SiouxSports.com Forum

Who Here Would Walk Away From 250K to Stand on Your Convictions?

watchmaker49

It would probably depend on a lot of other factors. What other jobs are open, or will open. Who has talked them. Their personal financial situation. How strongly they felt about the situation. People have walked away from a lot more.

People have walked away from more, just not people that post here.

Implicit in this question is the belief that Hak was pressured.

I know people who deal with Faison daily. Pressure tactics is not how Brian operates. Remember: he has to have a working relationship with his coaches. Ultimatum tactics don't make for good relationships.

And as far as Hak, his convictions are the hockey program (his program) first, then the rest. Something, something precious, has become a detriment, a net negative, to the program. As precious as it may be, the program comes first, even for Hak.

If you didn't hear Schlossman on "Dizzo's Den" last night you missed Brad saying that he's never heard Hak say something he didn't believe in and that Hak would say nothing before saying something he didn't believe in.

Implicit in this question is the belief that Hak was pressured.

I know people who deal with Faison daily. Pressure tactics is not how Brian operates. Remember: he has to have a working relationship with his coaches. Ultimatum tactics don't make for good relationships.

And as far as Hak, his convictions are the hockey program (his program) first, then the rest. Something, something precious, has become a detriment, a net negative, to the program. As precious as it may be, the program comes first, even for Hak.

If you didn't hear Schlossman on "Dizzo's Den" last night you missed Brad saying that he's never heard Hak say something he didn't believe in and that Hak would say nothing before saying something he didn't believe in.

Public Hak, not private Hak. This guy is not a god as some here believe.

I think Brad is the most thorough beat writer in college hockey, but he is, for lack of a better word, a bit of a UND propagandist. Danny Kristo, Gregiore's decision to turn pro, etc. But with that said, I believe Hakstol was telling the truth.

Who here would walk from that kind of money to stand on your convictions? Just as I thought. None.

What you don't seem to understand is that Hakstol stood by his convictions. His contract was not a factor in his statement. He is not in favor of losing the name and logo and he isn't being forced to make a statement. He is smart enough to see the harm these sanctions will cause UND hockey and therfore he stated that. He has spoken out in order to defend his program. Dale Lennon has confirmed the issue has UND FB in recruiting. Anyone who thinks hockey recruiting is not hurt by this are fools. Hakstol is also aware of that fact. There is no one in there right mind who understands intercollegiate athletics that doesn't understand sanctions by the NCAA will hurt UND hockey and UND athletics. Not being in the Big Sky or similar conference will destroy UND athletics. Calling people sheep or insinuating Hakstol was coerced is foolish. I read the letter from the SL folks and I thought it was well written. They are being told that UND officials are making up the real threat to the Big Sky membership and they are told that the NCAA will cave in if the State of N.DAk. would force the name on UND. What they are being told is not true. Just like the NCAA believed the crap they were told by the Jeanottes and Longies about the name being hostile and abusive, these folks are believing the crap they are told by the Frank Burgraffs and name supporters. Simply put the NCAA gave UND the same chance that FSU, Utah and Central Michigan took advantage of and that was support by one named trib in 2005. Don't come now and blame UND or UND officials because the tribes didnt' want to help back then There is ample evidence that if UND brings the name back the same cast of Characters will be picketing and lobbying against the name. UND needs to move on. All of the things UND stands for is unchanged and UND can still provide the same programming and advantages for our State's Native American students.

• Upvote 3

So, if I understand this correctly, the self-professed "insider" is calling out Coach Hakstol for not standing up for his convictions, after being one of the people on here just a week ago that was calling out Coach Hakstol for not speaking out in support of dropping the nickname. Is that about right?

Some of you should keep digging. Maybe Coach Hakstol changed his tune because a part of this nickname flip flopping finally affected the hockey team. For once the entire athletic department is united on their opinions of what needs to happen with the nickname and that is making some nervous. There are a lot of University of North Dakota sports fans out there who are starting to hear a united message.

• Upvote 1

What you don't seem to understand is that Hakstol stood by his convictions. His contract was not a factor in his statement. He is not in favor of losing the name and logo and he isn't being forced to make a statement. He is smart enough to see the harm these sanctions will cause UND hockey and therfore he stated that. He has spoken out in order to defend his program. Dale Lennon has confirmed the issue has UND FB in recruiting. Anyone who thinks hockey recruiting is not hurt by this are fools. Hakstol is also aware of that fact. There is no one in there right mind who understands intercollegiate athletics that doesn't understand sanctions by the NCAA will hurt UND hockey and UND athletics. Not being in the Big Sky or similar conference will destroy UND athletics. Calling people sheep or insinuating Hakstol was coerced is foolish. I read the letter from the SL folks and I thought it was well written. They are being told that UND officials are making up the real threat to the Big Sky membership and they are told that the NCAA will cave in if the State of N.DAk. would force the name on UND. What they are being told is not true. Just like the NCAA believed the crap they were told by the Jeanottes and Longies about the name being hostile and abusive, these folks are believing the crap they are told by the Frank Burgraffs and name supporters. Simply put the NCAA gave UND the same chance that FSU, Utah and Central Michigan took advantage of and that was support by one named trib in 2005. Don't come now and blame UND or UND officials because the tribes didnt' want to help back then There is ample evidence that if UND brings the name back the same cast of Characters will be picketing and lobbying against the name. UND needs to move on. All of the things UND stands for is unchanged and UND can still provide the same programming and advantages for our State's Native American students.

Hak has enough brain matter to do the right thing. What Hak did here along with Dale (who remembers when he bounced at the Spud Bar?) and O'Keefe and the posters here kept their convictions but are willing to sacrafice them for the good of the whole. What Hak and most everybody here has done is show a complete lack of selflessness. I don't think Hak sold out at all. He was being a pragmatist.

I want Hak to stay (& coach the AHL team)

I will no give my input into the nickname itself as there are good arguments on both sides of it, but I have absolutely no respect for fans like you. You don't care one bit about the university and that has absolutely no basis for your decision, all you care about is the nickname. The nickname is and will remained trademarked by the university, it is impossible for anyone not associated with the university to use this nickname as it will continue to be trademarked whether it is kept or retired.

It's disgusting that someone can like a nickname so much and care for a university so little.

• Upvote 2

I do believe there is a ruling on how the Name & Logo can be transfered & I believe that is one of the things SL is Persuing in the Lawsuit

Thanks for the not saying what you really think

Don't forget that there are a lot more folks like me

Living in Denver on a saturday afternoon after a really impressive february Fighting SIOUX victory on friday night, I think I would pay 250,000 dollars 4 a little red pepper about right now! But give up the name, F-no!

... I recon Im going to have to make shift some red pepper. Does anyone have any idea what's in the white sauce?

• Upvote 1

I do believe there is a ruling on how the Name & Logo can be transfered & I believe that is one of the things SL is Persuing in the Lawsuit

Thanks for the not saying what you really think

Don't forget that there are a lot more folks like me

More people that want to take down a great institution?

Your pretty insecure about greatness if you think fighting the ncaa & supporting SL will bring down UND - more fear mongering & rather run than fight

You admit that you don't understand the process, but you're sure that your side will win. You don't care what damage is done to UND or the Athletic Department, as long as you get to keep the nickname and logo. You call people names instead of supporting your case with actual facts. You believe that the people that have a very limited connection to the school (they really like the cool nickname and logo) should have more say in the matter than the people that have a deep connection to the school. Does that pretty much cover your position on the issue, or am I missing something?
  • Upvote 2

I understand the facts perfectly & will not go negative until some Bozo chimes in then like I said You Get What You Give

It's bigger than just UND now - It's also all Fans - People of ND - SL Tribe - Pride of Dakota not being put down & told what to do by ncaa

It is worth fighting for & if we lose - the little damage can be repaired - But if we lose the Great Name & Logo is gone forever - wait & see how many will vote to keep it all alive - BECAUSE IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO - YOU DON"T GIVE UP WHEN YOUR RIGHT & the only consequences are maybe this & that will happen for a year or so - In the end ND will do the right thing - you are just trying to force us to do it out of Fear