SiouxSports.com Forum

The Day the Fighting Sioux Died

Cratter

Can we have a moment of silence.

Wednesday is the last day that state law requires UND’s athletic teams to be called the Fighting Sioux, and UND officials are preparing a memorandum that will be circulated to all students, faculty and staff about how the transition will proceed.

Johnson said the memorandum will be distributed campus-wide by late this week or early next week. It likely will deal with various uses of the nickname and logo by athletic teams and non-athletic groups, events and campus businesses.

Some adjustments already have been made, but others will occur over the next four weeks or so.

Johnson said he has been working through UND’s website to remove some references to the nickname. Contemporary accounts that refer to “UND’s Fighting Sioux teams,” for example, have been or will be changed to “UND’s teams.”

from the Herald.

FightingSioux.com will be known as UNDsports.com

What a dark day in the proud and honored history of the Fighting Sioux name.

The part that upsets me the most is that the Seminoles get to keep their name with their tomahawk chops and white guy in war paint and full indian garb riding onto the field on a horse and stabbing the 50 yard line with a flaming spear.

• Upvote 2

This is the second death of the Fighting Sioux...the first was November 30, 2010...exactly 1 year ago today! :sad: February is when the new hockey jerseys will arrive, still curious on what they will look like. UND will now faze out the name until its offically retired on Dec. 31st, 2011.

What a dark day in the proud and honored history of the Fighting Sioux name.

The part that upsets me the most is that the Seminoles get to keep their name with their tomahawk chops and white guy in war paint and full indian garb riding onto the field on a horse and stabbing the 50 yard line with a flaming spear.

Gotta love the jackholes known as the NCAA. :sneaky:

No, the day was August 5, 2005.

In reality, FSU, Utah, and CMU are on life-support, dangling by the string called "the whims of tribal politics".

Or worse, dangling by the string called "what will the NCAA do next?" (aka the whims of academia-minded groupthinkers). The NCAA could decide to drop the "exception policy" tomorrow and they'd be stuck.

As much as this feels terrible, I'd rather deal with it now instead of continually be swingin' in the wind on a string.

^^^This times a 1000

• Upvote 1

In reality, FSU, Utah, and CMU are on life-support, dangling by the string called "the whims of tribal politics".

Or worse, dangling by the string called "what will the NCAA do next?" (aka the whims of academia-minded groupthinkers). The NCAA could decide to drop the "exception policy" tomorrow and they'd be stuck.

As much as this feels terrible, I'd rather deal with it now instead of continually be swingin' in the wind on a string.

This is the truth.

Time will help heal things.

Agreed.

If it makes anybody feel better the NC$$ is the subject of new litigation dealing with concussions in certain sports brought by a very good class action shop. :whistling:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/30/sports/ncaafootball/college-players-move-concussions-issue-into-the-courtroom.html?hpw

Couldn't agree more Sic.

I know there are fans of a certain school that would love to see UND still on the H&A list since we didn't meet the new nickname deadline because of the special session/State law, is there any word from the NCAA that they approve of the 3 year cooling off period and/or missing the lawsuit settlement deadline for a replacement name? IMO if the NCAA didn't like it they would have contacted the school, but an offical statement would be nice, and to assure that "other school" that UND is still in compliance with the NCAA.

Wouldn't be something if a new tribal council at say Central Michigan did not want CMU to use the Chippewa name and the NCAA was hit with another lawsuit from a different school.

I know there are fans of a certain school that would love to see UND still on the H&A list since we didn't meet the new nickname deadline because of the special session/State law, is there any word from the NCAA that they approve of the 3 year cooling off period and/or missing the lawsuit settlement deadline for a replacement name? IMO if the NCAA didn't like it they would have contacted the school, but an offical statement would be nice, and to assure that "other school" that UND is still in compliance with the NCAA.

I believe the NCAA wrote a letter to all NCAA schools encouraging them not to exclude UND for their schedules and that they were happy with the direction UND was going and felt that the legislature would over turn the law. I don't believe the NCAA is out to destroy UND, theyre just enforcing a stupid policy (only on select institutions).

well said, Sica

This won't be popular, but that statement is total B.S.

When the NCAA first came out with the Indian policy, it was for a total ban.

When the Florida and Utah congressional delegations began making noise, the NCAA went "OH !@#$".

Only after the NCAA found out that the Seminole and Ute tribes in those states support the names, did the NCAA turn around and use that support to protect Florida State and Utah. Florida State and Utah backed down, as did their congressional delegations.

In the meantime, the 80% of other affected schools were left dangling in the wind.

UND was on the NCAA's radar all of the time because of the Ralph, so special considerations (two tribal approvals) were sent its way.

Even if the Seminoles drop their approval, there is no way Florida State will ever lose their Seminole nickname.

The politicians in Florida would be ramming an antitrust lawsuit up the NCAA's ass so fast that the NCAA wouldn't know what hit them. Furthermore, Florida State, the ACC/SEC etc would use it as an excuse to leave the NCAA, and the NCAA would have nothing.

• Upvote 1

For sure a tough day. Let's go back and watch this video again. Hope it helps!

Everytime I return to Grand Forks and see just about every other person wearing Sioux gear I highly doubt the name will disappear anytime soon. My teen-aged daughter even commented on the large number of people throughout the community wearing Sioux clothing. Thanks for including the Sioux Pride van in the video. The website siouxpride.com will be around for awhile.
  • Upvote 2