SiouxSports.com Forum

Kelley / SBoHE Deceived the Legislature and ND People

star2city

Sounds like "Say Anything" is acting as Clueless Al's mouth piece. Trying again to use the Sioux nickname as a pawn for a political end-around. Perhaps Kelley, the NC$$, the BSC, the Board, the Alumni Association, etc. are just all involved in some grand conspiracy, in violation of "God's will" ...

Dude,

Are u serious? U suggest that to consider Kelly and the SBofHE as working to illiminate the Sioux name as a conjured conspiracy theory yet u dart !@#$ out of your keyboard all day long that one of the Sioux name defenders is only doing so for political position and in fact does not really care about the issue?

Your one of those people that truely believe that saying something makes it true.

• Upvote 1

Do you really think that Rep. "Clueless Al" Carlson (NDSU-Fargo), a self-professed Bison booster, gives a rip about the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo or the University of North Dakota as a whole? He did what he did to diminish the power of the Higher Ed system; which he has never been a big fan of. He has zero incentive to stand up for the general welfare of the University of North Dakota and is not doing so here. He is a false prophet and will lead us into an athletics blackhole from which there will be no escape. But I suppose you (and others like you) will consider that "a small price to pay". :silly:

If you ask me, you are the one that thinks saying things will make them true. The choice right now is stark and clear; Big Sky Membership and a vibrant Division I athletic department or NAIA obscurity. I know which one I would choose.

You realize Al is one man and can't pass laws. It has the support of the legislation and the governor signed it! The continued rip on Al for simply bringing the idea up is old. Everyone that voted for it is just as much to blame including the governor.

• Upvote 1

You realize Al is one man and can't pass laws. It has the support of the legislation and the governor signed it! The continued rip on Al for simply bringing the idea up is old. Everyone that voted for it is just as much to blame including the governor.

You are right, "Clueless Al" is only one man. But he is also the ND House Majority Leader and has a lot of power and influence; this wasn't some freshman Legislator trying to make some noise and a name for himself. Simply put, if "Clueless Al" hadn't pushed this idiotic idea in the first place, we wouldn't have to deal with all this garbage that we are dealing with right now. :angry:

As for others deserving blame, I agree with you. But most of the House and Senate (and the governor) wised up after it was clear the law wouldn't change the NCAA's mind; "Clueless Al" still wouldn't let it go. He kept using his power and influence to push the Legislature to uphold the law in the special session. He even introduced that stupid amendment that would have required us to keep the name and logo until all legal action had been exhausted on the issue. Thank God the rest of the committee was smarter than that.

• Upvote 1

You are right, "Clueless Al" is only one man. But he is also the ND House Majority Leader and has a lot of power and influence; this wasn't some freshman Legislator trying to make some noise and a name for himself. Simply put, if "Clueless Al" hadn't pushed this idiotic idea in the first place, we wouldn't have to deal with all this garbage that we are dealing with right now. :angry:

As for others deserving blame, I agree with you. But most of the House and Senate (and the governor) wised up after it was clear the law wouldn't change the NCAA's mind; "Clueless Al" still wouldn't let it go. He kept using his power and influence to push the Legislature to uphold the law in the special session. He even introduced that stupid amendment that would have required us to keep the name and logo until all legal action had been exhausted on the issue. Thank God the rest of the committee was smarter than that.

Strange how no one talks about Mac Schneider, who wants to make a name for himself more than anyone. He's drumming up as much support among the democrats and PC'ers as humanly possible by going against the nickname - just so he can run for federal office.

http://sayanythingbl...ky-hole-deeper/

Kelley and Faison protected themselves from perjury charges by not entering their November testimony into the record, but all of their minions - like Rick Bergum, Allen Olson, Jimmy and Sherri Kleinsasser, and many of the past Alumni Presidents did have their testimony entered into the record. Wonder how pissed those people will be when they realize Faison and Kelley lied to them.

It is also reasonable to assume a level of coordination between UND, the State Board, and these stakeholders occurred prior to the November 7, 2011 Joint Hearing to ensure testimony was received from them, and all talking points were covered. This was yet another opportunity to ensure correct facts were presented to the legislature relating to UND’s true membership status, and this opportunity was missed.

For UND to have been expelled from the Big Sky conference, it would have taken a unanimous vote. Having seen the open records requests, I can state categorically that expulsion would never happen.

The media did an absolutely horrendous reporting job on this. They never even knew UND was already a fully approved Big Sky member, they didn't know a vote to expel would have to be unanimous, and they have absolutely no idea what president if any would even vote to expel. Until they know these basic facts, the media simply isn't credible on this issue. The media simply accepted the garbage Faison, Kelley, the SBoHE, and Fullerton fed them and called it reporting. Shameful. Disgraceful.

• Upvote 1

Mac Schneider is fighting to retire the nickname because he knows that keeping it at all costs will forever ruin the athletic department at UND. In case you have forgotten; Schneider was the starting Center on the 2001 D-II National Championship Football team. I suppose the hockey-only crowd couldn't care less about that championship, but I and most of us on here will never forget it and are grateful to Mac for his contributions to that team. I think Mac knows what it meant to play three playoff games at home and what it meant to be in a strong conference like the NCC. Without those crucial elements, that trophy would not reside in Grand Forks, ND. To reduce Schneider, a proud member of UND's athletic alumni family, to the role of a "Democratic PCer" who just wants to run for Federal office is shameful and misleading. Shame on you, Mr. The-Big-Sky-is-only-bluffing. :angry: Thank God you are not in charge of UND's athletic department.

What ever you want to believe, Mac.

Kelley and Faison protected themselves from perjury charges by not entering their November testimony into the record, but all of their minions - like Rick Bergum, Allen Olson, Jimmy and Sherri Kleinsasser, and many of the past Alumni Presidents did have their testimony entered into the record. Wonder how pissed those people will be when they realize Faison and Kelley lied to them.

For UND to have been expelled from the Big Sky conference, it would have taken a unanimous vote. Having seen the open records requests, I can state categorically that expulsion would never happen.

The media did an absolutely horrendous reporting job on this. They never even knew UND was already a fully approved Big Sky member, they didn't know a vote to expel would have to be unanimous, and they have absolutely no idea what president if any would even vote to expel. Until they know these basic facts, the media simply isn't credible on this issue. The media simply accepted the garbage Faison, Kelley, the SBoHE, and Fullerton fed them and called it reporting. Shameful. Disgraceful.

Screw Rob Port and his piece of crap political dirt sheet blog! :angry: I am sick and tired of that demagogue running around talking like he has microphones planted in all these meetings so he can give "the folks" in North Dakota "the rest of the story". :silly: Everyone should take the garbage he prints with a big, fat grain of salt. I hope Port crosses the wrong people and gets sued over it. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy. And shame on YOU, Star, for getting your "news" from this Matt Drudge wanna-be.

• Upvote 3

So... Can you post these open records you talking about.

• Upvote 2

If you actually believe that saving the name will destroy UND athletics, then the anti-nickname zealots have succeeded. You and others have fallen for their chicken little conspiracy theory, and have won you over to their side of the argument. I'm sorry that you and some others here are so gullible, but at the same time I am very grateful that the likes of Archie Fool Bear and Frank Black Cloud know better. They are continuing to fight for what is right, and I aplaud them for that.

First of all, it isn't their theory, its our theory. The anti-nickname crowd doesn't care about our athletic program at all, they just want to use the name and logo to look important and to achieve political power and influence. Second of all, it isn't a "theory", it is a cold hard fact that the athletic department cannot survive without a conference home. And the Big Sky Conference has made it clear over and over and over again that if the name stays and sanctions are imposed, they are not interested in having us in their league. They made their offer to us when we had declared our intentions of settling the nickname issue by retiring the name and logo. But thanks to "Clueless Al" Carlson, that resolution is in doubt.

If anything DaveK, YOU are the one that is gullible in thinking that the nickname-at-all-costs crowd has all the answers when in fact they are basing their positions on pure wishful-thinking and moral indignation. I am not happy about the name and logo being retired, but I also realize that we live in the real world and we must learn to function in it if we want to accomplish anything of significance for the present and the future. The choices couldn't be more clear on this matter; I am sorry that you and some others can't see that.

• Upvote 3

Big Sky Conference Constitution 2009-2010 (couldn't find 2011-2012)

Article V Membership

Section 2 Membership

A. Member institutions shall be Division I members of the NCAA and be classified as Football Championship Subdivision in football.

B. Member institutions shall meet the NCAA Division I membership criteria as set forth in NCAA Bylaws.

C. Member institutions may participate as members of another Conference only in those sports not recognized or sponsored by the Conference.

The NCAA currently considers the University of North Dakota a Division II institution that is transitioning to Division I and playing Division I FCS football (see http://web1.ncaa.org...divisionListing). UND can not be considered a Division I member until July 1, 2012 at the earliest, and only if they get final approval from the NCAA. According to the definition above, UND is not a full fledged member of the Big Sky Conference at this time, and will not be a full fledged member until July 1, 2012 at the earliest.

This is ABSOLUTELY correct. I'm a bit annoyed that I didn't post this.

• Upvote 1

Just like we're supposed to accept this garbage from you, "Rob".

Whatever suits your agenda.

• Upvote 4

If you actually believe that saving the name will destroy UND athletics, then the anti-nickname zealots have succeeded. You and others have fallen for their chicken little conspiracy theory, and have won you over to their side of the argument. I'm sorry that you and some others here are so gullible, but at the same time I am very grateful that the likes of Archie Fool Bear and Frank Black Cloud know better. They are continuing to fight for what is right, and I aplaud them for that.

Why do you care now? UND has basically dropped the name from any official status, and I doubt it will ever return. Don't you have other team names to cheer for? I've heard Moorhead High has a "cool" name

• Upvote 3

Big Sky Conference Constitution 2009-2010 (couldn't find 2011-2012)

Article V Membership

Section 2 Membership

A. Member institutions shall be Division I members of the NCAA and be classified as Football Championship Subdivision in football.

B. Member institutions shall meet the NCAA Division I membership criteria as set forth in NCAA Bylaws.

C. Member institutions may participate as members of another Conference only in those sports not recognized or sponsored by the Conference.

With special exceptions? Sounds like there is already one hole in that "constitution."

If there was, by the slightest chance, UND might readopt the Sioux name, It would be after the summer anyways. After UND is in the Big Sky.