SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Conference Countdown

bincitysioux

I was listening to an interview with the Big Sky Commissioner the other day and he talked about how he looked at athletic programs and how many programs are being built on student fees, guarantee games and institutional support (sfgis) which is not sustainable in the long run. I thought that I would look at the Big Sky schools to see what the conference looked like in that context, plus I just wanted to learn a bit more about the Big Sky and what UND was getting itself into… As I looked at the data, I came up with the following chart – thought it would be useful to share with other just learning about the Big Sky. General description of the chart:

1. X axis - % of athletic programs budget from sfgis
  2. Y axis - % of athletic budget attributed to football program
  3. Bubble Size – revenue from ticket sales – I choose this as an indicator of the following a program may have.

General Quadrant descriptions:

Top RHS – Football School with a healthy budget

Top LHS – Football School dependant on sfgis

Lower RHS – non Football dependant with a healthy budget

Lower LHS – non Football dependant on sfgis

NOTE:I added Idaho and New Mexico St just to see how they would fit in..Montana is impressive I can see why the WAC is talking to them..

Mods sorry if the image is too much.. I can delete it you like

Cool data. Do you know what year those numbers are from. Just wondering if they were during UND's transition. I would think UND's money from ticket sales would be going up (possibly way up) starting this year.

Cool data. Do you know what year those numbers are from. Just wondering if they were during UND's transition. I would think UND's money from ticket sales would be going up (possibly way up) starting this year.

The data is from 2010 so it is in the middle of the transition. I would think that you would see a nice increase as part of joining the Big Sky. As I looked at the data I was amazed at how little ticket revenue many programs had.. I am really excited about the Big Sky and today it is in a great position:

1) 4 - programs will be playing in a auto-bid football conference for the first time (Poly, UCD, SUU and UND). I expect all four of the schools to make major jumps.

2) While looking at the data - I noticed that all large ticket revenue schools not only had successful programs but a major rival. If you look at the schools added to the Big Sky it gave existing Big Sky schools potential rivals going forward - Sac/UCD/Poly, SUU/NAU/Weber St.

3) Big Sky is now the number three football conference in the Western US

4) Portland has a new stadium and EWU won a NC. I expect to see those schools making improvements.

In general I am bullish on the future of the Big Sky - I can not wait... still waiting for my season tickets.

what is so big about finally being in the big sky? Nothing really goes on tomorrow. I relize we have been waiting for a few years, but tomorrow when we arwe in the big sky nothing will be different, we will still be waiting for fall practice and the first game.

what is so big about finally being in the big sky? Nothing really goes on tomorrow. I relize we have been waiting for a few years, but tomorrow when we arwe in the big sky nothing will be different, we will still be waiting for fall practice and the first game.

Its more than just members of an AQ conference...we are officially DI members in all sports!!

• Upvote 2

sorry fightingsioux4life, but I grow up going to all the football and basketball games. Never did I have much of a chance to attend hockey games. In all reality I love watching the sioux football games best. Those who came to the unc game last year would know. I was the one screaming my head off at the game.

I love your commitment to UND Football but you just confuse me because some posts you are all about it, such as the post above, then others you are off on another planet.

I have to say that I was there and was cheering pretty loud as well; among others. (Beer helped because we were getting torched in the air in the 3rd quarter). For still being in the transition I thought it was a pretty good crowd and I think it will be even better this year, especially if we are having a good season because that is the last regular season game. Heck, out of the 3,000 people at the game I bet UND had at least 500 fans there!

It is just a good feeling to know that in a little less than 4 hours, the long, boring, painful move to DI will be officially over. We will no longer be technically homeless or wandering the desert. It is a very gratifying feeling for some of us, especially given the potential uncertainty of finding any conference home, much less a place in the most prestigious one of FCS, given what has transpired around UND the last several years.

• Upvote 4

Off subject, I plan on attending one away game this season, either Montana St. or Northern Colorado. More than likely it will be Greely due to work demands. I can't wait. The other away games I've been to for any North Dakota sports are Fargo, Minneapolis, St. Cloud, and Vermillion, and Davis, CA. I'm looking forward to exploring the west in the years to come.......................

• Upvote 1

Off subject, I plan on attending one away game this season, either Montana St. or Northern Colorado. More than likely it will be Greely due to work demands. I can't wait. The other away games I've been to for any North Dakota sports are Fargo, Minneapolis, St. Cloud, and Vermillion, and Davis, CA. I'm looking forward to exploring the west in the years to come.......................

Honestly every UND fan should try to get to Missoula for a game at Wa-Griz Stadium, there isn't any better atmosphere in FCS football than the whole gameday experience there. Tough place to play, but worth the trip regardless of how it goes.

Honestly every UND fan should try to get to Missoula for a game at Wa-Griz Stadium, there isn't any better atmosphere in FCS football than the whole gameday experience there. Tough place to play, but worth the trip regardless of how it goes.

I was there in 2010, and I must say that they surely know how to treat their guests. Friday afternoon, after buying our first pitcher of beer, we didn't pay for another drink the rest of the night. Saturday, almost everyone we walked by stopped us to offer us food and drink, and to talk a little football. It was an amazing experience.

I'm hoping to start getting to some other out of town games in the future. Davis, Poly, Montana State are a few that are on top of my list.

I plan to fit Missoula into the travel itinerary at some point. I'm a farmer so I am pretty busy during most of the football season. That's why most of our road trips fall within the last 3 games of the season. I am hoping it will be Bozeman this year (sorry jodcon ;) ) but Greeley looks more doable.

Next season we are planning on Northern Arizona, 2013 is back to UNC (which is why I want Bozeman badly this year), and 2015 is gonna be sunny San Luis Obispo for sure....................

I was there in 2010, and I must say that they surely know how to treat their guests. Friday afternoon, after buying our first pitcher of beer, we didn't pay for another drink the rest of the night. Saturday, almost everyone we walked by stopped us to offer us food and drink, and to talk a little football. It was an amazing experience.

I'm hoping to start getting to some other out of town games in the future. Davis, Poly, Montana State are a few that are on top of my list.

I had a great experience at UC Davis in 2009. Very nice campus and I thought it was beautiful stadium. All their fans were super nice. The game itself wasn't all that well attended, but the Davis student section was awesome (given what I'm used to over the past 3-4 years ??? ) . They have a great Band-Uh!................that's what they refer to their band as if I recall correctly. We flew with the team and stayed in Old Sacramento. We did not have enough time exploring that area. Hope to do it again in the future.

Eastern time zone fans will be Big Sky fans in 36 minutes.........................................

I suppose Bozeman would be the furthest east as far as BSC members, so I'm counting about 2 hours as the official time. :lol: