SiouxSports.com Forum

In a nut shell

Fetch

That is the opinion of small minded people who never competed in athletics (if in anything). Normal people can see the harm this will cause our hockey team and the University. Those of you who have no clue of what it takes to recruit kids, run the equipment room, provide medical coverage, get these kids to class etc. will continue to spew ignorant crap like this. This proves there are a few people out there who can cower behind a blog and throw insults at others and is small minded and self centered enough not to care about the women's hockey team, the students, the administration, and the other athletes. Turn off the Oprah channel long enough to watch the UND women's game and you will learn about what tradition is. That is the same tradition for UND hockey and other sports and no one talks about the Sioux name or logo because it is meaningless when you walk into the locker room or onto the ice, court or field of competition. Tradition is about the relationships, teammates, coaches and the experience. People with opinions such as this are meaningless to UND hockey and always will be. The conclusion and this thread are evidence you don't see the big picture. .

*(Standing up and clapping.......)

I am a die hard UND hockey fan but also a die hard FB, VB, MBB, WBB, Swimming, Baseball, Track and University fan. This is as important for hockey's future as it is for FB, BB etc. Some don't see it because they refuse to believe what those in the know are telling them. Frank Burgraff is maybe a hockey only guy. He doesn't remember or probably doesn't care about all of the Sioux FB, BB, Baseball, Track coaches who went to bat for Gino when Miller was not going to give hime a shot at the hockey job. Those guys are not UND hockey nor is anyone person. UND hockey is about all of those guys, coaches, cheerleaders, fans who supported the team over the years to enable them to be in a position to win 7 championships. I will remember Frank's stance and how it is hurting UND but I don't want anything bad to happen to hockey. I didn't like Haks email to support the flawed legislation but I want him t continue as our coach and I hope he wins 3 or 4 championships before he is done. I hope people closer to him than we are will remind him how UND athletics is a family who have benfited from the successes of each other over the years and we may need his help lobbying hockey fans to defeat this measure. I would guess he speaks to other college coaches who see no problems with the NCAA sanctions. UND administrators speak to college presidents and AD's and seem to be learning otherwise. This is a University matter and it is as important to the future of hockey as it is to the other sports. We simply can't afford to be sanctioned by the NCAA.

With over 80 years of excellence, success and tradition as being the "Fighting Sioux", I'll never get the big picture I guess.

Clap for them, clap for them!

I've seen it and heard all before.

With over 80 years of excellence, success and tradition as being the "Fighting Sioux", I'll never get the big picture I guess.

Do you want the excellence, success and tradition to continue? The NCAA sanctions will greatly decrease the chances of continued success for the University of North Dakota. That includes all athletic programs. Giving up the Fighting Sioux nickname will give UND a fighting chance to be a successful Division I athletic program. That's the big picture.

I wonder how many people are going to be confused on what "yes" and "no" mean. A yes vote will uphold the repeal of the earlier bill which mandated the name stay.

In other words, a yes vote gets rid of the name, a no vote leaves the name. Try explaining that to some people.

• Upvote 1

Bottom line,

If the situation has reached the point where Tim O'Keefe has said the consequences are too dire, it's time.

I don't care who you are or what "cred" you claim, you really can't trump Tim: member of four generation UND family, hockey letterwinner, VP of the Alumni Association and Foundation.

Remember, Tim O'Keefe is the guy who, when SCSU created their "can't say 'Sioux' on our campus" policy checked his hockey broadcast (color guy) microphone by saying, "Fighting Sioux, Fighting Sioux, FIGHTING SIOUX!"

Tim O'Keefe has come to the conclusion that the name has to go for the best interests of UND. Tim O'Keefe. Name someone, anyone, living, who's more "Mr. UND."

Someone in the room I'm in just tried "Earl Strinden" on me. Remember the earlier letter from past UNDAA&F presidents saying it was time for the name to go? Earl signed onto that. Try again.

• Upvote 3

Bottom line, If the situation has reached the point where Tim O'Keefe has said the consequences are too dire, it's time. I don't care who you are or what "cred" you claim, you really can't trump Tim: member of four generation UND family, hockey letterwinner, VP of the Alumni Association and Foundation. Remember, Tim O'Keefe is the guy who, when SCSU created their "can't say 'Sioux' on our campus" policy checked his hockey broadcast (color guy) microphone by saying, "Fighting Sioux, Fighting Sioux, FIGHTING SIOUX!" Tim O'Keefe has come to the conclusion that the name has to go for the best interests of UND. Tim O'Keefe. Name someone, anyone, living, who's more "Mr. UND." Someone in the room I'm in just tried "Earl Strinden" on me. Remember the earlier letter from past UNDAA&F presidents saying it was time for the name to go? Earl signed onto that. Try again.

I had a conversation with Tim O'Keefe at the Final Five last season and Tim basically said that there is no way we can continue with the Fighting Sioux nickname... This is coming from a guy that is basically as pro-UND as they come.

I had a conversation with Tim O'Keefe at the Final Five last season and Tim basically said that there is no way we can continue with the Fighting Sioux nickname... This is coming from a guy that is basically as pro-UND as they come.

That just leaves Hakstol as the only pro-Sioux name they have left. There has to be some pressure on him to say its time for the name to be retired.

That just leaves Hakstol as the only pro-Sioux name they have left. There has to be some pressure on him to say its time for the name to be retired.

Maybe that "pressure" will come when Lucia, Eaves, et. al., tell him we they cannot schedule UND due to some conference and/or school policy drafted by academic eggheads ... give it a couple of years. As long as UND stays on the H&A list winters in NoDak may be "longer and colder" than usual in the future.

Maybe that "pressure" will come when Lucia, Eaves, et. al., tell him we they cannot schedule UND due to some conference and/or school policy drafted by academic eggheads ... give it a couple of years. As long as UND stays on the H&A list winters in NoDak may be "longer and colder" than usual in the future.

Maturi and the Assistant AD at Wisconsin gave that message to Faison last week. Minnesota and Wisconsin are done playing UND after they all leave the WCHA, unless the name changes.

If I remember right when asked about the nickname coming back, Hakstol said, "no comment!"

If I remember right when asked about the nickname coming back, Hakstol said, "no comment!"

Makes me wonder if he was 'encouraged' to remain silent on this latest twist, or if his thinking is actually swaying a bit after mulling over the potential consequences.

Hard to say.

Makes me wonder if he was 'encouraged' to remain silent on this latest twist, or if his thinking is actually swaying a bit after mulling over the potential consequences.

Hard to say.

Faison was on the radio last week and was asked about Hakstol's comment (email) and he said that issue was straightened out. Sounds like Faison reminded him who signes his pay checks.

To UND faculty who oppose nickname - "Speak out, be heard, be the voice for change! Stop racism and oppression!" To UND hockey coach who favors nickname - "Keep your mouth shut and remember who signs your paychecks."

I guess we have all of the bases covered now. :lol: