SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Conference Countdown

bincitysioux

I plan to fit Missoula into the travel itinerary at some point. I'm a farmer so I am pretty busy during most of the football season. That's why most of our road trips fall within the last 3 games of the season. I am hoping it will be Bozeman this year (sorry jodcon ;) ) but Greeley looks more doable.

Next season we are planning on Northern Arizona, 2013 is back to UNC (which is why I want Bozeman badly this year), and 2015 is gonna be sunny San Luis Obispo for sure....................

Ack!

Actually that will be a good time, they do a good job on gameday too. I have many, many friends who are Cat fans and we go back and forth, mostly in jest, but as with any fan base there are about a dozen crackhead Cat fans who don't seem to understand that they are only good once every blue moon.

..............as with any fan base there are about a dozen crackhead Cat fans....................

A dozen is all? Try spending some extended time in Eastern North Dakota........................... ;)

Seriously, remind me jodcon of your ties to UND. I beleive you live way out west and have children that have attended Montana. I've enjoyed reading your posts especially regarding the Big Sky and where you think North Dakota will fit in..............................

A dozen is all? Try spending some extended time in Eastern North Dakota........................... ;)

Seriously, remind me jodcon of your ties to UND. I beleive you live way out west and have children that have attended Montana. I've enjoyed reading your posts especially regarding the Big Sky and where you think North Dakota will fit in..............................

I grew up in central ND and was a Sioux hockey and to a lesser extent football addict growing up, my older brother and his two boys attended UND but I ended up moving to Montana at 17 so I never attended. And you're correct I actually have a daughter who is going to be a junior attending UM right now.

I have always followed the hockey team since moving out here but only started following the football team again about 5 or 6 years ago when I happened to be in GF on a couple FB/hockey weekends (unfortunately Sioux Falls was one of the games), so when the offer came from the BSC for me it was the greatest thing in the world because I'm heavily invested (literally) in UM and my boyhood heroes were from UND so it's going to be the best of both worlds.

......................I happened to be in GF on a couple FB/hockey weekends (unfortunately Sioux Falls was one of the games), .....................

Ya, sorry about that one........................... :crazy:

I'll look forward to having either a beer or a Coke with you in either Missoula or Grand Forks one day............................

• Upvote 1

Ya, sorry about that one........................... :crazy:

I remember that well...we were driving to the Alerus and I asked my nephew "who are they playing?" and he goes "Sioux Falls, they're an NAIA team, Sioux should kill 'em".

Yeah

Big Sky Welcomes New Members

After more than a year of anticipation, the Big Sky Conference officially grew Sunday as Southern Utah University and the University of North Dakota became full members of the league, while Cal Poly and UC Davis joined as affiliate-football members.

The additions bring the stable Big Sky Conference to 11 full institutions and 13 football members. It’s been six years since the Big Sky last admitted a member. The University of Northern Colorado joined the Big Sky on July 1, 2006.

rp_primary_expansion7-1-12.jpg
  • Upvote 1

College athletics: UND is now Big Sky high | Grand Forks Herald | Grand Forks, North Dakota

When employees of the UND athletic department go to work Monday, the school will be an official member of the Big Sky Conference.

But it’s still going to be business as usual in and around Hyslop Sports Center, the home of the university’s athletic department.

That’s thanks to Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton and the access he’s granted UND over the course of the past year to get up to speed with the operations of the league.

Had we seen this yet on conference tourneys?

As a result of expansion, the league has also announced that many of its championships will expand participation. Men’s and women’s basketball will each feature seven-team championships, while volleyball and tennis will move from four to six-team tournaments. Golf, indoor and outdoor track and field, and cross country will continue to send all teams to the championship. Soccer will remain a four-team tournament.

That's the best link I've seen in quite a while.

Seeing that on the BSC's website feels good in some ways, is terrifying in other ways, and is relaxing in some ways.

Looking around the site I was hoping our pic would be at the top banner but I'm sure that will happen once they get new website. They did, however, add us into the member institutions.

University of North Dakota

Established in 1883, The University of North Dakota, located in Grand Forks, is the oldest university in the state with more than 14,000 students. UND offers a wide variety of professional and specialized programs, including a law and medical school. It is also known for its school of aerospace science, and is classified by the Carnegie Foundation as a doctoral/research-intensive institution. UND is the alma mater of 11-time NBA champion coach Phil Jackson.

Big Sky Institutions

Some links for following the BSC. Be sure to add them on facebook and twitter.

www.bigskyconf.com

http://www.facebook.com/bigskyconf

https://twitter.com/BigSkyConf

And be sure that you are following UND on facebook and twitter as well.

http://www.facebook.com/myUND

http://www.facebook.com/UNDSports

https://twitter.com/myUND

https://twitter.com/UNDsports

Doesd anyone know if UND is having a formal press conference to announce our joining the Big Sky?

They had one to announce joining the Big Sky when it was originally announced. I haven't heard about a press conference to announce that UND has become an active member of the conference. It isn't necessarily big news when everyone has known it has been coming for 1 1/2 years. I might expect something about the time that UND is ready for the first conference competition.