SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Michigan Tech

AZSIOUX

Overall it wasn't one of the better weekends defensively the Sioux have played. Like many have mentioned, sloppy with the puck in their own end, turnovers, etc. Its funny because if you told anyone they'd only give up three goals the entire weekend you'd take it and run with it.

Eidsness was lucky.....enough said about that. But like I said before, he is quietly having a pretty good year, and giving the team a chance when he's in the net.

Overall it wasn't one of the better weekends defensively the Sioux have played.

You do realized that they only gave up three goals all weekend long. I think we need to give credit where credit is due, MTU had some good speed through the forward lines and I thought our goaltending was pretty good... Doesn't hurt once in a while to be lucky but Eidsness made some big saves this weekend. I think the goaltender that was an All-WCHA team x2 is back.

anyone who thinks we will go out to denver and get a sweep is nuts. I'll take a split and be happy, same as in duluth.

Don't go around calling me nuts. I have faith in my freaking team. That's not saying it will happen because Gwoz is in bed with the officials, but I believe in my team and won't be surprised if it does. Sorry I have a glass half full approach instead of being negative and pessimistic.

• Upvote 1

Don't go around calling me nuts. I have faith in my freaking team. That's not saying it will happen because Gwoz is in bed with the officials, but I believe in my team and won't be surprised if it does. Sorry I have a glass half full approach instead of being negative and pessimistic.

I think with this team anything is possible. I think UND showed last weekend that they can skate with anyone.

Wilbur you say "Eidness was lucky" like it is not normal for a goalie to catch some breaks? The plays he could have been scored on and replays show he stopped it looking like the Tanzmanian Devil was what declared his play this weekend outstanding, IMO! This weekend made me feel even better about the boys and their chances to make some noise next month!

GO SIOUX!!!

You do realized that they only gave up three goals all weekend long. I think we need to give credit where credit is due, MTU had some good speed through the forward lines and I thought our goaltending was pretty good... Doesn't hurt once in a while to be lucky but Eidsness made some big saves this weekend. I think the goaltender that was an All-WCHA team x2 is back.

Yup....mentioned the the point in my post. :p

I agree, Tech is a much improved club, that has knocked off some good teams this year. Their goaltending is tremendous...glad that kid is a senior.

Got to get at least a point out of Denver......UND has been good on the road. I think they win on Friday and lose on Saturday ala Duluth.

I agree, Tech is a much improved club, that has knocked off some good teams this year. Their goaltending is tremendous...glad that kid is a senior.

Got to get at least a point out of Denver......UND has been good on the road. I think they win on Friday and lose on Saturday ala Duluth.

I am hoping we don't see Todd Anderson or Don Adam this weekend.

I concur with what you state hayduke. I would really like for there to be a push to get them into our conference in 2 years. They are a team that would be good for the league to balance out the geographics. Lets get them and Northern Michigan. Just a thought.

I would like to see that just to keep using the McNaughton Cup for the league championship.

Just getting back to the computer after a weekend of hockey:

1) Eidsness looks rested, focused and ready to go. He's in a position to steal a couple wins. Yes, "iron is a goalies best friend", but the only goals Tech got all weekend were fluky (off a guys chest) or unstoppable tips (right in front). Given a chance, he made the save. I hope I'm not overestimating his play, because Tech doesn't have finishers like Minnesota or Denver do.

2) On Friday, Kristo, Nelson and Knight could just as well have had 6 goals. Dominant. Then Saturday it looked like they were skating in mud.

3) Way too much flinging the puck blindly in our own zone, and in neutral zone. This is something that can be coached, but time runs short this season. This was not just rookies, it was players who know better. Somewhat shocking, actually.

4) Will need to run a longer bench on Friday ... and Saturday ... in the higher elevation of Denver. I'm expecting to see some kind of rotation scheme with spot-shifting 4th liners in with 3rd and 1st liners, as a way to keep legs fresh but without risking getting exposed.

5) Saturday was one of the quieter libraries I've been in in a long time.

6) There's a lot to admire about how this team sticks together, plays together, and plays with discipline. But we're left with no margin for error against teams like Denver. One bad penalty, one bad turnover, one soft goal, and it might cost a game. But on the other hand, if you are going into battle, pick someone you trust, and this team seems ready to do that.

Here's hoping for an epic finish to a tumultuous season. Go take down Denver, boys.

• Upvote 1

Farce,

I think you hit the nail on the head on most of your points. I have faith in Eids, but only so much until I see a bit more from him. His biggest difference this weekend, in my opinion, was his lateral movement. I think that's one thing that he always struggled at and he'd end up flailing out of position easy on many occasions, even as a full-time starter his first two seasons. His balance and movement was pretty sharp, which allowed him to stay in more plays than usual for him. If he can continue that, he's going to have a strong finish to his senior season and hopefully get some looks in a pro-league. It seems he has accepted his role behind Dell in a positive manner, which makes me really like having him on the team.

Your third point is something that the team struggles with some games through many of the previous seasons. When the team is struggling a bit to move the puck, they just start throwing blind passes and rely on dump and chase a little too much. I know sometimes the opponent's defense can dictate how you play your game, but I thought they were a little too impatient with the puck which led to a lot of turnovers.

The fifth point you made is something that needs to be addressed. It's a shame that a 10,000+ arena with the following the Sioux have can't find ways to stay in the game. It's easy to be a great crowd when things are going good on the ice, but on Saturday you could hear most of the players' chatter on the ice from my TV perspective, and every crowd shot during the game showed what appeared to be uninterested fans. Those who are able to attend the games need to help out on their end a bit to give the team a little more home-ice advantage.

The fifth point you made is something that needs to be addressed. It's a shame that a 10,000+ arena with the following the Sioux have can't find ways to stay in the game. It's easy to be a great crowd when things are going good on the ice, but on Saturday you could hear most of the players' chatter on the ice from my TV perspective, and every crowd shot during the game showed what appeared to be uninterested fans. Those who are able to attend the games need to help out on their end a bit to give the team a little more home-ice advantage.

I think it was the opponent, to be honest. Let's face it...we haven't exactly had barn-burners with MTU the past however many years. For the fans, there just isn't any intensity to a match-up between these two teams because the outcome has been one-sided for so long.

Don't know how you can tell people of 12,000 to be more into a game on a blog? Don't you think this is the REA's problem and they should find a solution? First off "clap clap, clap your hands" is what, four years old and stupid IMO. than I'm a huge GNR fan but welcome to the jungle is now used there for over five years! How about mixing it up? Anyone been to a Wild game? The snippet from Predator when Arney screams holding the torch, my spine tingles and I'm going nuts with everyone else! How about a new song "stand up and shout"? Also used at the xcel! I'm a season ticket holder and I see it happening, but what can I do about it? It starts with the students and they get jacked from the Jumbo tron! Just watch pregame when the Sioux smash a couple gopher players the students go nuts and the rest follow! Simple fix if you ask me and proof right there it works! But complaining on a blog that us ticket holders are too quiet is silly!

• Upvote 1

--------------------

Is that not what's being said here?

The fifth point you made is something that needs to be addressed. It's a shame that a 10,000+ arena with the following the Sioux have can't find ways to stay in the game. It's easy to be a great crowd when things are going good on the ice, but on Saturday you could hear most of the players' chatter on the ice from my TV perspective, and every crowd shot during the game showed what appeared to be uninterested fans. Those who are able to attend the games need to help out on their end a bit to give the team a little more home-ice advantage. -------------------- Is that not what's being said here?

I think it was a really boring game to watch as well... I asked the shirtless guy if this is the kind of hockey that they like to watch and apparently it is.

I was at the Friday/Sat games against MN and thought Sat was a morgue from the start of the game. Got a little interesting when the team started to pressure MN but other than that it might have been as quiet as I've ever seen (I only see 1 series a year at the Ralph, so take that for what it's worth)