SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Conference Tournament

GFG

lol *Thumbs up*

Actually, I love the area around the Xcel Energy Center, It could have more places to eat and drink before the game. If my memory serves me right the ice wasn't very good at the Target center, however, the amenities were good.

Edited by Goon

I was at the Minnesota/Wisconsin game in the Target center a few years ago. Its not my favorite place to watch a hockey game- there is just something off about the atmosphere. Maybe I'm just spoiled from games at REA and the X. In comparision I'm also not the hugest fan of Mariucci either- I personally feel the game day/production atomosphere has always felt a little on the amatuer side and more like being at a traveling club team arena than what I've come to expect at REA and the X.

I kind of like the idea of rotating locations. Gives people another chance to see other schools' arenas. Though this may not be what brings in the most $ so it may not be the most realistic of options.

I was at the Minnesota/Wisconsin game in the Target center a few years ago. Its not my favorite place to watch a hockey game- there is just something off about the atmosphere. Maybe I'm just spoiled from games at REA and the X. In comparision I'm also not the hugest fan of Mariucci either- I personally feel the game day/production atomosphere has always felt a little on the amatuer side and more like being at a traveling club team arena than what I've come to expect at REA and the X.

I kind of like the idea of rotating locations. Gives people another chance to see other schools' arenas. Though this may not be what brings in the most $ so it may not be the most realistic of options.

For one, the Target Center is no where near as nice as the Xcel Energy Center. Also, if you read anything that Joe Paisley has said in the past, on one of his Chats that they had at the Gazette before he was laid off, Joe said that the NCHC is trying to get their conference tourney in the Xcel. So, It makes sense that Target Center would want get into the mix.

Is this in reference to the Pepsi Center or DU's arena? Comparing excitement and travel for the conference tournament to the 2008 Frozen Four is risky in my opinion (although Sioux fans have been owning the final five of late).

Referencing DU and Colorado College; I was not at the Pepsi Center when the Frozen 4 was here. I am certain that there is a very healthy UND Hockey following down here as last year half of the World Arena in CC were Sioux fans. At first impression I was a bit amazed.

For one, the Target Center is no where near as nice as the Xcel Energy Center. Also, if you read anything that Joe Paisley has said in the past, on one of his Chats that they had at the Gazette before he was laid off, Joe said that the NCHC is trying to get their conference tourney in the Xcel. So, It makes sense that Target Center would want get into the mix.

does the wcha have a contract with the excel for the final five....if so when does that end.....or is it year to year??

does the wcha have a contract with the excel for the final five....if so when does that end.....or is it year to year??

Isn't that coming up for renewal again? It doesn't really matter, I don't believe, they could have it on different weekends. Actually, I think the NCHC would be a more attractive option for the XCEL if both league were vying for the same weekend as well.

Edited by Goon

Isn't that coming up for renewal again? It doesn't really matter, I don't believe, they could have it on different weekends. Actually, I think the NCHC would be a more attractive option for the XCEL if both league were vying for the same weekend as well.

i agree that the NCHC is a more attractive option for the XCEL...is the wcha still even interested in holding it at the X ....

i agree that the NCHC is a more attractive option for the XCEL...is the wcha still even interested in holding it at the X ....

I am not sure how they could fill it? There aren't a lot of teams that historically draw big crowds.

I wondered from the beginning if part of the NCHC deal would be having the tournament in Colorado every 3 years being 2 of the original 6 teams are from there. Haven't heard or read anything to that effect, just seemed like something DU and CC would view as fair and push for.

What have you all heard about a site for the Big 10 hockey tourney? I would think Joe Louis Arena would still be the favorite. Xcel woulnt seem to make since due to the fact that it's on the western edge of Big 10 territory. Surprised the X isn't a sure thing. NCHC tourney would be far more lucrative than watered down WCHA version.

I wondered from the beginning if part of the NCHC deal would be having the tournament in Colorado every 3 years being 2 of the original 6 teams are from there. Haven't heard or read anything to that effect, just seemed like something DU and CC would view as fair and push for.

The only thing is, the conference tourney is where the league makes money, three of the teams, UND, UMD and SCSU can put more fans and sell more tickets than C.C. and DU will ever sell. Makes no sense to have it in Colorado. JMHO.

