SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013

gfhockey

The NDSU game is 1 week away

They are 3-3, their best win is against Harvard, however the last two games haven't been pretty as they got blown out against UAA (A D-II school, Alaska-Anchorage) and barely beat a winless Prairie View A&M team in which they needed to storm back from 17 down to win. They also beat Mayville State for their other win.

There is more than one reason why we don't have D1 talent after "5 freakin years" For 1 we were in the great west conference, for most D1 talent it is not there dream to play D1 basketball in the great west conference. 2 there is no post season play when we are in transition how many D1 talent kids want to come play when there is no chance of post season play? 3 the nickname, until June this issue was still not resolved, with sanctions against the school that is another obstacle that made recruiting difficult. I don't think Brewster bit off more than he can chew, I think he just needs time to be able to get the talent he needs to have a successful program again. He learned from one of the best and he was the recruiting coordinator when Langen and Kimbrough were brought in. Give him a break and let him work with what he has

While I believe it's far too early to judge Brewster as a head coach, I also don't believe it's accurate to simply chalk up the current struggles to being an inevitable byproduct of the division I transition. SDSU and Florida Gulf Coast both managed to come out of the transition very nicely, and neither entered their transition with UND's pedigree as a longtime (20-plus years) dII superpower. Coming out of the transition with a good team can be done. UND just didn't do it as successfully as some other programs for whatever reason.

Renewed rivalries. 2 years ago we UND played NDSU in men's basketball in Fargo and there was no television. 2 years ago UND played NDSU in Volleyball in Fargo and no television. This year UND plays NDSU in women's basketball in Fargo and no television. Last year UND played NDSU in men's basketball and volleyball in Grand Forks and both games were televised. Why is this?

Renewed rivalries. 2 years ago we UND played NDSU in men's basketball in Fargo and there was no television. 2 years ago UND played NDSU in Volleyball in Fargo and no television. This year UND plays NDSU in women's basketball in Fargo and no television. Last year UND played NDSU in men's basketball and volleyball in Grand Forks and both games were televised. Why is this?

Because UND has a TV contract, so the ones played in Grand Forks were televised. The Sioux-Bison men's game next week is televised from Fargo, though it wasn't part of the UND package released at the beginning of the year. MidCo must have realized it would be a good programming decision. I wonder who the announcers will be?

Evers used her big body well inside and the payoff showed. Buck is emerging as a breakout player and the leader that she needs to be. However, she has to get a little better at shot-clock awareness... I think she decided to pass instead of shoot twice, if not, three times, yesterday against Air Force, resulting in a violation. Oh, and don't forget about Smart. She is nearly "money" evertime she puts up a 3.

Wall is coming along but still not quite back to 100 percent after her injury.

Brianna and Cy'erra are getting a lot better on and off the ball. I was especially impressed with Cy'erra's speed and defensive skills last night. Her quick feet and hands resulted in many TOs and near TOs

I like Lauk's improved confidence on the floor, too. Same goes for Burck.

We need to get Houdek back in the line up. Hopefully, whatever is nagging her is not too serious.

Rothfuz still looks a little scattered out there and takes ill advised shots from long range. I like her tenacity inside, though.

Josie Dillon is a work in progress but showed hints of an upside last night. Still looks a little nervous, but that is to be expected. Poor girl, after she completely botched one play that resulted in a turn over, it was dead silence in the Betty, except for Brew yelling at her at the top of his lungs, "Josie, what are you DOING???!!!" She looked like she wanted to crawl into a hole at that point.

Women got another win last night against Air Force 76-42. Nice job ladies.

They looked real good last night, but man is Air Force horrible. Evers was dominant, they just didn't have anybody that could match up with her size. Nice to see them perform so well against a team they should do well against. Be nice to build some momentum heading into conference play. A ho-hum Drake team is up next. Should have a good chance to come out with another win at home this Saturday if they play well again.

