SiouxSports.com Forum

Kelley / SBoHE Deceived the Legislature and ND People

star2city

What is the over / under on how many days Kelley has left?

How many member of the SBoHE will be forced to resign in disgrace?

http://sayanythingbl...concerns-bogus/

If I was Kelley I'd resign on my own and go tell the hockey only loving crowd to go !@#$ themselves. Than you could apply for the job Star since you seem to have the whole conference thing figured out and could get the rest of the sports into a conference while being in good standing with the NCAA.

• Upvote 1

If I was Kelley I'd resign on my own and go tell the hockey only loving crowd to go !@#$ themselves. Than you could apply for the job Star since you seem to have the whole conference thing figured out and could get the rest of the sports into a conference while being in good standing with the NCAA.

At least I wouldn't lie to you. ;) When did deceipt become a trait you admired, Homer?

Guess as long as morals and laws and constitutional principles don't apply, you are okie dokie about everything as long as the NCAA is happy. And people wonder how they lose their freedoms in other countries.

• Upvote 1

Sure they could, If they were so inclined, they could use Article III Section 6 as cover. Not even much of a stretch for the type of folks that would be doing the voting.

Portland State, Eastern Washington, Idaho State, Montana State, Sacramento State, and Northern Arizona have all had recent NCAA post-season bans or major scholarship reductions due to NCAA violations and somehow the Big Sky didn't expell them. The Big Sky has set some amazing legal precedents on this and I'm sure their lawyers would strongly advise against any outrageous action, otherwise Spirit Lake may end up owning them.

• Upvote 1

Portland State, Eastern Washington, Idaho State, Montana State, Sacramento State, and Northern Arizona have all had recent NCAA post-season bans or major scholarship reductions due to NCAA violations and somehow the Big Sky didn't expell them. The Big Sky has set some amazing legal precedents on this and I'm sure their lawyers would strongly advise against any outrageous action, otherwise Spirit Lake may end up owning them.

There is a significant difference between "can not" and "probably will not" or "should not."

At least I wouldn't lie to you. ;) When did deceipt become a trait you admired, Homer?

Guess as long as morals and laws and constitutional principles don't apply, you are okie dokie about everything as long as the NCAA is happy. And people wonder how they lose their freedoms in other countries.

I just think Kelly has more patience than I would have for this. We've changed from not retiring the nickname, to retiring the name, to not retiring it, to now transitioning to retiring it. Things that were said when we were in the retirement stage shouldn't be held against someone when we've flip flopped two or three times now. I don't think Kelley has ever really hid his thoughts on the subject even though he hasn't come out and voiced them publically. As far as the NCAA and Big Sky are concerned I guess I'm in the crowd that believes if its their club, they can do what they want. UND still has the option of keeping their nickname, its called the NAIA.

The Big Sky has set some amazing legal precedents on this and I'm sure their lawyers would strongly advise against any outrageous action, otherwise Spirit Lake may end up owning them.

"[A]mazing legal precedents" ... really? As far as I know, SL hasn't sued the BSC or UND, so enforcing any sort of judgment may be difficult. Nor is the BSC a court so as to issue a "legal precedent", amazing or abysmal. SL's fight with the NC$$ is iffy enough, so don't muckrake anything else on to their plate.

It's already in the works, Goon. Chuck Haga is working on it as we speak. Stay tuned. Unless you don't include the Herald in the MSM.

He, He, He... I take the fifth on the one. Actually, Chuck has done a pretty good job on the Nickname story...

• Upvote 1

Kelley is either (a) incompetent, or (b) purposedly misleading alumni, people of ND, and the legislators.

(a) is a given and always has been IMO and (b) might be hard to prove, but have know doubt it occurred to some extent.

In reading this article a few times I think this is the crux of the argument.

“When the University of North Dakota was considered and accepted for membership (on Nov. 1, 2010), this issue was (considered) ‘settled,’ “Fullerton wrote in June. “The institution had reached an agreement with the NCAA and the conference accepted that agreement.

“Obviously, today there is a new reality, and the question has to be asked: Could this lead to a time when league play and possibly league membership itself could be affected?”

In a telephone interview with the Herald, Fullerton said the presidents “were very intense” in discussing UND’s nickname issue with Kelley on June 1 and 2 at the Big Sky Conference spring meetings in Park City, Utah.

Edited by Goon

Goon, it's a desperate article by both nickname supporters and a blog who's source of income is hits on its website. In a time where nickname supporters are trying to gather signitures for their petition its a perfect article to get signitures from those with no vested interest in the university.

I mean I love the Fighting Sioux nickname, and there is no way that the school will ever be able to replace the Fighting Sioux nickname with anything that I consider to be acceptable, but I don't see any way UND can keep the name "unless" the Spirit Lake Tribe wins it's law suit against the NCAA. I also would love nothing more than to see the NCAA lose their law suit, I think they deserved to have that happen to them because I think they are a bunch of hypocrites. I am not holding my breath but I hope the Tribe wins.

I like most people are not going to a football game between the University of Sioux Falls and UND. I will go to a game between a Big Sky Conference or Missouri Valley Conference team and UND.

Edited by Goon

Look at what happened to Ohio State, basically nothing. One year of no bowl games. Big deal they will be back next year. To me that is a hell of a lot more serious then a nickname. But the NCAA wants to show they have some power so they are trying to push around a small school in North Dakota. That is what this is all about, they want more power. If it was actually about nicknames, then FSU and Utah would be in the same boat as UND. It is power and money, and some schools have more power.

r

OSU would get sanctioned, then it would be over. You would face a continuous saction, doesnt sound like much fun to me.

http://sayanythingbl...x-logonickname/

More old news from Say Anything. This is a month old.

But it has "Arrogant" in the title so....................

It was a request to the media not a demand or edict as Say Anything is distorting.

Here is the actual e-mail that was sent out:

Greetings!

As you know, the University of North Dakota is in the process of transitioning away from the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo. Through this email I am formally asking that you, in your news coverage, helping us with this transition by restricting your use of the nickname and logo to those stories that are about the transition process and/or the nickname issue. In other words, if you are covering some other aspect of the University – even if it is related to athletics, such as the success of our student athletes, the success of a particular team, etc. – I ask that you use “University of North Dakota” or “North Dakota” and use the UND flame logo or the interlocking ND logo with those stories.

Thank you for your help with this transition process. I greatly appreciate it.

My best for a great 2012,

Peter B. Johnson

Executive Associate Vice President for University Relations

Media Relations Coordinator

Office of University Relations

264 Centennial Drive Stop 7144

Grand Forks, ND 58202-7144

701.777.4317 | 701.777.4616 fax

Peter.johnson@email.und.edu

UND.edu

North Dakota Spirit | The Campaign for UND

Raising $300 million. | Share your Spirit @ www.spirit.und.edu