SiouxSports.com Forum

Jersey Concepts

Big A HG

Even though the nickname is hanging on for now, by next season we may be without the Sioux moniker. I wanted to whip up a few concepts that may be cool options in the future.

The black alternate has served us well over the years, but I wanted to add a fourth jersey to the lineup, a home alternate. It would give the fans at home a chance to see something different every now and again, instead of just during road games where there is limited opportunity to see them either in person or on TV. So, there will be:

1) Home White

2) Road Green

3) Alternate Road Black

4) Alternate Home Vintage White

The first one I've finished is the newly introduced home alternate jersey. It pays homage to the teams that came before and the long and storied Sioux tradition. Going off the recent "vintage white" look going on in the pros, I thought it would be neat to add something similar for a team that has among the greatest traditions in all of hockey. I didn't want to copy a previous Sioux jersey design, so created it to be unique, yet look like it's been around a long time. The jersey color is an off-white and I ditched all signs of black. For many years, black had no part in a Sioux jersey. The only design feature that is "modern" is the "ND" logo on the shoulders, but it is the most basic form of it and is only green with no outlining or contrasting colors to add to that vintage look.

EDGE_vintage_alt.png

Do you think an idea like this would fly? Does it work as a UND jersey? What would you tweak?

I'm in the works on the others and will post them as I go.

Really great concept.......

Even if it only made an appearance at the Nebraska outdoor game that looks awesome.

I wonder if the trend of the home team wearing color in the NHL will work itself down to the NCHC and college hockey in general.

I like the idea of the home Town crowd seeing the greens and alternates.

One of the neat things looking back at the old annuals was all the pics of the Sioux teams wearing green at home and many times dark on dark jersey matchups. That would look awesome colorized.

I would also concur that the green breezers come back, paired with green helmet as well.

Really great concept.......

Even if it only made an appearance at the Nebraska outdoor game that looks awesome.

I wonder if the trend of the home team wearing color in the NHL will work itself down to the NCHC and college hockey in general.

I like the idea of the home Town crowd seeing the greens and alternates.

One of the neat things looking back at the old annuals was all the pics of the Sioux teams wearing green at home and many times dark on dark jersey matchups. That would look awesome colorized.

I would also concur that the green breezers come back, paired with green helmet as well.

I think one of the biggest reasons for the NHL going to dark home jerseys was for the same reason I mentioned above. The home crowd fans never got to see the alternate jerseys if they were dark alternates (which are easier to make than a second home jersey). So, to increase marketing for home games and merchandise, the league switched. Now, the fans got to go have the opportunity to see them play in multiple dark uniforms and that leads to more interest in owning an alternate jersey opposed to when the fans could never go see them in it unless they made a long road trip.

Even though the nickname is hanging on for now, by next season we may be without the Sioux moniker. I wanted to whip up a few concepts that may be cool options in the future.

The black alternate has served us well over the years, but I wanted to add a fourth jersey to the lineup, a home alternate. It would give the fans at home a chance to see something different every now and again, instead of just during road games where there is limited opportunity to see them either in person or on TV. So, there will be:

1) Home White

2) Road Green

3) Alternate Road Black

The first one I've finished is the newly introduced home alternate jersey. It pays homage to the teams that came before and the long and storied Sioux tradition. Going off the recent "vintage white" look going on in the pros, I thought it would be neat to add something similar for a team that has among the greatest traditions in all of hockey. I didn't want to copy a previous Sioux jersey design, so created it to be unique, yet look like it's been around a long time. The jersey color is an off-white and I ditched all signs of black. For many years, black had no part in a Sioux jersey. The only design feature that is "modern" is the "ND" logo on the shoulders, but it is the most basic form of it and is only green with no outlining or contrasting colors to add to that vintage look.

EDGE_vintage_alt.png

Do you think an idea like this would fly? Does it work as a UND jersey? What would you tweak?

Would be excellent with green breezers and helmets, sock striping to match the sleeve and lower hem striping, and either green or throwback-brown gloves.

I'd lose the collar lacing though - most older jerseys didn't actually have those. I think this would look better without. Also, did you try the wordmark with vertical arching instead of radial?

I don't think it would look good with the black helmets, pants and gloves the team is currently wearing.

Really great concept....... Even if it only made an appearance at the Nebraska outdoor game that looks awesome. I wonder if the trend of the home team wearing color in the NHL will work itself down to the NCHC and college hockey in general. I like the idea of the home Town crowd seeing the greens and alternates. One of the neat things looking back at the old annuals was all the pics of the Sioux teams wearing green at home and many times dark on dark jersey matchups. That would look awesome colorized. I would also concur that the green breezers come back, paired with green helmet as well.

Didn't the CCHA switch to home teams wearing the colored jerseys a few years ago? I thought they did but could be wrong.

Would be excellent with green breezers and helmets, sock striping to match the sleeve and lower hem striping, and either green or throwback-brown gloves.

I'd lose the collar lacing though - most older jerseys didn't actually have those. I think this would look better without. Also, did you try the wordmark with vertical arching instead of radial?

I don't think it would look good with the black helmets, pants and gloves the team is currently wearing.

I didn't try any vertical arching because you didn't see any of it on the Sioux sweaters until the 1993-94 season. Any previous Sioux arching was radial, so that's why I went that route.

