SiouxSports.com Forum

In a nut shell

Fetch

I am making this it's own post - Why we must pass the Spirit Lake Refferal vote

"It's now or never - Like many worry about all the potential bad things - I worry about even if SL wins the Kelly Admin. will do everything possible to not let the name come back. If all this was not happening it would have been over & without the referral vote the Kelly admin. would have continued to phase out everything Fighting Sioux. I ask how hard would it be to bring the name back if he had succeeded ?

Thank goodness we are where we are & if the election / referral is passed, we will have until the SL lawsuit is complete to save the name - Plus save lots of expense making everything right again

& thats a fact.

The above is worth it to me when all we are sure to lose is wearing the logo on Jerseys & center ice & maybe home ice for ncaa playoffs

If SL loses then have your own referral petition to remove the name

Because of all the above everyone should vote YES !"

• Upvote 2

That is the opinion of small minded people who never competed in athletics (if in anything). Normal people can see the harm this will cause our hockey team and the University. Those of you who have no clue of what it takes to recruit kids, run the equipment room, provide medical coverage, get these kids to class etc. will continue to spew ignorant crap like this. This proves there are a few people out there who can cower behind a blog and throw insults at others and is small minded and self centered enough not to care about the women's hockey team, the students, the administration, and the other athletes. Turn off the Oprah channel long enough to watch the UND women's game and you will learn about what tradition is. That is the same tradition for UND hockey and other sports and no one talks about the Sioux name or logo because it is meaningless when you walk into the locker room or onto the ice, court or field of competition. Tradition is about the relationships, teammates, coaches and the experience. People with opinions such as this are meaningless to UND hockey and always will be. The conclusion and this thread are evidence you don't see the big picture. .

• Upvote 4

what ever Ira - send me another one of your threatening I'm a tough guy PM's

Time will tell

& your reply is proof of who is out of touch & slinging mud about things you have not a clue about (stick to the points)

Everything I said above is spot on - debate me if you like or If you don't like it PLEASE Ignore me - You don't give a rip about the Fans or Sioux Tribes & not all the athletes agree with you - I bet if they know you they think what a OLD - thinks he knows it all - want to be bully. Those days are over

• Upvote 1

what ever Ira - send me another one of your threatening I'm a tough guy PM's

Time will tell

& your reply is proof of who is out of touch & slinging mud about things you have not a clue about (stick to the points)

Everything I said above is spot on - debate me if you like or If you don't like it PLEASE Ignore me - You don't give a rip about the Fans or Sioux Tribes & not all the athletes agree with you - I bet if they know you they think what a OLD - thinks he knows it all - want to be bully. Those days are over

Big talk from somebody who gets his "news" from http://www.sayanythingblog.com. Your cute little one sentence answers to everything are very tiresome. You (and every single person who signed those petitions) are putting this entire institution and everything it stands for in grave danger. I am all in favor of the Spirit Lake lawsuit, but these petitions are not going to fix anything.

Nice comeback,. "whatever".

You have no idea what or why Kelly is doing with this issue. You seem to need someone to blame and Kelly and the adminsitration are some of your targets. They could have done things differently along the way and probably could have done some things better but you take a lot of shots at guys when they can't defend themselves nor correct the inaccuracies you continue to blog.

You can hide behind a blog and make claims as inaccurate as most of the rest of the stuff you post regarding UND. I am too old to be a tough guy and I would never waste my time threatening you or anyone else on a blog. Who said I didn't like you? Your comments entertain me and obviously others. Kinda like watching cartoons when I was a kid. We can laugh and don't have to think. Reminds me of Graham Cracker. That isn't you under a different name is it Cracker? Not like you? A guy with a fetish for pink colored sheep? I find you fascinating and get a kick out of your posts. When we blog goofy stuff we can't get our grundies in a bundle if people don't agree.

• Upvote 1

Kelley should lay out an executive order. 1) Keep the Sioux name for the Men's hockey team only, so UND will keep it's word to Spirit Lake and Ralph. 2) Drop the name and go with North Dakota for all other sports to respect the opposition. Essentially, UND is already there and let the chips fall where they fall. The Big Sky would be OK with it, and the hand the feeds all UND athletics men's hockey would be safe.

As for the NCAA, whatever.

• Upvote 2

more mud

what was not correct ? :whistling:

We are also sure to lose home field for football in the playoffs. That's another sport that is played at UND. It's at least as big a worry as losing home ice for hockey because at the present time the NCAA hockey tournament for men is held at neutral sites. It could potentially affect volleyball and probably some other sports. And since home teams win a much higher percentage of games, matchs, etc., it will probably affect the success of the teams.

Sanctions will definitely affect recruiting. They have hurt the South Carolina football team, and they aren't even directly affected by the sanctions, so sanctions will hurt recruiting for most of the sports at UND. If you were an athlete (probably a big if I would assume) and you had a choice between a school that was eligible to host playoff games and one that wasn't, which would you choose? I know that you would choose UND just to prove a point. Most people are going where they have the best chance of winning. Most athletes want to go where they aren't going to be penalized just for showing up.

If recruiting suffers, the play on the field, court, rink, etc., will suffer. That means less success and more losses. More losses means less people in the seats. Less people in the seats means less money for the program. And don't try to tell me that people will keep showing up at the Alerus Center or at the Ralph if the teams are losing. The football team had one bad season and a couple of weak schedules, what happened? Attendance went down. The same thing happened in the 90's for the hockey team when there was more than 1 bad year in a row. A lot of sports fans are front runners and will quit buying tickets if the teams aren't successful.

Those were just a few of things that weren't correct. And it didn't even consider what may or may not happen with the Big Sky. That could spiral downward very quickly. You want to keep this going until the Spirit Lake lawsuit is done. That is a minimum of 2 years, probably closer to 3-5 years, and could go on for at least a decade with appeals. The Athletic Department would be severely damaged in 3-5 years and could be just about done by the end of the decade. And you want that just so you can continue to cheer for the Fighting Sioux. That's not selfish at all, is it?

• Upvote 1

more mud

what was not correct ? :whistling:

Oh, I dunno. Maybe you forgot the loss of home playoffs for football; maybe it was the loss of games against Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and, as I recall, South Dakota State. Then there's the looming removal from the Big Sky if this circus continues. But that one isn't "for sure" because I'm guessing your research has proven the Big Sky "can't" drop UND or that "the Big Sky needs UND more than UND needs the Big Sky," despite what the league's commissioner said on half a dozen broadcast stations this week.

• Upvote 1

mine were facts your still speculating - throwing mud & scare tactics :whistling:

"It's now or never - Like many worry about all the potential bad things - I worry about even if SL wins the Kelly Admin. will do everything possible to not let the name come back. If all this was not happening it would have been over & without the referral vote the Kelly admin. would have continued to phase out everything Fighting Sioux. I ask how hard would it be to bring the name back if he had succeeded ?

Thank goodness we are where we are & if the election / referral is passed, we will have until the SL lawsuit is complete to save the name - Plus save lots of expense making everything right again

& thats a fact.

The only "fact" in your first post was that UND would save money if they kept the name forever rather than changing it now and changing it again later. Of course they would lose any money they would earn from being in a Division I conference (that's how all of the NCAA basketball money is distributed). And they would lose a lot of money in ticket sales if they start losing a lot of games like I mentioned before. And since there isn't anything close to a guarantee that Spirit Lake is going to win the lawsuit, they would still have to pay to change everything in the future when the name got changed. You might want to look up the definition of fact.

