SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013

gfhockey

65 Harvard

52 UND

final

Kind of a disappointment considering the Bison beat Harvard by nine on Friday. Also a little disappointing considering UND won at Harvard last year.

Was guard play the problem? Turnovers? Shooting?

This doesn't bode well. The Mothershed girls might be missed more than I thought.

For one, there was no inside game. Two, their big gal would be left alone near the perimeter and she would drain it over and over again. Three, Harvard played an unusual zone defense and our girls looked pretty uncomfortable with it. Part of it was the guard play, but in my opinion, part of it was the old idea that we must get the ball into the post at all cost. I'm not sure how many turnovers were a result of ill advised passes down low, simply to get it down low. Five, Harvard played physical and tight defense. They were the better team today.

For one, there was no inside game. Two, their big gal would be left alone near the perimeter and she would drain it over and over again. Three, Harvard played an unusual zone defense and our girls looked pretty uncomfortable with it. Part of it was the guard play, but in my opinion, part of it was the old idea that we must get the ball into the post at all cost. I'm not sure how many turnovers were a result of ill advised passes down low, simply to get it down low. Five, Harvard played physical and tight defense. They were the better team today.

Thanks! Nice post. So Brewster is going to redshirt most the freshmen?

We need more shooters than just Lauck and Smart, that's going to be a problem for the rest of the year unless some of the others (Burck, Rothfusz, Buck) can start hitting some more of their open jump shots. We also need something more from our two primary point guards, Williams and Mills. Not sure they made any jump shot, and they didn't seem eager to create anything on the dribble other than bringing it up court. They are both solid on defense though, so perhaps that's all Brewster is wanting from them.

Harvard definitely outplayed us, got way to many open looks and were able to cause numerous turnovers. The unusual zone was a 2-1-2 extended zone defense with a trap, either at the point or if the ball was swung to the wings. It should have been something the coaches were able to address at halftime but if anything, Harvard ran it more in the second half to pretty good success. I saw a few plays run against that zone that worked very well (open jump shots, and open layups), but they were few.

This may be the least talented UND team we've seen since the mid-80's, before Buck came along. I know Wall has been hurt but is really gonna make that big a difference? In theory, right now, our best player is from Ada, Mn. I know she's a great kid and a hard worker but we need players and we need to recruit metro areas where there is a population base to find players. So far the Mpls. guards we've recruited can't play DI bball. Too many TO's and they can't shoot a lick. Season is early, can't panic, but wow.

This may be the least talented UND team we've seen since the mid-80's, before Buck came along. I know Wall has been hurt but is really gonna make that big a difference? In theory, right now, our best player is from Ada, Mn. I know she's a great kid and a hard worker but we need players and we need to recruit metro areas where there is a population base to find players. So far the Mpls. guards we've recruited can't play DI bball. Too many TO's and they can't shoot a lick. Season is early, can't panic, but wow.

I believe the only players on the roster who could possibly have been considered big scorers at the high school level (20+ ppg in at least one season) are Smart and Houdek, and the caliber of their competition had something to do with the high school scoring of both. When you are constantly recruiting players who scored 8-14 ppg at the high school level, it's probably not a big surprise that they struggle to score at this level. In terms of recruiting offensive talent, it's been a slow but steady decline since the Langen-Kimbrough years.

I believe the only players on the roster who could possibly have been considered big scorers at the high school level (20+ ppg in at least one season) are Smart and Houdek, and the caliber of their competition had something to do with the high school scoring of both. When you are constantly recruiting players who scored 8-14 ppg at the high school level, it's probably not a big surprise that they struggle to score at this level. In terms of recruiting offensive talent, it's been a slow but steady decline since the Langen-Kimbrough years.

Don't think Houdek ever ave. 20+ a game. Also don't think her class at Grafton ever made a state tournament. Totally agree, we need talent, not area talent, just talent!!!!!

Let's be honest about it. We don't have one outside player who is a consistent outside threat. Smart is capable of it but for the most part doesn't do that. We don't have anyone else who is even close to being consistent. There is some recruiting to be done.

Let's be honest about it. We don't have one outside player who is a consistent outside threat. Smart is capable of it but for the most part doesn't do that. We don't have anyone else who is even close to being consistent. There is some recruiting to be done.

Our guard play is very poor right now. Most are sophs. I believe but Williams, Smart got enough minutes last year that we know what they can and can't do. Other than Smart, none stretch defenses by making 3's. Post players have little room to move when teams sag to them. The TO thing is ridiculous though. 32 in a college bball game? Terrible.

I also say tongue in cheek, we scored over 40. Compared to the last couple of games, thats significantly better. We just may not have a lot of D1 talent at the moment. I think the verdict is still out, but it may or may not be part of the problem. The only game really this season I can comment on, having seen first hand, is the Harvard game. One of the things that stood out to me, was that our team plays hard with great energy and effort. But where one could speculate, why they may not have the right personel for this level is how easy they give the ball away, and how many shots they miss. Both inside and outside. Those things indicate players are trying to rush to compensate to play at a level, that our players may not be comfortable playing at.