SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Conference Tournament

GFG

Not that it matters since the Big Ten wont have a neutral site tourney, but what makes you convinced that the X would rather host a tourney consisting of UND, CC, DU, SCSU, etc compared to a tourney with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan State? Attendance obviously wouldn't be an issue with The Gophers there.

I didn't think the Gophers played in post season tournaments anymore!! :)

I didn't think the Gophers played in post season tournaments anymore!! :)

Good point. :) Although that streak should hopefully come to an end this year but a lot can happen before the end of the year. Just three years ago I think the Gophers went up to the Ralph in January ranked top 5 nationally, got smoked and didnt end up making the NCAA's so even though the team looks good now I'm not assuming anything.

Really! What if UMN and Wisconsin don't make the tourney? Looks like a lot of fans posing as empty seats.

All 6 teams make it so Minnesota would be guaranteed there! :p

I actually like the format the B1G is going to do. It will obviously be held primarily at Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan, but I like the idea of it being at the #1 seeds venue. Even though both Michigan schools arena's are dumps (ESPECIALLY States, at least Michigan's is being kept because of the history and tradition).

Something that no one is mentioning is the recruiting factor. If I am not mistaken, every team in the NCHC has at least a couple of kids from the Twin Cities area. Having the game in St. Paul will only give MORE exposure to the league in the heart of college recruiting territory. I am sure this is in the thought process of those in power.

Since McClod is no longer involved, anyway.

Something that no one is mentioning is the recruiting factor. If I am not mistaken, every team in the NCHC has at least a couple of kids from the Twin Cities area. Having the game in St. Paul will only give MORE exposure to the league in the heart of college recruiting territory. I am sure this is in the thought process of those in power.

Since McClod is no longer involved, anyway.

I think you would be right and it's going to be centrally located and highly accessible via air and or highway.

I actually feel the recruiting of Twin Cities kids for most NCHC teams will take a bit of a hit after the conference changes. All of the NCHC teams will be playing less within MN's borders and will certainly be playing less often in the Twin Cities than they do now. Families won't be able to see their kids play as often or as easily as they do now. The playoff venue may help a bit but even then only 4 teams make that.

Another aspect of the tournement will be television coverage. The conference needs to foster a good relationship with a network that is going to do the conference good. I can see FSN try to pick up the tourney, BUT what about regular season games. I would work a deal that would be the same coverage for regular and post season play. I would like to see some familiarity by the crew covering the games because they have seen the teams all season. Lets think outside the box and get a network that will help build our conference.

Another aspect of the tournement will be television coverage. The conference needs to foster a good relationship with a network that is going to do the conference good. I can see FSN try to pick up the tourney, BUT what about regular season games. I would work a deal that would be the same coverage for regular and post season play. I would like to see some familiarity by the crew covering the games because they have seen the teams all season. Lets think outside the box and get a network that will help build our conference.

I can actually easily see FSN picking up the conference tournament. But there's absolutely no chance of getting FSN for the regular season.

I actually feel the recruiting of Twin Cities kids for most NCHC teams will take a bit of a hit after the conference changes. All of the NCHC teams will be playing less within MN's borders and will certainly be playing less often in the Twin Cities than they do now. Families won't be able to see their kids play as often or as easily as they do now. The playoff venue may help a bit but even then only 4 teams make that.

I don't think the Sioux had problems recruiting in Minnesota before St. Cloud, Mankato St. and Bemidji State ever had Division 1 programs, so I don't imagine they would have a problem now. There is usually a lot of talent in Minnesota, so where would all of those players go? Sure, Wisconsin might pluck a few more, but I don't see the other teams I mentioned getting rich just because they can play a few more games nearer to home, as the prestige for a few of them playing in a different WCHA wouldn't hold much for some recruits.

I don't think the Sioux had problems recruiting in Minnesota before St. Cloud, Mankato St. and Bemidji State ever had Division 1 programs, so I don't imagine they would have a problem now. There is usually a lot of talent in Minnesota, so where would all of those players go? Sure, Wisconsin might pluck a few more, but I don't see the other teams I mentioned getting rich just because they can play a few more games nearer to home, as the prestige for a few of them playing in a different WCHA wouldn't hold much for some recruits.

Not to mention all the talent we get out of Manitoba and other parts of Canada.

I don't think it will have much of an effect on us other than I do think the competition from big schools for those players will increase. I was speaking more in terms of other NCHC teams that are further away. CC is a big example. They have done a lot of recruiting of MN kids over the years and a part of their attractiveness for MN kids and their families is they knew they'd still be playing roughly a third of their schedule in their homestate even if they went all the way out west. That will no longer be the case. The lack of a quality TV deal will also hurt in that same vein.

I actually expect the other Big Ten schools and Notre Dame to be more of a challenge for MN kids than we have seen in the past. Notre Dame's presence on TV, its national academic reputation, and a new arena are going to be attractive. I also hear they are negotiating with the Big Ten for regular non-conference games so that will help too. If you read that article in the St. Cloud paper on how SCSU got into our conference, it was clear from Bob Motzko's point of view that Notre Dame is very interested in becoming a greater hockey presence in Minnesota due to its recruiting opportunities.

I think the Big Ten hockey conference will create more of a MN presence for programs like Michigan State and Ohio State. They barely get any publicity in the Twin Cities market now but that certainly won't be the case in a few years. They will definitely try to capitalize on that.

I don't think it will have much of an effect on us other than I do think the competition from big schools for those players will increase. I was speaking more in terms of other NCHC teams that are further away. CC is a big example. They have done a lot of recruiting of MN kids over the years and a part of their attractiveness for MN kids and their families is they knew they'd still be playing roughly a third of their schedule in their homestate even if they went all the way out west. That will no longer be the case. The lack of a quality TV deal will also hurt in that same vein.

I actually expect the other Big Ten schools and Notre Dame to be more of a challenge for MN kids than we have seen in the past. Notre Dame's presence on TV, its national academic reputation, and a new arena are going to be attractive. I also hear they are negotiating with the Big Ten for regular non-conference games so that will help too. If you read that article in the St. Cloud paper on how SCSU got into our conference, it was clear from Bob Motzko's point of view that Notre Dame is very interested in becoming a greater hockey presence in Minnesota due to its recruiting opportunities.

I think the Big Ten hockey conference will create more of a MN presence for programs like Michigan State and Ohio State. They barely get any publicity in the Twin Cities market now but that certainly won't be the case in a few years. They will definitely try to capitalize on that.

That's a very good point. Teams like Denver, CC, etc. will probably find it harder to recruit in Minnesota after a couple years, while all the Big Ten schools will look more towards Minnesota. I know Michigan relies mostly on Michigan kids, but I wouldn't doubt them coming into Minnesota once the B1G conference is formed to find some recruits.

Don't see it changing much at all for most of the schools that already recruit out of Minnesota. There is already a lot of competition for the elite in Minnesota, and I think those schools are each going to get their fair share. Don't know if Michigan will recruit in Minnesota much or not. Have no doubt Michigan State will, but Michigan seems to want to be mostly Michigan recruits, much like Minnesota gets mostly Minnesota recruits. Don't know if Minnesota would go for recruits from Michigan unless we are talking big-time recruits, partly because of the ego factor, and vice versa. One thing that could really make things interesting because of proximity, is if Illinois and Iowa enter the mix for recruits from Minnesota, then I can see a few schools getting shortchanged and needing to find new recruiting grounds. If you look at UND's roster this year, you can see how the hockey landscape has changed over the years. How many different states do the Sioux have recruits from anyway?

Don't see it changing much at all for most of the schools that already recruit out of Minnesota. There is already a lot of competition for the elite in Minnesota, and I think those schools are each going to get their fair share. Don't know if Michigan will recruit in Minnesota much or not. Have no doubt Michigan State will, but Michigan seems to want to be mostly Michigan recruits, much like Minnesota gets mostly Minnesota recruits. Don't know if Minnesota would go for recruits from Michigan unless we are talking big-time recruits, partly because of the ego factor, and vice versa. One thing that could really make things interesting because of proximity, is if Illinois and Iowa enter the mix for recruits from Minnesota, then I can see a few schools getting shortchanged and needing to find new recruiting grounds. If you look at UND's roster this year, you can see how the hockey landscape has changed over the years. How many different states do the Sioux have recruits from anyway?

That's a good point too. There are players from all over the country now, and even Minnesota has started to change their recruiting habits to find some people from around the country. This year they have a freshman from Missouri and they have a recruit coming in from Florida as well soon. The state of Minnesota is definitely a hub, but the game has grown throughout the country and you can find players all over now.