SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Conference Tournament

GFG

These tweets just came from @LetsPlay_Hockey:

"The Target Center is interested in bidding on the NCHC's year-end tournament, beginning with the start of the 2013-14 inaugural season.

The venue search is being led by the Goldwater Group. The NCHC is expected to name their new commissioner by the new year."

What are peoples thoughts on this? I know that if my team were in the NCHC I wouldn't want to be at the Target Center for hockey. But if for some reason they cannot get the X, could this possibly be the next best place? Thoughts?

I figured Omaha would be a top choice, being somewhat centrally located between the Michigan and Colorado schools. I don't know a lot about their arena but I thought it was fairly large?

CenturyLink Center. Seats 16,680 for hockey.

But I think if it's going to be held at a school's home rink then it should rotate between schools.

CenturyLink Center. Seats 16,680 for hockey.

But I think if it's going to be held at a school's home rink then it should rotate between schools.

Thanks. As for rotating venues.... did holding the WCHA final 5 at the X really give UM less of a home ice advantage than holding it at Mariucci? I guess I'd be happy with a rotation between the X and Omaha, but I'd think tourneys in Denver and Michigan would see low attendance.

Thanks. As for rotating venues.... did holding the WCHA final 5 at the X really give UM less of a home ice advantage than holding it at Mariucci? I guess I'd be happy with a rotation between the X and Omaha, but I'd think tourneys in Denver and Michigan would see low attendance.

Twin Cities and Omaha would have to be the top 2 choices in my opinion. Denver wouldn't be too bad, at least it's somewhat of a destination city. That would probably be their last choice though.

if the nchc can get the X there would be no reason to rotate the tourney

I figured Omaha would be a top choice, being somewhat centrally located between the Michigan and Colorado schools. I don't know a lot about their arena but I thought it was fairly large?

If it's not at the X I also think Omaha would be a top choice. I've never been to Omaha for a hockey game but hopefully the outdoor game in 2013 happens so I can head down there from Fargo to see if hockey in Omaha would be as fun as I think it could be.

if the nchc can get the X there would be no reason to rotate the tourney

Good point, but the other schools may not like having the touney in Minneapolis every year because it gives an advantage to UND and UMD (and Jan Brady State University (SCSU) whenever they make the tourney).

I can totally understand other schools not being satisfied with the tourney in one location every year. On the other hand, the schools should be very happy with the attendance history here, and that may be an important factor as they start up a new league. Even without MN in the tournament, there's a chance of very good attendance. Whether last year repeats itself in the future, or not.

Not sure if there would be a reason to shop around to other locales if the X isn't available. Why wouldn't the Target Center be acceptable? If Mpls/St. Paul is a good location, it shouldn't matter if the event is at the X or at another venue, should it? I realize there will be the awful stink of NBA basketball in the Target Center, but certainly they could leave some hockey equipment out around the building to purge that....

From a personal standpoint, I very much hope it stays in Mpls/St. Paul. But that's totally a selfish opinion...

I like Denver but I am biased since I live here. I can say from experience that when the Sioux play down here it is safe to assume almost half of the building will be Sioux fans.

Is this in reference to the Pepsi Center or DU's arena? Comparing excitement and travel for the conference tournament to the 2008 Frozen Four is risky in my opinion (although Sioux fans have been owning the final five of late).

Good point, but the other schools may not like having the touney in Minneapolis every year because it gives an advantage to UND and UMD (and Jan Brady State University (SCSU) whenever they make the tourney).

i agree that some fans might not be happy with it at the excel every year.....the league will want the tourney at a site that makes the most money...i cant see any place that will have a bigger draw than the X....prime example of this is the minnesota rule...that was purely for money...and i think every ad in the wcha voted for it if i remember right!

I just did some mapping and it's actually a shorter drive from Miami (OH) to minneapolis than to omaha, never would've guessed it. And you're definitely right about $$ being the top factor. Now then, I just read the opening post in its entirety and saw that the Target Center is bidding to be the host. Holding it at the Target Center would initially worry me because of the fact the operations people aren't used to running a hockey game out of the place. Ice conditions could become a factor if the place isn't set up properly and that would really suck. Also could be some scheduling conflicts resulting in them not getting the ice set up as early as they should, which would result in poor conditions. I'm not sure if the designers of the Target Center had hockey in mind when they built the place, but I have little knowledge on the subject (other than what wikipedia has to offer :glare: )

i agree that some fans might not be happy with it at the excel every year.....the league will want the tourney at a site that makes the most money...i cant see any place that will have a bigger draw than the X....prime example of this is the minnesota rule...that was purely for money...and i think every ad in the wcha voted for it if i remember right!

I believe the Minnesota rule was put in place more for TV ratings than attendance figures.

I just did some mapping and it's actually a shorter drive from Miami (OH) to minneapolis than to omaha, never would've guessed it. And you're definitely right about $$ being the top factor. Now then, I just read the opening post in its entirety and saw that the Target Center is bidding to be the host. Holding it at the Target Center would initially worry me because of the fact the operations people aren't used to running a hockey game out of the place. Ice conditions could become a factor if the place isn't set up properly and that would really suck. Also could be some scheduling conflicts resulting in them not getting the ice set up as early as they should, which would result in poor conditions. I'm not sure if the designers of the Target Center had hockey in mind when they built the place, but I have little knowledge on the subject (other than what wikipedia has to offer :glare: )

As far as I know (which, admittedly, is very little regarding the Target Center) the only hockey they've ever hosted is the Minnesota State High School tournament in 1999 and 2000. Beginning in 2001 when the X opened, the tournmanet moved there.

You do know that the WCHA tourney was held at the Target Center for the years between when the Civic Center was torn down and the X built. I didn't mind it there. It is better at the X, but the Target Center was fine too.

To refresh everyone's Final Five memory...

In 1999 UND was runner up to DU at Target Center. In 2000, UND beat Wisco at Target Center. We've played pretty well there in the past. These were my first two Final Fives, and despite the building I still got hooked on the darn tourney...haven't missed one since! I (mostly) seem to remember not having a problem finding a good time in downtown Minneapolis.

To refresh everyone's Final Five memory...

In 1999 UND was runner up to DU at Target Center. In 2000, UND beat Wisco at Target Center. We've played pretty well there in the past. These were my first two Final Fives, and despite the building I still got hooked on the darn tourney...haven't missed one since! I (mostly) seem to remember not having a problem finding a good time in downtown Minneapolis.

Also they have better bars and restaurants around the Target Center than the Xcel Energy Center.

• Upvote 1

As far as I know (which, admittedly, is very little regarding the Target Center) the only hockey they've ever hosted is the Minnesota State High School tournament in 1999 and 2000. Beginning in 2001 when the X opened, the tournmanet moved there.

Minnesota played Wisconsin in the Target Center 2 years ago. It wasn't the best hockey building or atmosphere, but there's definitely worse.