If you can absorb what you read it is all true - & logical to how there is still hope - your option means you gave up - are to afraid of things that may never happen - work for Kelly UND Payroll - Hate the Sioux Name or Sioux people - I could go on

Lets agree we disagree - But keep your broken record fears in a post of your own this one is Why We All Should See This Threw

IF Not It Would Have Been Over - Because of the Push by Kelly to make it so - A lot of people seem to agree & we will see come election time :whistling:

OH & Ira likes sheep :p

Kelley should lay out an executive order. 1) Keep the Sioux name for the Men's hockey team only, so UND will keep it's word to Spirit Lake and Ralph. 2) Drop the name and go with North Dakota for all other sports to respect the opposition. Essentially, UND is already there and let the chips fall where they fall. The Big Sky would be OK with it, and the hand the feeds all UND athletics men's hockey would be safe.

As for the NCAA, whatever.

UND has not made any promise to Ralph it didn't keep. Big Sky doesn't care about the name it cares about the sanctions UND faces so it would not be OK with that plan. The Ralph was set up for UND athletics for the future and does not depend on UND keeping the name. That would be safe. The rest of what makes UND athletics is not safe until we either get the name approved by the NCAA and the sanctions are lifted or we drop the name.

If you can absorb what you read it is all true - & logical to how there is still hope - your option means you gave up - are to afraid of things that may never happen - work for Kelly UND Payroll - Hate the Sioux Name or Sioux people - I could go on

Lets agree we disagree - But keep your broken record fears in a post of your own this one is Why We All Should See This Threw

IF Not It Would Have Been Over - Because of the Push by Kelly to make it so - A lot of people seem to agree & we will see come election time :whistling:

My reading comprehension is pretty good. Your writing, not so much. And we don't hate the Sioux name or Sioux people just because we realize that it's time to change the name. And I can guarantee that not all of us work for UND, probably very few work for UND. No one can know for sure what will happen in the future, but I'm pretty sure that you're hope for the future would turn out very badly for UND.

If you want to have some place to push your nickname-at-all-cost agenda without being challenged, this isn't it. As a matter, people are going to keep pushing until the end to see that the right thing is done for UND and the future. Go visit your favorite political blog, they seem to be doing everything they can to push your agenda forward, including printing blatant lies about the situation.

I don't understand. What throw did you see?

• Upvote 1

UND has not made any promise to Ralph it didn't keep. Big Sky doesn't care about the name it cares about the sanctions UND faces so it would not be OK with that plan. The Ralph was set up for UND athletics for the future and does not depend on UND keeping the name. That would be safe. The rest of what makes UND athletics is not safe until we either get the name approved by the NCAA and the sanctions are lifted or we drop the name.

Just saying, that it is a likely solution that will work. With 2 sides dug in deep, the all or none (either way) is not going to work.

Just saying, that it is a likely solution that will work. With 2 sides dug in deep, the all or none (either way) is not going to work.

If UND uses the name at all, for any sport, the whole school will be on NCAA sanctions. They won't let UND pick and choose for just 1 sport. And as long as UND is on sanctions with the NCAA, the Big Sky Conference is going to have problems with UND. There isn't a middle ground any more. It is all or nothing. The NCAA and the settlement agreement will see to that. The only thing that the NCAA may consider compromising on is how quickly the Ralph removes logos, and that isn't a sure thing since they haven't shown up yet to tour the building (as far as I've heard).

I respect your opinion, so I'm not picking on you. I do business all over the globe and as a GF native, I've sent many corporations to recruit at UND for grads. There is always room for compromise. UND's current management needs to find a way.

I respect your opinion, so I'm not picking on you. I do business all over the globe and as a GF native, I've sent many corporations to recruit at UND for grads. There is always room for compromise. UND's current management needs to find a way.

The NCAA told the North Dakota delegation last August that they wouldn't consider any of the various options that North Dakota presented. And the NCAA has refused to compromise their ban on post-season in either South Carolina or Mississippi. UND would have to have something to offer in a negotiation. The NCAA has the settlement agreement, UND has nothing that the NCAA wants. If you have any ideas, I'm sure that people would love to hear them.