SiouxSports.com Forum

successful season formula

You'd think he'd like Colorado State University just twenty miles away. But, he's probably mad because that was one of the losses UNC had last year during their "perfect:" season, attended by literally tens of their fans.

CSU is about 10 miles from where I live. I live in the Loveland/FT Collins area. Aims is a nice school. I used to teach there. If you're ever in the mood to meet face to face and have a real conversation, you can find me mostly at Michener (since you seem to know a lot about it). As a grad student I'm there a lot.

CSU is about 10 miles from where I live. I live in the Loveland/FT Collins area. Aims is a nice school. I used to teach there. If you're ever in the mood to meet face to face and have a real conversation, you can find me mostly at Michener (since you seem to know a lot about it). As a grad student I'm there a lot.

Good for you going to grad school. Seriously.

Maybe I will. You do have to stay on this site. You do amuse us.

Good for you going to grad school. Seriously.

Maybe I will. You do have to stay on this site. You do amuse us.

I would rather meet for some coffee or a beer, my treat. Do you know where the Coffee Tree is in Loveland? I'm there often as well. I would honestly have more respect for you if you talk !@#$ about me face to face, not behind a keyboard.

I would rather meet for some coffee or a beer, my treat. Do you know where the Coffee Tree is in Loveland? I'm there often as well. I would honestly have more respect for you if you talk !@#$ about me face to face, not behind a keyboard.

I'm your Huckleberry....amusing at first, you're now just annoying. As a "grad student", I would have assumed you'd be a little more respectful when entering another school's forum. But, you have been nothing but a classless a$$h0le. If anyone's an internet "tough guy", it's you....and please stop trying to argue about facilities, you're just embarrassing yourself further.

I'm your Huckleberry....amusing at first, you're now just annoying. As a "grad student", I would have assumed you'd be a little more respectful when entering another school's forum. But, you have been nothing but a classless a$$h0le. If anyone's an internet "tough guy", it's you....and please stop trying to argue about facilities, you're just embarrassing yourself further.

BOOM!

I didn't come on here to smack. Go ahead and look at my first post. It's a reasonable post and some posters like Wanna-Be Coloradoan (UNDColorado) got pretty hurt by it. Not sure why.

I didn't come on here to smack. Go ahead and look at my first post. It's a reasonable post and some posters like Wanna-Be Coloradoan (UNDColorado) got pretty hurt by it. Not sure why.

The reason why everyone on here is so mad at you is because you bring up the stupid argument about how lame North Dakota is. A lot of people on here live in ND. We are all tired of hearing about how lame and pathetic ND is. We really don't care what others thing. I am proud to live here...and I like to live here.

It's great to have new fans of new rivals on this board. But lets talk sports. Not who's state is better. We all know that Colorado has better scenery, bigger cities, more people, whatever. But lets debate the Big Sky conference and the teams in it. Don't make enemies your first day on here.

• Upvote 4

Well this has been fairly entertaining, all this talk about what state is better, who's athletic facilities are better, and this whole thing about who lives where...I though we were all Americans and had the right to live anywhere in the nation? If I had to move to say Virginia, I would still be a Weber State fan, I dont know why you are making such a big deal about that BSB, but that whole argument is pretty pathetic.

Anyway, this Wildcat fan is very happy with all of the additions to this conference, who cares how far away they are, UNC's closest Big Sky Rival is almost 500 miles away, and that is Weber, its not like they are that much closer to anybody else than North Dakota is.

Anyway back to the topic at hand, to be successful in this conference you need to be able to do 2 things;

1. Win on the road (obviously, and especially in basketball)

2. Have a good passing Defense, the Big Sky is a pass happy league, only a few teams are run attack oriented (Cal Poly, Weber State, Portland State) everyone else seems to rely more on thier passing games, if you can force teams to run on you when it's not thier strength, you can be very good in this conference.

Well this has been fairly entertaining, all this talk about what state is better, who's athletic facilities are better, and this whole thing about who lives where...I though we were all Americans and had the right to live anywhere in the nation? If I had to move to say Virginia, I would still be a Weber State fan, I dont know why you are making such a big deal about that BSB, but that whole argument is pretty pathetic.

