SiouxSports.com Forum

GOD Bless the Fighting Sioux

Fetch

Ralph Engelstad stated that he was a successful businessman because of his experience at UND, because of the education he got at UND, because of the BUSINESS DEGREE he got at UND. He appreciated the hockey team because playing hockey is what gave him the chance to go to college. He wanted to support the hockey team AND THE REST OF THE UNIVERSITY. And he appreciated the entire Grand Forks area because that is where he had his first success in business. When he announced the building he said that he wanted to build the building to support the hockey program, the University and the entire Grand Forks region. The hockey team isn't going any where. They will continue to play at REA. Because that is what Ralph wanted. Only the very simple minded would really believe that UND shouldn't be playing at REA in the future.

The hockey team isn't going anywhere, thank god. At least when I walk around the place, other than looking at center ice, I'll still see thousands of Sioux symbols everywhere.

"Folded"? Really. Who else sued the NC$$? Sure the settlement sucks, and the retirement of the name and logo hurts those of us who grew up with it.

How many big time college athletic programs lost their name? As a successful business man I'm sure Ralph was a results based man. And I further doubt he would have particularly enjoyed having been duped by Myles Brand. Beyond that we can only speculate as to what Ralph would or would not have done.

Do you realize how stupid that statement is? Ralph would roll over in his grave if he thought UND could be that stupid. Spend $100 million for UND hockey and the athletic program, then close it down because the nickname and logo changed. He didn't get to be a billionaire by being stupid. He would have explained this to you and anyone else suggesting something this crazy but would have used more colorful language.

If there was a problem, the Engelstad family would have made it perfectly clear by now.

I have no doubt that Ralph would have seen that it was for the good of the University and it had to be done.

So what are you trying to say?

He was not a good man who avoided the union and local thugs. Being pragmatic he would have paid who he had to pay, he had no choice. Just like when he went on his knees to the Gaming Comm. to keep his license. Up until that point the largest fine ever handed out was to the Stardust for letting his Chicago friends skim the joint.

If there was a problem, the Engelstad family would have made it perfectly clear by now.

I have no doubt that Ralph would have seen that it was for the good of the University and it had to be done.

You forget that he purposely put thousands of symbols in the Ralph for a reason right? I would love to actually know what his reaction would be right now, and it makes me sick that we will never know. One thing we do know is that he'd never take a Sioux head down, ever. Maybe center ice, but that is all I could see.

How many big time college athletic programs lost their name? As a successful business man I'm sure Ralph was a results based man. And I further doubt he would have particularly enjoyed having been duped by Myles Brand. Beyond that we can only speculate as to what Ralph would or would not have done.

I hate to break it to you but, outside of men's hockey, UND isn't "big time".

You forget that he purposely put thousands of symbols in the Ralph for a reason right? I would love to actually know what his reaction would be right now, and it makes me sick that we will never know. One thing we do know is that he'd never take a Sioux head down, ever. Maybe center ice, but that is all I could see.

Oh yeah, that is why the family is morally outraged and is rambling on about how they will shut it down unless UND keeps that nickname at all costs and keeps every single Fighting Sioux logo in that arena.

Oh, wait.

THEY AREN'T!

There isn't a chance that it will happen either. Somehow, I believe that his family knows what he would have wished much more than you do.

Oh yeah, that is why the family is morally outraged and is rambling on about how they will shut it down unless UND keeps that nickname at all costs and keeps every single Fighting Sioux logo in that arena.

Oh, wait.

THEY AREN'T!

There isn't a chance that it will happen either. Somehow, I believe that his family knows what he would have wished much more than you do.

where have ya been? You think they are going to gut the place? haha. Anything that requires more than paint isn't getting touched. You can keep on playing there and keep the logos you know....

I hate to break it to you but, outside of men's hockey, UND isn't "big time".

here is a funny one; I was just making fun of this post to my wife and her response was, "um most schools are only big time in one sport." She then went on by citing Notre Dame, KU and Florida State. She doesnt even watch sports.. Classic.. Oh btw before you fire off examples to the contrary, she did exclaim that some schools were two sport schools.

here is a funny one; I was just making fun of this post to my wife and her response was, "um most schools are only big time in one sport." She then went on by citing Notre Dame, KU and Florida State. She doesnt even watch sports.. Classic.. Oh btw before you fire off examples to the contrary, she did exclaim that some schools were two sport schools.

Since you agreed with me with your "Ya don't say" comment, I suggest you attempt to define "big time" and we'll go from there.

His post went right over your head. You have one Div 1 sport, hockey. And no, I dont count football as Div 1 when its in a lower divison. BTW, Notre Dame has always had a solid basketball program going back to the seventies and FSU is actually quite good at basketball now as well.

I have been told that Ralph was working on the issue while he was still around. He realized that the NCAA was going to make a move at some point, probably after the first NCAA study was released in 1998. He went to Florida to explore the relationship between Florida State and the Seminoles because it was obvious that it was much better than UND and the Sioux. He brought those findings back to UND and gave them some recommendations. UND didn't follow through on all of those recommendations. No one knows if things would have changed if they had or not. Standing Rock has been very strong in their desire to get rid of the name for 20 years, but it might have made a difference at Spirit Lake, especially during the initial appeal process.

