at least 20 years. Those are the people that count since they make the decisions. If the rest of the reservation had a real problem with that stance, they have had plenty of opportunities to make changes on the Tribal Council. Even though the Tribal Council has changed members over that 20 years, they have remained strongly against the nickname.

It is the same thing as if the US government took a position on the issue. It doesn't matter if the rest of the country had the opposing view, as long as the small group known as the United States Congress plus the President take a position, it is the official position of the country. What don't you get about that?

FYI (as noted in the article) like 3% of the populations actually vote. I used to audit reservations....they don't get up for things like this. Believe me, they could care less about what we do.

Only football has the FCS (formerly known as D IAA) designation. Every other sport at UND is now competing with the top schools for the same National titles. UND probably won't be competing for many of those National titles, but they are competing at the same level. UND would have to beat the best in that sport at the college level to win a National title. The rest of the sports are not at a D IAA level.

Yup, I know. I was talking football. I should have mentioned that.

Yup, I know. I was talking football. I should have mentioned that.

When all insclusive "sports" start only referring to football? Maybe you did know what you were talking about, but there are enough people that can't/don't differentiate that football is the only NCAA Division 1 sport with two classifications.

I agree with you completely, yesUND's sports are D-1 (with a huge set of AA's behind it) but only hockey is top notch. Don't get me wrong I love Sioux (UND) sports but come on...they have a AA for a reason. Might as well say D-2....because they won't compete with the big boys (on a consistent basis, for all of you going to bring up NDSU wins over the Gophs). Yes the absolute best AA teams may beat the absolute worst A teams every so often. Roll tide.

Since you agreed with me with your "Ya don't say" comment, I suggest you attempt to define "big time" and we'll go from there.

Let's define and measure this on two axis. One-notariety. ie past or current level of sucess, Two-longevity or consistency through time.

A good test would be the following, a preponderance of sports fans WHO DID NOT FOLLOW said sport would identify the team as generally a contender through time in that sport.

So of course this can be debated with no real solid definition in the conclusion. So when this debate concludes I will ask the question again;

"What other schools with a big time athletic program have been raped of their name through this racist NCAA policy?"

And if you really wanted to break down the costs we have incurred you need to further consider the nickname/school name ratio (I just made that up) and I will call it the relative nickname value. Where you can measure the use, notoriety, and recognition of the nickname over the same considerations toward the school name. This would tell one what the relative nickname value is for any program. I think every one would agree that the SIOUX NAME would be amongst the highest values one would see for any program in any sport. Not that any of you name killers would want run the honest numbers on anything of this sort.

Let's define and measure this on two axis. One-notariety. ie past or current level of sucess, Two-longevity or consistency through time.

A good test would be the following, a preponderance of sports fans WHO DID NOT FOLLOW said sport would identify the team as generally a contender through time in that sport.

So of course this can be debated with no real solid definition in the conclusion. So when this debated concludes I will ask the question again;

"What other schools with a big time athletic program have been raped of their name through this racist NCAA policy?"

And if you really wanted to break down the costs we have incurred you need to further consider the nickname/school name ratio (I just made that up) and I will call it the relative nickname value. Where you can measure the use, notoriety, and recognition of the nickname over the same considerations toward the school name. This would tell one what the relative nickname value is for any program. I think every one would agree that the SIOUX NAME would be amongst the highest values one would see for any program in any sport. Not that any of you name killers would want run the honest numbers on anything of this sort.

Well, since you started this "big time" debate, start developing the metrics into a coherent structure, and quit dancing around like Dave.

Well, since you started this "big time" debate, start developing the metrics into a coherent structure, and quit dancing around like Dave.

Geeez, so hostile and abusive you are.

How bout before you employ me to do a thesis on my newly developed Relative Nickname Value ratio, we first do a little deposition of you to see which schools you would say have big time programs that lost their nickname. Maybe we will agree and thus I would not need to pull out my handy-dandy nickname ratio.

I AM a North Dakotan. Who gives a rat's a$$ if I'm an alumnus of UND or not? And what's this nonsense about no university degree? What makes you so sure, and even it were true what difference would it make? :silly:

PS - So how's life down at the yacht club? :lol:

I bet your degree is from the University of Phoenix!

www.phoenix.edu :lol:

• Upvote 1

All jokes aside, yes I agree with your statement. They should be called D-1 because some may get confused (as with many of the NDSU fans who claim they have won a D-1 Nat'l championship, which I always reply "yes, but AA", big difference). I actually had two Bison friends of mine first claim that the Bison could win the Big-10 (and should be ranked inside the top-25 nationally) and 2nd should play the Tide (winner of each championship should play each other). Both very dumb statements.

