SiouxSports.com Forum

#1 Sioux vs. #4 Western Michigan

brianvf

Let the real games begin!

The Sioux have the toughest #4 seed opponent in Western Michigan, who just beat Michigan in the CCHA tourney championship.

They appear to be a tough team that is peaking at the right time.

The Sioux will need to play like they did in the 3rd period against MN if they want to advance to the regional final!

WMU played four games against UND common opponents this season:

They played two games against SCSU after Xmas, losing 4-2 in game 1 and beating SCSU in OT 2-1 in game 2. The series was played in St. Cloud.

Right after the New Year, they played a series against UMD in Kalamazoo, losing both games 4-1 and 5-2 to Duluth.

I expect WMU to play tough and with a lot of confidence. Despite losing to Denver last year, they had a strong game and will likely build off their experience then and their recent CCHA run.

The guys need to come out, play smart, and limit mistakes. If Dell plays strong, the team should be able to move on for another tough matchup, but WMU will be no pushover.

They have a veteran NHL coach behind the bench, so they will be prepared to play. I doubt that they will have ever played in front of 15,000 fans, which is a bonus our boys have with the size of the Ralph (11,000) any given weekend, and the fact we just played our best hockey of the year at the X in front of a packed bi-partisan crowd. Expect more of the same with WMU getting the Gopher faithful behind them.

I don't know much about them, except for their goalie has been on a nice run and has pretty good numbers.

Our D is significantly bigger than theirs, and we are certain to have more skill on our top-line.

Special teams are always big in the tourney, and we saw how big a hole a team can dig if they parade to the box (us on Friday, DU on Saturday).

Despite stereotypes, UND is one of the least penalized times in the NCAA this year.

WMU will be hungry, we need to be hungrier. We need to win 5 on 5 and we need to have quick feet...win loose puck battles = win the game.

Watched some of the championship game vs. Michigan. WMU looks small and fast, kind of like BC. D better be ready for small speedy guys, a good warmup for BC, if they make it that far (BC and ND).

Also, looking at SOS in KRACH, which has almost always had most of the top 10 spots occupied by the WCHA, has 9 CCHA and 1 HE team this year; you have to go to number 15 to find the first WCHA team. The CCHA was the best conference this year, and one of them should win the NC.

I expect WMU to play tough and with a lot of confidence. Despite losing to Denver last year, they had a strong game and will likely build off their experience then and their recent CCHA run.

The guys need to come out, play smart, and limit mistakes. If Dell plays strong, the team should be able to move on for another tough matchup, but WMU will be no pushover.

There's nothing more dangerous than a team coming into the playoffs hot, the last 2 Super Bowl winners are proof of that.

This game has both teams peaking at the end, I expect a nail-biter.

I just saw a note that the X has opened up the club level for ticket sales. They originally only had the lower level open. We are in 102 Row 4. Evidently they don't plan to open the upper level, unless ticket demand gets much higher. Maybe the Gopher fans didn't have faith and pre-buy in the volumes they had hoped for. We need to make this REA East for this weekend.

WMU was a pretty strong team this year however they didn’t fare so well on the road…7-7-4 in away games. They split with St.Cloud at the end of December and lost two to UMD in early January … however they are 6-1-1 in their last eight games….should be a good game and I agree with a close preview to BC as we’ll get.

What color will everyone be sporting ??? White, Green or Black?

. We are in 102 Row 4. .

We'll be right behind you...we're in row 5

WMU was a pretty strong team this year however they didn’t fare so well on the road…7-7-4 in away games. They split with St.Cloud at the end of December and lost two to UMD in early January … however they are 6-1-1 in their last eight games….should be a good game and I agree with a close preview to BC as we’ll get.

What color will everyone be sporting ??? White, Green or Black?

We'll be right behind you...we're in row 5

Green really shows up nice on TV.

Just listened to INCH podcast and their analyzes of the Regionals. So they pretty much think BC has got this locked up. They also didn't have much love for the sIoux and seem to think WMU will take us down. That is fine with me as they can predict all they want. That is what we have been hearing all year long from these so called pundents. I know WMU is a good team and we will have to be on our game just like it would be playing anyone else.

• Upvote 1

Western Michigan is a very good team. Just beat Miami and Michigan. Were up 3-0 on Michigan at one point. It's going to be a heck of a battle at a weird time of the day to play a hockey game on saturday. The best part about this regional is that there will be atmosphere, and very good atmosphere. So many times, we have seen a couple thousand fans in some crappy AHL arena, after playing at the Ralph and at the Final Five previously. I think the gopher fans cheering against us, and the droves of Sioux fans cheering for us will energize the teams.

Small, quick WMU team, but our D is looking pretty good of late, especially against the pass. At least after the first period of the MN game. ;) If our D can keep their feet moving, get their hits in where they can, and stay out of the box, I see a win for the Sioux.

Saw Western Michigan play some in the CCHA semis and final. Goaltender was pretty decent but gave out big rebounds and wasn't the quickest side to side and also had some trouble high glove. They didn't seem to have to aggressive of forecheck and seemed to like to play a little bit of a trap, on the PK they had 3 guys stacked at the blue line and only sent 1 guy in the zone at all and not very aggressive. Their D are not as big as typical WCHA style d-men and they seemed to have a little trouble in the corners. Their forwards have some decent speed and skill, but if the boys play anything like this weekend we should be all right and I feel it is a good matchup for us.

The best part about this regional is that there will be atmosphere, and very good atmosphere. So many times, we have seen a couple thousand fans in some crappy AHL arena, after playing at the Ralph and at the Final Five previously. I think the gopher fans cheering against us, and the droves of Sioux fans cheering for us will energize the teams.

I was in Green Bay last year, and the atmosphere was horrible, but at least the Sioux won 2 games. This weekend should be crazy! Lets Go Sioux!!

For anyone that hasn't seen it, here is Chris Dilk's latest attempt at humor if UND beats WMU and BU beats the Gophers. Wow, that's really not very funny. So now we are making light of sexual assaults I am sure the victims will be amused. .

Plus, North Dakota and Boston University could potentially meet in the second round of the tournament, setting up the 'Racists vs. Rapists' headline I've had locked and loaded for weeks now.

For anyone that hasn't seen it, here is Chris Dilk's latest attempt at humor if UND beats WMU and BU beats the Gophers. Wow, that's really not very funny. So now we are making light of sexual assaults I am sure the victims will be amused. .

Plus, North Dakota and Boston University could potentially meet in the second round of the tournament, setting up the 'Racists vs. Rapists' headline I've had locked and loaded for weeks now.

That's pretty over the top and I assume most who read that are offended. That really has no place in that article.

Man, I read that earlier and thought the same thing!! That is a headline that no reputable person would EVER EVER EVER use. What an idiot

Wow that is as tasteless as it gets, absolutely nothing funny about it.