Anyway, this Wildcat fan is very happy with all of the additions to this conference, who cares how far away they are, UNC's closest Big Sky Rival is almost 500 miles away, and that is Weber, its not like they are that much closer to anybody else than North Dakota is.

Anyway back to the topic at hand, to be successful in this conference you need to be able to do 2 things;

2. Have a good passing Defense, the Big Sky is a pass happy league, only a few teams are run attack oriented (Cal Poly, Weber State, Portland State) everyone else seems to rely more on thier passing games, if you can force teams to run on you when it's not thier strength, you can be very good in this conference.

UND has better have figured that one out. We won what 2 games on the road last year...very pathetic.

I would say that the biggest concern for this upcoming season is deffinitely our defense, more specifically stopping the pass. We all know that our defense as always been very good at stopping the run. But we many times play a team that comes in here with a good quarterback and a couple big tall recievers and we get destroyed thru the air. So our secondary will deffinitely have to step it up big time!! I hope that Muss has anticipated this and recruited the right guys to help our pass defense.

That being said, we will also need to adjust and be a more pass happy team. I think we deffinitely have the recievers that con compete in the Big Sky. Hanson should be very good next year if he performs as well as he did next season as he did in spring ball this year. So to be successful, we need to fbe better on the passing game both on offense and defense.

I would say that the biggest concern for this upcoming season is deffinitely our defense, more specifically stopping the pass. We all know that our defense as always been very good at stopping the run. But we many times play a team that comes in here with a good quarterback and a couple big tall recievers and we get destroyed thru the air. So our secondary will deffinitely have to step it up big time!! I hope that Muss has anticipated this and recruited the right guys to help our pass defense.

That being said, we will also need to adjust and be a more pass happy team. I think we deffinitely have the recievers that con compete in the Big Sky. Hanson should be very good next year if he performs as well as he did next season as he did in spring ball this year. So to be successful, we need to fbe better on the passing game both on offense and defense.

If we can do that we should have a great season. DB's were hard to watch last year.

Regardless of QB we should be in good shape there. Bradley really surprised me in the spring game (in a good way).

I thought this thread was supposed to be about which states are better. What is up with all this football talk?
  • Upvote 1

Is number 2 really the truth? I think historically the 'Sky has been very pass happy but I think in recent years it's been the opposite. I don't have the stats but I could totally be wrong. I know UNC was about 60/40 in terms of passing over running the ball. We're changing offenses (again) so I think we will be more balanced. I think PSU is known for running the ball very well, same thing with Montana. PSU is a hell of a running team. They're going to be very good, very quick. I think they'll compete for the conference very soon. Burton has brought in some very good, young talent.

Is number 2 really the truth? I think historically the 'Sky has been very pass happy but I think in recent years it's been the opposite. I don't have the stats but I could totally be wrong. I know UNC was about 60/40 in terms of passing over running the ball. We're changing offenses (again) so I think we will be more balanced. I think PSU is known for running the ball very well, same thing with Montana. PSU is a hell of a running team. They're going to be very good, very quick. I think they'll compete for the conference very soon. Burton has brought in some very good, young talent.

The key for any team to be successfull is a good balance between the run and the pass. True you can succeed if you are heavy on one, but look what happened to Georgia Southern in the semifinal game against NDSU. They had tons of success with the "triple option" running the ball all over teams. But when a defense stops the run, you need to have a passing game as well. GS had what, 1 passsing play in their playbook? Gotta have balance.

The key for any team to be successfull is a good balance between the run and the pass. True you can succeed if you are heavy on one, but look what happened to Georgia Southern in the semifinal game against NDSU. They had tons of success with the "triple option" running the ball all over teams. But when a defense stops the run, you need to have a passing game as well. GS had what, 1 passsing play in their playbook? Gotta have balance.

Teams are going to have to pass on us because our front 7 is going to destroy the run like always. The only way to score on us is through the pass because we'll block every field goal as well. We need safeties to be playmakers and someone to step up along side Daryl Brown and we should be a very very good team. Also if Dom Bennett is healthy all year he will put up huge numbers.