The person I talked to said that Ralph would have remained a strong Fighting Sioux supporter as long as possible. But this person was pretty sure that he would have supported a change at the point that it was going to hurt the athletic program. Ralph really believed that his education at UND was very important in his business success. The hockey program was the vehicle that got him to UND. And Grand Forks gave him his start on the way to a successful business career. He really wanted to support the hockey program, the University and the Grand Forks region with the building. So my contact was pretty sure that Ralph would have supported retiring the nickname before the sanctions went into effect. This person also said that it was impossible to know for sure what Ralph would have done.

You mean like less than ten people in the Standing Rock community oppose the name. Based on that article on the homepage.

His post went right over your head. You have one Div 1 sport, hockey. And no, I dont count football as Div 1 when its in a lower divison. BTW, Notre Dame has always had a solid basketball program going back to the seventies and FSU is actually quite good at basketball now as well.

Ummmm....pretty sure we are Division 1 in ALL sports. Wait let me check.......yep, every single one!! Not sure where you are getting your info!!

Well, time to eat crow, Siouxperduperman!

What is so "faux" about it. Those FCS Championship games actually did get played, and the winners actually did take home a trophy. You find me one person on this board that agrees with you on this and I will give you credit.

FCS is not really D-1. It is not at the highest level of competition.

Now, give me credit!

:lol:

• Upvote 1

Now, give me credit!

I agree with you completely, yes UND's sports are D-1 (with a huge set of AA's behind it) but only hockey is top notch. Don't get me wrong I love Sioux (UND) sports but come on...they have a AA for a reason. Might as well say D-2....because they won't compete with the big boys (on a consistent basis, for all of you going to bring up NDSU wins over the Gophs). Yes the absolute best AA teams may beat the absolute worst A teams every so often. Roll tide.

Now, give me credit!

Oh, eating crow. You found another person as misguided as you.

So are you saying that you don't believe FCS is Division 1 becuase it is not the highest level of competition? Or do you ACTUALLY BELIEVE that FCS is not in Division 1? Because you got another person to make a dumb statement like yours doesn't mean you are right.

I agree with you completely, yes UND's sports are D-1 (with a huge set of AA's behind it) but only hockey is top notch. Don't get me wrong I love Sioux (UND) sports but come on...they have a AA for a reason. Might as well say D-2....because they won't compete with the big boys (on a consistent basis, for all of you going to bring up NDSU wins over the Gophs). Yes the absolute best AA teams may beat the absolute worst A teams every so often. Roll tide.

You are correct. And, as all fans here, we do love UND dearly.

I would say however, only in football, which technically it is D-1, but it shouldn't be called that at all. It should not be called D-1 because they cannot win the ultimate championship, which the Tide won last year.

They can win at the other sports, but outside of hockey it is extremely unlikely they will and maybe ever will. That's okay though.

I prefer UND. No delusions of granduer (sp?) like those buffalo fans.

Oh, eating crow. You found another person as misguided as you.

So are you saying that you don't believe FCS is Division 1 becuase it is not the highest level of competition? Or do you ACTUALLY BELIEVE that FCS is not in Division 1? Because you got another person to make a dumb statement like yours doesn't mean you are right.

In other words, you are not a person of your word.

Got it!

Thanks!

:)

You mean like less than ten people in the Standing Rock community oppose the name. Based on that article on the homepage.

The Standing Rock Tribal Council has been strongly against the nickname for at least 20 years. Those are the people that count since they make the decisions. If the rest of the reservation had a real problem with that stance, they have had plenty of opportunities to make changes on the Tribal Council. Even though the Tribal Council has changed members over that 20 years, they have remained strongly against the nickname.

It is the same thing as if the US government took a position on the issue. It doesn't matter if the rest of the country had the opposing view, as long as the small group known as the United States Congress plus the President take a position, it is the official position of the country. What don't you get about that?

Only football has the FCS (formerly known as D IAA) designation. Every other sport at UND is now competing with the top schools for the same National titles. UND probably won't be competing for many of those National titles, but they are competing at the same level. UND would have to beat the best in that sport at the college level to win a National title. The rest of the sports are not at a D IAA level.

You are correct. And, as all fans here, we do love UND dearly.

I would say however, only in football, which technically it is D-1, but it shouldn't be called that at all. It should not be called D-1 because they cannot win the ultimate championship, which the Tide won last year.

They can win at the other sports, but outside of hockey it is extremely unlikely they will and maybe ever will. That's okay though.

I prefer UND. No delusions of granduer (sp?) like those buffalo fans.

All jokes aside, yes I agree with your statement. They should be called D-1 because some may get confused (as with many of the NDSU fans who claim they have won a D-1 Nat'l championship, which I always reply "yes, but AA", big difference). I actually had two Bison friends of mine first claim that the Bison could win the Big-10 (and should be ranked inside the top-25 nationally) and 2nd should play the Tide (winner of each championship should play each other). Both very dumb statements.