Saw a lot of good things last night at the game last night. I think you can tell that Wall is frustrated a little bit that she is not herself, that will come in time. Evers was a beast last night and Air Force had NO answer for her. Also want to give Smart a few props as well in how she shot the ball. Other than the 1 3 that was blocked, her shots looked great. Even the ones she missed could have gone down.

They did cut down their turnovers, but I think 17 is still a little too high. Also were a lot of close calls with some TO's as well.

We will have very good chances in winning our next 3 games if we keep this up. Would be nice to be sitting 5-4 and 1-0 in the Sky before our big tilt at UNC

Evers is showing a huge improvement over last year. She's going to end up being a really good one before her time is up at UND. It's nice to see her step up with Wall out or limited. I'm very excited to see what those two can do when they're on the floor together and healthy. I can't imagine there are many teams on our schedule who'll be able to match their size. NDSU and Air Force both looked completely overmatched down low and that's with Alyssa playing limited minutes.

I was stuck at work and didn't get a chance to watch any of the game today. Did the ladies play well? Was Drake a decent opponent so this was a good win?

Wayne Nelson's Herald reports suggests that they didn't shoot that well and they went 9 for 19 from the line. They had to overcome a 15-0 Drake run in the second half to put themselves in position to extend it to OT. Still Drake was going for the their fifth straight victory against UND and it was nice to see the ladies put a stop to that.

Went to the game, so I'll try and fill the gaps

-Looking at the stats, surprised that we were even on the boards because I thought Drake did a way better job than us on that part.

-Evers had another nice game, but offense really doubled her up in the 2nd half and that is how they got a ton of turnovers. Think it would help to expand her game if she can develop a consistent 8-10 foot jumper.

-Smart was quiet until the end, but was huge when we needed her. That 3 pointer was a no doubter and she even knew it with a bit of a skip

-Wall is getting closer, saw a couple of moves that the old Wall was making the first 2 years. Another week or so and she will be just fine.

-26 TOs is wayyy too high, need to work on that some more. Got to get better passes in the post

-I would characterize this a good gutty win for these girls and a win I think a month ago they do not get, so they have improved a lot there

-Would like us to be more aggressive shooters, this will help a lot to prevent any doubling in the post.

-They did not let that 21-7 Drake run kill them, as they slowly but eventually got back into the ball game.

-Well attended game, around 1700

Things looked pretty bleak a couple of weeks ago, and now these girls have fought back with 3 straight wins. I think Brew is doing a good job with these girls.

Went to the game, so I'll try and fill the gaps

-Looking at the stats, surprised that we were even on the boards because I thought Drake did a way better job than us on that part.

-Evers had another nice game, but offense really doubled her up in the 2nd half and that is how they got a ton of turnovers. Think it would help to expand her game if she can develop a consistent 8-10 foot jumper.

-Smart was quiet until the end, but was huge when we needed her. That 3 pointer was a no doubter and she even knew it with a bit of a skip

-Wall is getting closer, saw a couple of moves that the old Wall was making the first 2 years. Another week or so and she will be just fine.

-26 TOs is wayyy too high, need to work on that some more. Got to get better passes in the post

-I would characterize this a good gutty win for these girls and a win I think a month ago they do not get, so they have improved a lot there

-Would like us to be more aggressive shooters, this will help a lot to prevent any doubling in the post.

-They did not let that 21-7 Drake run kill them, as they slowly but eventually got back into the ball game.

-Well attended game, around 1700

Things looked pretty bleak a couple of weeks ago, and now these girls have fought back with 3 straight wins. I think Brew is doing a good job with these girls.

Good attendance....NDSU's last game had 512. I think this team is starting to heat up, and with more wins the people will show up.

I think that North Dakota can be quite competetive in the Big Sky.................

Evers seemed like "a project" coming out of high school, but she has really progressed and is playing very well right now.

When Wall gets to 100%, UND could be a tough matchup in the paint with those two young ladies......................

Madi Buck is an excellent all-around player and seems to have a great work ethic. Megan Lauck has played quite well of late also. If the young ball-handlers of Williams and Mills play well, this team could be pretty good.........................