May have been good enough to merit top 25 discussion by the end of the year similar to how if a MAC team was having a great year they will put them in the top 25. Nasty defense. Good enough offense. You never know I guess until you play them. Not win the Big 10. I would not have liked to watch what Alabama would have done to NDSU or most teams in FBS for that matter.

Carry on.

When all insclusive "sports" start only referring to football? Maybe you did know what you were talking about, but there are enough people that can't/don't differentiate that football is the only NCAA Division 1 sport with two classifications.

Oooohhhh got me. Well the only other sport is basketball then...which yes, they may make the big dance and be a punching bag to whatever 1 seed they play. I was truly thinking only football in my comment though...get a life.

May have been good enough to merit top 25 discussion by the end of the year similar to how if a MAC team was having a great year they will put them in the top 25. Nasty defense. Good enough offense. You never know I guess until you play them. Not win the Big 10. I would not have liked to watch what Alabama would have done to NDSU or most teams in FBS for that matter.

Carry on.

hahah....i just chocked on my food reading that....that was a good one.

• Upvote 1

Folks, Earl Strinden, yes, Earl Strinden, Ralph's long-time friend, and member of the REA board of directors, voted YES on Measure 4 to retire the moniker.

That bears stating again.

Earl Strinden advocated retirement of the moniker at the end.

And Earl and Ralph aren't all that different.

Geeez, so hostile and abusive you are.

How bout before you employ me to do a thesis on my newly developed Relative Nickname Value ratio, we first do a little deposition of you to see which schools you would say have big time programs that lost their nickname. Maybe we will agree and thus I would not need to pull out my handy-dandy nickname ratio.

Holly Crap! I have SILENCED the kill the name crowd?

I guess maybe the payroll funds have run out for a couple of the kill the name perpetrators.

Post election is a rough tome for the solders of fortune eh?

So are we the ONLY victim in the nation from the set of big time college team programs?

..say it aint so!!

• Upvote 1

Holly Crap! I have SILENCED the kill the name crowd?

I guess maybe the payroll funds have run out for a couple of the kill the name perpetrators.

Post election is a rough tome for the solders of fortune eh?

So are we the ONLY victim in the nation from the set of big time college team programs?

..say it aint so!!

You make up some stat and you think a bunch of people are going to waste time engaging you on the topic? I'll give you this much. UND isn't among the big time college team programs. UND would probably fit in a second level of college team programs. But it doesn't fit in with the BCS level schools which would be considered the big time college programs.

It was probably the biggest of the schools that lost their Native American nickname because of the NCAA policy. But bigger schools like Stanford and Oklahoma have given up Native American nicknames. And Illinois is the biggest school that had to make a change of SOMETHING because of the NCAA policy. Illinois had to quit using Native American imagery, the biggest being their mascot Chief Illiniwek. So UND isn't the biggest college sports program affected by the NCAA Native American policy.

• Upvote 3

don't want to get in to this debate, but a few of the D-I schools that have changed their names:

Arkansas State Indians

Dartmouth Indians

Marquette Warriors

Miami (Ohio) Redmen

Seattle Chieftans

St John's Redmen

Stanford Indian

Syracuse Orangemen

Local (off the cuff):

Dickinson State Savages

Morningside Maroon Chiefs

EDIT: As Hayduke says in the next post - these teams didn't seem to suffer.

UND will survive as North Dakota ...(insert nickname here)

don't want to get in to this debate, but a few of the D-I schools that have changed their names:

Arkansas State Indians

Dartmouth Indians

Marquette Warriors

Miami (Ohio) Redmen

Seattle Chieftans

St John's Redmen

Stanford Indian

Syracuse Orangemen

Local (off the cuff):

Dickinson State Savages

We'll be fine. They survived it, so will we. With the move to D-1 almost complete, we will be more than fine.

Arkansas State Indians

Dartmouth Indians

Marquette Warriors

Miami (Ohio) Redmen

Seattle Chieftans

St John's Redmen

Stanford Indian

Syracuse Orangemen

Local (off the cuff):

Dickinson State Savages

Throw in Illinois' little NC$$-inspired haircut regarding the Illini logo too.