SiouxSports.com Forum

Kelley Explains Fighting Sioux Transition

Rick

Kelley said the transition “will not include any ban on wearing Fighting Sioux clothing at athletic events,” but he asked that fans who do wear or display the nickname and logo to “do so in a manner that is respectful to American Indians.”

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/223266/

I wonder if he's talking about the same "manner of respect" that he has shown to the Spirit Lake and Standing Rock tribes?

• Upvote 1

I think Kelley signed on to a thankless task. I won't bag on him for trying to do what's best for the school over the long-term. Even Tom Clifford would have probably had difficulty protecting the school with the same facts. The nickname went on life-support as soon as the ink hit the settlement with the NC$$.

• Upvote 3

If only he had fought for the name like Kupchella did towards the end of his time here.

Fight with what? The name was effectively dying when he took office. He signed on to do what's best for the school, not fight a futile battle with the NC$$ as UND was moving to D1. We saw some of the potential issues that arose after Clueless Al joined the fray.

• Upvote 3

Fight with what? The name was effectively dying when he took office. He signed on to do what's best for the school, not fight a futile battle with the NC$$ as UND was moving to D1. We saw some of the potential issues that arose after Clueless Al joined the fray.

If he had given the ILLUSION of a fight, it would have helped. Also, his press conferences and press releases haven't done much to help how people perceive him in the community.

• Upvote 1

It doesn't matter if it would have been a losing battle. The fact of the matter is that he didn't support the school he made the school support him. He threw all of the supporters of the name under the bus for the sake of being politically correct. He has never said anything positive about the name but instead let the name supporters get bashed by a vocal minority. The perception is that he forced the name out more than he ever supported the name. Perception is reality, and Kelly will forever be known as the president that let the name die, justified or not.

Reality? More like "reality distortion field" from some quarters. The settlement was signed before Kelley set foot on campus. Therefore, the name was dying off, unless SR and SL agreed to save it.

SL shows up after the fight is over and launches into some half-assed claim about "discrimination". Clueless Al for his own political gain turns the issue into a political football which could have had a dramatic, negative impact on the school. Then we hear from the Clueless Choir on this board who think the name is larger than the school and openly talked about going NAIA, staying at D2, staying in the GW, passing an initiative, thought the issue was "political", mused about suing the NC$$ (again) etc., all so they could continue to wear their stained, worn out Sioux gear and not give a damn about what happened to the school. As I said, I doubt Tom Clifford could have done much more than Kelley with the same facts, save express his own personal pride in the name, but the result would probably be the same.

• Upvote 4

Kelley said the transition “will not include any ban on wearing Fighting Sioux clothing at athletic events,” but he asked that fans who do wear or display the nickname and logo to “do so in a manner that is respectful to American Indians.”

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/223266/

I wonder if he's talking about the same "manner of respect" that he has shown to the Spirit Lake and Standing Rock tribes?

I don't see how they could ban wearing Sioux items at events. That would seem to me to have serious free speech and free expression issues. While I do think for the good of the entire state this issue needs to be put to rest, stopping people from wearing these items to a University event makes my liberal blood boil.

Maybe this is intended for that certain school in Fargo. They love to express how they feel about UND on their shirts.

Kelley said the Alerus has agreed to remove Fighting Sioux logos there.

Besides the Sioux in the endzones has there ever been a Sioux "logo" in the Alerus? I don't think I have ever seen one.

Maybe this is intended for that certain school in Fargo. They love to express how they feel about UND on their shirts.

If those are the shirts I am thinking of, I have no use for them either. I don't think you should be able to ban them, but fans wearing them are pretty damn classless given all the issues with the nickname and the issue of disrespectful use of the name. I must admit I had one of those shirts in undergrad school many years ago......but those were different times. Now it is relegated to a box of old college stuff (as well as being way to small for the current version of WYOBISONMAN to wear.... :sad: ).

If those are the shirts I am thinking of, I have no use for them either. I don't think you should be able to ban them, but fans wearing them are pretty damn classless given all the issues with the nickname and the issue of disrespectful use of the name. I must admit I had one of those shirts in undergrad school many years ago......but those were different times. Now it is relegated to a box of old college stuff (as well as being way to small for the current version of WYOBISONMAN to wear.... :sad: ).

I had no problem with people saying Sioux Suck except 1. people start thinking they must mean the people not the team (although as stupid as it sounds), 2. NDSU fans would chant that at a NDSU vs XXXX game makes no sense. Makes you wonder at the NDSU-UND basketball game. UND will not be the Sioux (Dec 31st), what are those fans going to chant? Dakota sucks? UND sucks, Nodaks suck? Just not the same.