What have you all heard about a site for the Big 10 hockey tourney? I would think Joe Louis Arena would still be the favorite. Xcel woulnt seem to make since due to the fact that it's on the western edge of Big 10 territory. Surprised the X isn't a sure thing. NCHC tourney would be far more lucrative than watered down WCHA version.

That's kind of what I am thinking as well.

I wouldn't mind it at Target Center. I went to those games back in the early late 90s and it was fine. Granted it's not the X. But as someone else said their would be way more restaurants and bars especially since Twins park is there. Also more hotels.

Remember that the X's main tenant is the Wild. They already have to give up prime weekend games for multiple weekends in a row when it comes to state high school tournaments and then WCHA Final Five. If Final Five still there, then I don't see how there would be room in schedule to fit NCHC tourney.

If they want attendance money they keep it in the Cities. I do like the idea of it going to Colorado once every three years. At least it deserves a try. Denver is a very fun city to visit and skiing not to far away.

Could always do world junior tourney style and come back to Cities every other year. The off years rotate between Denver, Omaha, and possibly somewhere further east.

The only thing is, the conference tourney is where the league makes money, three of the teams, UND, UMD and SCSU can put more fans and sell more tickets than C.C. and DU will ever sell. Makes no sense to have it in Colorado. JMHO.

Don't get me wrong I'm not making a case for that setup, just wondering if DU and CC are pushing for it in any way.

Don't get me wrong I'm not making a case for that setup, just wondering if DU and CC are pushing for it in any way.

I don't know, there isn't a lot of information coming out right now, they have also suspended their news letter until after they pick a commish.

Wouldn't the WCHA and the NCHC tournaments be the same weekend? I assume there will be a first-round at home rinks, but the winners advance to the Final Four or Five or whatever. I can't see both being in Mpls/StPaul the same weekend.

If the X had to choose between the NCHC and WCHA tourneys, I would think they would go with the Sioux-per conference...

I would think so too, and I don't buy the idea that the B1G Mistake is going to get the Xcel over the NCHC.

I would think so too, and I don't buy the idea that the B1G Mistake is going to get the Xcel over the NCHC.

At this point, haven't heard alot about the B1G Mistake tourny, but i can't imagine the Xcel would be in the mix. Ohio State and Penn State attendance would be non-existant (though thats probably true where ever it's held).

I would guess the thing probably gets put in Detroit, which is about as "centerally" located as it can be.

Jeez i hate this whole thing, lets just rewind and leave the WCHA the way it is..............as Lou Nanne said the other day, all of these AD's need to stop worrying about only money, and start thinking about whats best for collage hockey as a whole.

Sounds like there won't be a neutral site post season for the Big Ten.

The Big Ten plans to utilize a two-week postseason format that begins with the four lowest seeds meeting in a best-of-three series at the home of the highest seed. The survivors advance to face the top two seeds at the home of the No. 1 seed.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/sports/college/article_2e80fedc-93aa-11e0-8884-001cc4c03286.html#ixzz1h5oPiOcE

There is no way that the WCHA holds the X. Just think about it. The only local teams would be Mankato and Bemidji and we all see how well they draw. I would guess that from the numbers last year alone the X would even buy out a contract if that is what would need to happen. Ralph South was awesome and UND alone proved that we draw. I would hope that they don't make the mistake of rotation circa milwaukee and st paul. My guess is central location in St Paul will be the winner and Red Baron will keep the naming rights. Now comes the name of the trophies. We are safe with the tourney trophy, but how about regular season??

Not that it matters since the Big Ten wont have a neutral site tourney, but what makes you convinced that the X would rather host a tourney consisting of UND, CC, DU, SCSU, etc compared to a tourney with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan State? Attendance obviously wouldn't be an issue with The Gophers there.

Not that it matters since the Big Ten wont have a neutral site tourney, but what makes you convinced that the X would rather host a tourney consisting of UND, CC, DU, SCSU, etc compared to a tourney with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan State? Attendance obviously wouldn't be an issue with The Gophers there.

Really! What if UMN and Wisconsin don't make the tourney? Looks like a lot of fans posing as empty seats.