The Sioux had a ton of old jerseys with the laces as well, hence the reason I added that touch. From 1958-74 the team pretty much exclusively used laces. Previous to that, the collars were round in nature, and you can't do anything similar to that with the RBK Edge template, so I thought the laces were the easier way to get a vintage look that still tied to the program.

Didn't the CCHA switch to home teams wearing the colored jerseys a few years ago? I thought they did but could be wrong.

There may be some instances where each team wears dark jerseys, but they still mostly follow the home white rule as far as I know.

I think one of the biggest reasons for the NHL going to dark home jerseys was for the same reason I mentioned above. The home crowd fans never got to see the alternate jerseys if they were dark alternates (which are easier to make than a second home jersey). So, to increase marketing for home games and merchandise, the league switched. Now, the fans got to go have the opportunity to see them play in multiple dark uniforms and that leads to more interest in owning an alternate jersey opposed to when the fans could never go see them in it unless they made a long road trip.

NHL should go back to white at home - I am tired of seeing the road whites of every team - we miss out seeing some classic dark unis (Hawks/Wings Reds, Rangers/Leafs Blues).

Home could wear dark on occasion to show off alternates.

NHL should go back to white at home - I am tired of seeing the road whites of every team - we miss out seeing some classic dark unis (Hawks/Wings Reds, Rangers/Leafs Blues).

Home could wear dark on occasion to show off alternates.

That's why I'm suprised there is even a rule to start with. Teams should be able to wear what they want at home. They should be able to mix it up and not have jerseys labeled as home or away, just jerseys.

What a bunch of fashionistas you guys have become. Talking about what accesories to wear with the new outfits. What color should the skates and sticks be? :whistling:

Whether you like it or not, uniforms can be a great marketing tool for recruiting. Look at what Oregon football has done since going to a zillion different uniforms that grab people's attention, whether the opinion of them is good or bad. To the younger crowd's eyes, a flashy uniform can sway a player's decision. Not all, but some. It sounds stupid, but it's true. I want to gear the other three jersey concepts to fit that, with the home alternate to pay homage to the long-time fans and historic teams.

That's why I'm suprised there is even a rule to start with. Teams should be able to wear what they want at home. They should be able to mix it up and not have jerseys labeled as home or away, just jerseys.

Whether you like it or not, uniforms can be a great marketing tool for recruiting. Look at what Oregon football has done since going to a zillion different uniforms that grab people's attention, whether the opinion of them is good or bad. To the younger crowd's eyes, a flashy uniform can sway a player's decision. Not all, but some. It sounds stupid, but it's true. I want to gear the other three jersey concepts to fit that, with the home alternate to pay homage to the long-time fans and historic teams.

Can not grab the concept of a joke? I do like the retro jersey at the top of this thread. I have never liked the black jerseys though. Heck I press my shirts when they come back from the cleaners. I also never thought that Ben's design looked good on the jerseys compared to the Blackhawk design.

Can not grab the concept of a joke? I do like the retro jersey at the top of this thread. I have never liked the black jerseys though. Heck I press my shirts when they come back from the cleaners. I also never thought that Ben's design looked good on the jerseys compared to the Blackhawk design.

I hope this is a joke too...

1) Home White

2) Road Green

3) Alternate Road Black

EDGE_vintage_alt.png

They should have you design the jerseys. I would square of the bottom of this one though. Try making the stripes on the arms equal. Something is getting lost with the two sizes. This also would look good in green. This is going sound wierd but is there a way to include a little pink in as homage to the origional school colors?

No I am serious about this. I never liked the black and I never was impressed with Ben's design going back to the day it was released. All the lines are too sharp and does not flow well.

A lot of people disagree with you according to that contest that ranked it as the best looking logo in all of hockey, but hey you're entitled to your opinion...

I guess the reason I like the new one is because of the symbolism behind it.

A lot of people disagree with you according to that contest that ranked it as the best looking logo in all of hockey, but hey you're entitled to your opinion...

I guess the reason I like the new one is because of the symbolism behind it.

What contest? I have always heard this also but who, where, and when was the vote taken? In the 80's when the switch was made from the Blackhawk to the geometric logo the same thing was said then. So again I ask can anyone provide a link or proof that such a vote was taken.

What contest? I have always heard this also but who, where, and when was the vote taken? In the 80's when the switch was made from the Blackhawk to the geometric logo the same thing was said then. So again I ask can anyone provide a link or proof that such a vote was taken.

There was a voting poll done with hockey jerseys from every league. The Sioux jersey won. It was on some website a few years ago. Prior to the Sioux jersey winning in that poll, there was another similar survey/poll website voting page and the Sioux jersey took runner-up. Schlossman would know and could provide the link.

You sound like a old grumpy man, watchmaker49. What's your deal?

There was a voting poll done with hockey jerseys from every league. The Sioux jersey won. It was on some website a few years ago. Prior to the Sioux jersey winning in that poll, there was another similar survey/poll website voting page and the Sioux jersey took runner-up. Schlossman would know and could provide the link.

http://www.thehockey...take-title.html

That should be proof enough. :)

Basically they had it start with all the jerseys from all the professional, major junior, and college ranks. North Dakota dominated the entire way.

let's not let facts get in the way... that poll is probably from the 70s before al gore invented the interwebs :lol: and back to the original design posted, nothing will replace the sioux logo, but it is what it is, and i think your design is pretty awesome. simple yet a very nice looking jersey. i would vote for it, on a random internet poll, from the 80s ;)

Not grumpy at all. A poll where one person can vote a 1000 times means nothing.