That GS game was the extreme, but you're right you have to be able to pass at least enough to keep the defense honest. NDSU couldn't have asked for a better opponent, they got ahead and with their run defense it was over.

The Big Sky does throw the ball as much as any FCS conference, even if the run is working, and that will be the test for UND. The secondary will have to be quite a bit better than last year to keep them in games.

And to the UNC fan, not talking smack or anything, but you guys were playing from behind quite a bit last year and that always skews your passing % higher than you'd like it.

Teams are going to have to pass on us because our front 7 is going to destroy the run like always. The only way to score on us is through the pass because we'll block every field goal as well. We need safeties to be playmakers and someone to step up along side Daryl Brown and we should be a very very good team. Also if Dom Bennett is healthy all year he will put up huge numbers.

blocking every field goal eh? seems likely. statements like that take away credibility from the rest of the statement, no matter how true it may be.

blocking every field goal eh? seems likely. statements like that take away credibility from the rest of the statement, no matter how true it may be.

God forbid someone (Mr.Burgundy) exaggerate, although we did lead the nation in blocked FGs. The video is ridiculous with opposing blockers on their backs and the entire kick block team bearing down on the poor kicker.

God forbid someone (Mr.Burgundy) exaggerate, although we did lead the nation in blocked FGs. The video is ridiculous with opposing blockers on their backs and the entire kick block team bearing down on the poor kicker.

Thats great for UND that they lead the nation in blocked FG's. Does that necessarily mean that they are going to do the same this upcoming season? Keep in mind, UND played USF, some Montana school, Drake, and another small school or two. Several games against significantly lesser competition.

To assume blocked field goals are going to happen is a terrible, terrible way of planning. Blocked FG's are a bonus. When going into a game, you do not say, "well, if the other team goes for a field goal, we will block it." No, a blocked field goal is a best case scenario. Not something to count on.

Teams like Virginia Tech like to brag about their special teams, and even they don't count on blocked field goals. If you think that blocked field goals are going to be something to count on, then more than likely, you are going to be sadly mistaken. Other teams pick up on stuff like that. Similar to how I do not expect Marcus Williams to pick off as many passes as he did last year, because teams figure out strengths, and will counter it. It does not take a genius to figure that out. Maybe UND will lead the nation in blocks, they could also very easily have 0 by the end of the year. NDSU blocked a few punts and field goals I believe in 2010. I think we maybe got a punt this year, and that I'm not even sure of.

Like I said, counting on your field goal blocking team to win games is just asking to get beat. If that is the Ace up UND's sleeve, I feel really bad for UND football this year. Now solid defense, and adequate offense can be counted on, special teams blocks can't. Feel free to count on blocked punts. If that is what you are counting on to win you games you are going to have a fun time watching UND have a very mediocre year.

Thats great for UND that they lead the nation in blocked FG's. Does that necessarily mean that they are going to do the same this upcoming season? Keep in mind, UND played USF, some Montana school, Drake, and another small school or two. Several games against significantly lesser competition.

To assume blocked field goals are going to happen is a terrible, terrible way of planning. Blocked FG's are a bonus. When going into a game, you do not say, "well, if the other team goes for a field goal, we will block it." No, a blocked field goal is a best case scenario. Not something to count on.

Teams like Virginia Tech like to brag about their special teams, and even they don't count on blocked field goals. If you think that blocked field goals are going to be something to count on, then more than likely, you are going to be sadly mistaken. Other teams pick up on stuff like that. Similar to how I do not expect Marcus Williams to pick off as many passes as he did last year, because teams figure out strengths, and will counter it. It does not take a genius to figure that out. Maybe UND will lead the nation in blocks, they could also very easily have 0 by the end of the year. NDSU blocked a few punts and field goals I believe in 2010. I think we maybe got a punt this year, and that I'm not even sure of.

Like I said, counting on your field goal blocking team to win games is just asking to get beat. If that is the Ace up UND's sleeve, I feel really bad for UND football this year. Now solid defense, and adequate offense can be counted on, special teams blocks can't. Feel free to count on blocked punts. If that is what you are counting on to win you games you are going to have a fun time watching UND have a very mediocre year.

I think you got sucked in on that one 7.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for setting us all straight....................

as we say in the cities you just got Common'd