In the FAQ posted on the nickname web site, Kelley said the transition “will not include any ban on wearing Fighting Sioux clothing at athletic events,” but he asked that fans who do wear or display the nickname and logo to “do so in a manner that is respectful to American Indians.”

The university expects, he added, “that fans will want to support our student athletes by wearing official team apparel.”

They really expect that ? Not now, not next year, not for a long, long. long time, maybe never.

They are shoveling dirt on the nickname coffin and he is already talking about expecting people to switch to the new "official team apparel".

Show some respect for the Fighting Sioux nickname and don't even comment on what people will wear to games.

• Upvote 4

I'm troubled that the Athletic Department is hunting down Fighting Sioux-related websites/social network sites, such as Facebook, and threatening trade mark infringement. Shows the true intent of this administration; lack of departmental oversight.

Kelley should be bagged on for his lack of candor, lack of leadership and lack of respect for the nickname and logo. He has talked and still does talk out of both sides of his mouth. So, we're supposed to be retiring the nickname and logo with "dignity and respect" but buffoon Peter Johnson uses imagery such as "scrubbing" and "hunting down." I don't buy this pixelated contradiction. This crew has not shown leadership at all.

You could have stopped with this and I still would have given you a "+1". Kelly has been nothing short of embarrassing since he arrived at UND IMO.

I had no problem with people saying Sioux Suck except 1. people start thinking they must mean the people not the team (although as stupid as it sounds), 2. NDSU fans would chant that at a NDSU vs XXXX game makes no sense. Makes you wonder at the NDSU-UND basketball game. UND will not be the Sioux (Dec 31st), what are those fans going to chant? Dakota sucks? UND sucks, Nodaks suck? Just not the same.

Like the "Eff the Gophers" chants that regularly resonate from the student section during Fighting Sioux games not involving the Gophers at the REA? I guess I look at it as a rivalry situation. No biggie.

Kelley should be bagged on for his lack of candor, lack of leadership and lack of respect for the nickname and logo. He has talked and still does talk out of both sides of his mouth. So, we're supposed to be retiring the nickname and logo with "dignity and respect" but buffoon Peter Johnson uses imagery such as "scrubbing" and "hunting down." I don't buy this pixelated contradiction. This crew has not shown leadership at all. I am sure that when UND joined the Big Sky a contract or some other document memorializing things was duly drafted, reviewed and signed. I would be surprised if that is not how such things are routinely done. I am sure that had the Big Sky booted UND, there would likely have been a damages clause that would have been employed. This is likely why the Commissioner only gave opaque and obscure treatment of the matter from which innuendo only could be drawn. I am pretty sure that was intentional and I am pretty sure that this is why. At this point, Kelley, Faison, Shaft, et al have achieved the point of no return. Retirement of the nickname is tantamount to career preservation, pure and simple.

Conferences and schools always sign legal agreement prior to a conference announcement, to protect all the parties. Entrance and exit fees don't apply without these contracts.

Guess Kelley and the SBoHE assumed UND alumni and fans are too big of rubes to realize that. The Big Sky would have subjected itself to major financial losses if the Big Sky kicked UND for reasons not in the contract.

As an example of what occurs before a school joins a conference:

Tuesday's Newark Star-Ledger: Big East finalizing legal paperwork prior to admitting five schools

http://www.nj.com/ru...e_of_addin.html

Rutgers, Louisville, South Florida, Cincinnati and Connecticut — met tonight in New York City to review the remaining expansion details.

One official characterized the process as being “very close,” with the other saying that legal paperwork is the only remaining obstacle.

• Upvote 1

It doesn't matter if it would have been a losing battle. The fact of the matter is that he didn't support the school he made the school support him. He threw all of the supporters of the name under the bus for the sake of being politically correct. He has never said anything positive about the name but instead let the name supporters get bashed by a vocal minority. The perception is that he forced the name out more than he ever supported the name. Perception is reality, and Kelly will forever be known as the president that let the name die, justified or not.

The worst part is that outside of the nickname controversy I think Kelly has been very good for the school. The problem is that there was so many ways he could have handled the controversy and he picked one of the worst ways to handle it by not doing anything and people will never forget it.

Agreed.

UND will not be the Sioux (Dec 31st), what are those fans going to chant? Dakota sucks? UND sucks, Nodaks suck? Just not the same.

If UND no longer has a moniker, if NDSU fans use that term they must be referring to people from SL and SR.

Personally I hope NDSU fans chant their favorite chant. Then I'll be contacting the NCAA and demanding that they enforce their nice little blurb read before games about " ... racist taunts ... not being acceptable ... and ground for removal ..."

Heck, maybe I should give the NCAA a little heads-up now considering there's an NCAA playoff game (not involving UND even) where it'll probably be heard this weekend. Wouldn't that be a hoot. :D