SiouxSports.com Forum

Kelley Explains Fighting Sioux Transition

Rick

I get the satire about this issue, but really, if you can't say the other team sucks then we are really in deep.

Ah yes, but what if the other team (Sioux) is no longer the other team? Then when you use the term Sioux you aren't referring to the other team, so you must be referring to the other meaning, namely SL and SR. And that's precisely what the NCAA does not want.

If UND no longer has a moniker, if NDSU fans use that term they must be referring to people from SL and SR.

Personally I hope NDSU fans chant their favorite chant. Then I'll be contacting the NCAA and demanding that they enforce their nice little blurb read before games about " ... racist taunts ... not being acceptable ... and ground for removal ..."

Heck, maybe I should give the NCAA a little heads-up now considering there's an NCAA playoff game (not involving UND even) where it'll probably be heard this weekend. Wouldn't that be a hoot. :D

Catch them (NCAA) at the REA since they are supposed to do a walk through to review what logos can stay and what has to go. I never heard what date that is to happen.

Like the "Eff the Gophers" chants that regularly resonate from the student section during Fighting Sioux games not involving the Gophers at the REA? I guess I look at it as a rivalry situation. No biggie.

We are one of the Gophers' rival..but we are NOT NDSU's rival. Remember their rivals are UNI, SDSU, and Minnesota. Refer to Bisonville and Lakesbison for updated teams on this list. :lol:

Ah yes, but what if the other team (Sioux) is no longer the other team? Then when you use the term Sioux you aren't referring to the other team, so you must be referring to the other meaning, namely SL and SR. And that's precisely what the NCAA does not want.
You make a good point. Because of that, I wonder how long Kelley will allow fans to show up to UND events wearing Sioux gear, and cheering for UND athletics? How long before the NCAA considers that de facto UND support of the Sioux nickname? Given the H & A list, it wouldn't surprise me if the NCAA ends up considering fans wearing Sioux gear as tatamount to wearing an obscene T-shirt.

This whole thing makes me sick.

You make a good point. Because of that, I wonder how long Kelley will allow fans to show up to UND events wearing Sioux gear, and cheering for UND athletics? How long before the NCAA considers that de facto UND support of the Sioux nickname? Given the H & A list, it wouldn't surprise me if the NCAA ends up considering fans wearing Sioux gear as tatamount to wearing an obscene T-shirt.

This whole thing makes me sick.

Its the same as me walking into a GFC game with my Redskins jacket. Or Dartmouth fans showing up in Indians gear. They WON'T ban fans from games or campus's for showing their old names or logos. Do they ban D.C. fans for showing up with Bullets jerseys instead of a Wizards jersey? No. Don't worry about it.

I don't see how they could ban wearing Sioux items at events. That would seem to me to have serious free speech and free expression issues. While I do think for the good of the entire state this issue needs to be put to rest, stopping people from wearing these items to a University event makes my liberal blood boil.

I dont' see how they could ban someone from wearing clothing bearing the logo, it would probably be a violation of your first amendment rights.

I dont' see how they could ban someone from wearing clothing bearing the logo, it would probably be a violation of your first amendment rights.

Not mention they would alienate a good deal of paying alums and others who will still be wearing Sioux gear for decades.

• Upvote 1

If you don't think they have any inclination to ban chants or stop people from wearing this or that, I suggest one look at what's going on at the U of Illinois and the "USA chant" last year or how "offended" some administrators have become with the ongoing chants of historical/traditional significance involving/mentioning/depicting the Chief. If you don't think that won't happen at UND, you're kidding yourself.