SiouxSports.com Forum

successful season formula

A conference record including the Portland State game of better than 500 will be a good season considering we have never experienced the grind of playing Big Sky opponents every week. I would also like to see us beat Montana more than any other team...the griz are the conference champs and we have more of a history with them than anyone else.

I want to beat Sac St. more than any other team. Their fanbase is far more irritating to me than even the Griz.

I agree, I want our guys to walk in there and dominate, just wipe the floor with them, and then quietly on to the next one. Their fans and media have been classless.

A conference record including the Portland State game of better than 500 will be a good season considering we have never experienced the grind of playing Big Sky opponents every week. I would also like to see us beat Montana more than any other team...the griz are the conference champs and we have more of a history with them than anyone else.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Montana after all the problems this off season. Montana could be a very winnable game for you guys this year. I think a win against the Bobcats would be more impressive.

So, fill me in on the details concerning Sac St fans and media. Could be the start of a rivalry and I wanna know all about it.

They had a writer who came up with a bunch of crappy reasons why UND should be kicked out of the BSC.

http://sacstatesports.com/2011/12/17/big-sky-should-admit-north-dakota-mistake-let-fighting-sioux-go/

Aside from this Sacramento writer's concern with UND's nickname, his other reason for dismissing UND's entrance into the Big Sky apparently is the distance traveled between contests. Let me get this straight - UND is the one that has to travel long distances for nearly every away game, while the other members only have to travel to UND occasionally . And as far as Sac State being the furthest away (see article's quote below), the last time I checked both Cal Davis and Cal Poly were further from UND. Regardless, I can assure you that us Viking fans welcome you aboard and look forward to an occasional trip to the Dakota (preferably in September, not December!) and hope you enjoy your visits to the Rose City.

"That’s 920 miles from Northern Colorado, the previous eastern-most member, and 821 miles from Bozeman, Mont. Oh, that’s 1,783 miles from Sacramento State, the furthest member from UND."

• Upvote 2

They had a writer who came up with a bunch of crappy reasons why UND should be kicked out of the BSC.

http://sacstatesport...hting-sioux-go/

Don't take this as smack, because it isn't. However, I agree with most of what that article says. UND just doesn't belong geographically. It helped a little when USD was in the conference (what for about 2 days?). The college presidents will look for a way to kick you guys out asap, especially if we can't get a 14th member. You guys belong with the other Dakota and midwest schools, the MVFC. That's a heck of a conference and some consider it a better conference than the Big SKy.

Don't take this as smack, because it isn't. However, I agree with most of what that article says. UND just doesn't belong geographically. It helped a little when USD was in the conference (what for about 2 days?). The college presidents will look for a way to kick you guys out asap, especially if we can't get a 14th member. You guys belong with the other Dakota and midwest schools, the MVFC. That's a heck of a conference and some consider it a better conference than the Big SKy.

Not gonna happen. When UND accepted the invitation and USD backed out, there was a time frame for UND to pull out and not face any penalty. UND wanted in.

With the nickname debacle there has been talk that the Big Sky may block UND. That obstacle is gone.

IMO the only way UND leaves the Big Sky is if there is a shift in the NCAA divisions and UND wants to elevate to a higher division and the BIg Sky doesn't. But I think Fullerton wants the whole Big Sky to move that level.

• Upvote 1

THIS, coming from a Northern Colorado fan? The Big Sky wants us because of our educational profile as a leading public research university, among other reasons. Montana seems to be pretty happy to have another peer institution in the conference.

Because of that article I hope that we walk into Sac and beat the tar out of them. We are capable of that this year. Also cant wait until we play you guys again. This year there might be more UND fans than UNC fans!

http://sacstatesport...hting-sioux-go/

The biggest reason this guy says the Big Sky should kick UND out is because of the nickname. Well, that issue has been resolved. So you can throw out about 90% of this article. The leftover from this article talks about traveling to North Dakota. An extra 2 hours on a flight is a reason to kick them out? Seems like a pretty week argument.

• Upvote 1

I would say that beating Montana at home would be huge for this program. Montana is the face of the Big Sky in regards to football. Sure they have had issues as of late, but beating an 18 time conference champ and 2 time Nat'l Champ would be the signature win of the year. Beating Montana State on the road would be a very close second.

As far as a succesfull season, I think finishing in the top half of the Sky with at least a winning record would be a successfull season.

UNC belongs in the RMAC.............

Boy, you said it! UNC is a textbook case of a school that should have stayed Division II. You have to give this guy props for posting on this board though, it is the first UNC fan I have ever seen here on a message board. I have my doubts though, sounds a bit like a NDSU fan trying to get under our skin.

Boy, you said it! UNC is a textbook case of a school that should have stayed Division II. You have to give this guy props for posting on this board though, it is the first UNC fan I have ever seen here on a message board. I have my doubts though, sounds a bit like a NDSU fan trying to get under our skin.

Nice try. We've won several conference championships since moving up. Including men's basketball which meant a trip to the Big Dance. We've also got two conference championships in volleyball .

Nice try. We've won several conference championships since moving up. Including men's basketball which meant a trip to the Big Dance. We've also got two conference championships in volleyball .

Yes, I agree with BSB. Everyone needs to realize that there is more than just football that needs to be looked at in the context of "a textbook case of a school that should have stayed Division II". UNC has been very successful in other sports - just because the football team is currently down (and admittedly it has been for a little bit) doesn't mean the move up from an overall perspective has been a complete disaster.

I think he was referring mostly to the football team. 9 years in Division 1 and UNC is 24-76. That incluses 3 one win seasons and a winless season just last year. I agree that NC has had success in other sports. But you have to admid that after winning 2 consecutive Championships in D2 in the late 90's, UNC football has fallen off the map.

Two wins would be greatly satisfying to me. First would be a home win over Montana to prove, in just our first season, that we belong in the Big Sky as a football program. Second, a win over San Diego State to finally get the no-FBS-wins monkey off our back. That's a big thing that my Bison fan friends like to bring up and I think this SDSU team will be better than either of the Minnesota teams the Bison beat and definitely the Kansas team.

• Upvote 1

THIS, coming from a Northern Colorado fan? The Big Sky wants us because of our educationalOther Eagles Sports

All other Eagles Sports Topics 6 Topics35 Posts

Last post by Spoeagle

Fri May 04, 2012 10:55 am profile as a leadingOther Eagles Sports

All other Eagles Sports Topics 6 Topics35 Posts

Last post by Spoeagle

Fri May 04, 2012 10:55 am public research university, among other reasons. Montana seems to be pretty happy to have another peer institution in the conference.

Because of that article I hope that we walk into Sac and beat the tar out of them. We are capable of that this year. Also cant wait until we play you guys again. This year there might be more UND fans than UNC fans!

This coming from a wanna-be Coloradoan. Go back to the flat frozen tundra where you came from. And yes, I will have no problem telling you that to your face when you come to Greeley this fall. I'll be the one with a Colorado - pioneer license plate. I'm sure you've seen those around.

I wasn't talking smack and you are dumb enough to interpret it that way. Why wouldn't you want to be in a conference with more regional rivals? You don't get that in the Big Sky. The MVFC is a pretty good conference.

This coming from a wanna-be Coloradoan. Go back to the flat frozen tundra where you came from. And yes, I will have no problem telling you that to your face when you come to Greeley this fall. I'll be the one with a Colorado - pioneer license plate. I'm sure you've seen those around.

I wasn't talking smack and you are dumb enough to interpret it that way. Why wouldn't you want to be in a conference with more regional rivals? You don't get that in the Big Sky. The MVFC is a pretty good conference.

Here we go. A UNC fan can't talk about how much better their football team is than North Dakota (0-11 - 8-3, and we beat you last year) so you have to bring out the "our state is better than yours because we have better scenery" argument. Pretty lame!! We understand that you don't want us in the Big Sky because we will be beating you year in and year out..espedially in football :D

I did just come back from a vacation/wedding in Colorado, one of my favorite places (obviously not talking about Greeley). And now I'm back in that flat frozen oil rich no deficit havin good for nothin filthy stinkin rich no class havin gazillion dollar surplus runnin God forsaken state of North Dakota.

• Upvote 2

Congrats on your parents and grandparents living in Colorado. Smart move by them. I'm hoping my eventual kids and grandkids will continue to live here too. However, we're talking about Greeley. On the front range Greeley and Pueblo are the butt of jokes for a reason and it has nothing to do with your crappy football team.