SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

You said the committee chairman stated Oral Roberts was the first team left out of the field in 2012. That's false. They were one of six teams in the conversation for a spot that never even materialized. Quite a big difference. And while i don't think it is ridiculous to think that the Summit will get a 12 seed at some point, I'm curious when it has happened before? For sure not in the last decade.

Valpo would be the be last team to get a 12, so not in the decade.

What I said was based on this yahoo article.....

3.Oral Roberts (27-5, 17-1; RPI: 46): Committee chair Jeff Hathaway said Oral Roberts was the first team left out, which means the Summit League champs can blame Saint Bonaventure winning Sunday's A-10 tournament title game for their absence. That made the A-10 a four-bid league and robbed Oral Roberts of its spot in the field

http://sports.yahoo....-235101188.html

Valpo would be the be last team to get a 12, so not in the decade.

Just want to point out, the last time the Summit (Mid-Con) League got a 12 seed, its membership was:

Valpo

Buffalo

WIU

Troy State

Northeastern Illinois

UMKC

Chicago State

Central Connecticut St

YSU

And all you hear on this site is how great the new UND staff is. Their new OC is coming from a very mediocre (at best) D2 program.

Also, in case you haven't been paying attention, Your new HC Bubba has been coaching at and recruiting to an FCS school for the past 6 years and his team and defense hasn't exactly been setting the FCS on fire. I think I would put Mr. Kleiman's defenses up against Bubba's. I think Randy Hedberg made the right choice with which coaching staffs to join.

CK had little to do with the players he inherited on defense. All he did was maintain. Pretty sure a hell of alot of coaches could have coached that defense. They are doing some speculating on their staff, as is UND.

Also, Hedberg wasn't offered a job at UND, read into that.

CK had little to do with the players he inherited on defense. All he did was maintain. Pretty sure a hell of alot of coaches could have coached that defense. They are doing some speculating on their staff, as is UND.

Also, Hedberg wasn't offered a job at UND, read into that.

Yeah CK has NOTHING to do with any defense the last 3 years. Do you really believe yourself or is the jealousy just get the best of you. Hedberg's choice was easy....

BACK TO BACK TO BACK.......

The Bison keep pounding their chest about how good the Slummit is. Next year the Bison will battle for worst team in DI. What's the Slummits RPI next year?

The cupboard is bare. Saul wanted Shanks badly, as he doesn't have any bigs. Where are they gonna play while the BSA gets a redone?

Don't worry Bison fans will demand the MVC invite them in..ooops too late already happened on BV. Plus when NDSU chokes in the SL tournament they will demand the head of Saul Phillips.

Yeah CK has NOTHING to do with any defense the last 3 years. Do you really believe yourself or is the jealousy just get the best of you. Hedberg's choice was easy....

BACK TO BACK TO BACK.......

They won the NC the year before he became DC, meaning somebody else could do just as good of a job. Then, he inherited the best class in Bison history for the next two years (which he had nothing to do with recruiting) and did the same thing Hazelton did. You guys act like he was some defensive genius for winning with those players.

I am not saying he isn't a good defensive coordinator, he obviously is. But, taking on those defenses was hardly a tough gig.

Hedberg had no other choice, it was stay SIU or go to NDSU so he can get back in area. Don't you guys find it weird that he didn't join Bubba's staff?

Hedberg had no other choice, it was stay SIU or go to NDSU so he can get back in area. Don't you guys find it weird that he didn't join Bubba's staff?

Not at all, he worked with Bubba for the last 6 years. He didn't want any part of a Bubba lead program.

And why weren't Bubba's defenses up to par with NDSU's the last 6 years at SIU. He was recruiting to the same conference and was in a more advantageous location to recruit to. Seems like he should have been able to put together a very stout defense.

Not at all, he worked with Bubba for the last 6 years. He didn't want any part of a Bubba lead program.

Is not taking a job you're not offered along the same lines of not losing a kid because you pull his offer when you find out they are committing elsewhere? Just trying to follow your logic.

• Upvote 1

And why weren't Bubba's defenses up to par with NDSU's the last 6 years at SIU. He was recruiting to the same conference and was in a more advantageous location to recruit to. Seems like he should have been able to put together a very stout defense.

They obviously did not recruit as well as NDSU. That is all I can come up with.

You have no idea what you're talking about with Hedberg, whatsoever.

Just want to point out, the last time the Summit (Mid-Con) League got a 12 seed, its membership was:

Valpo

Buffalo

WIU

Troy State

Northeastern Illinois

UMKC

Chicago State

Central Connecticut St

YSU

All I can say is that the Summit has done a nice job in getting away from that model and building a solid footprint. That conference is a mess, talk about a travel nightmare.

They obviously did not recruit as well as NDSU. That is all I can come up with.

You have no idea what you're talking about with Hedberg, whatsoever.

And you do? I heard quite a bit from UND fans about Hedberg being a good candidate for the head coach at UND. Then it was speculated that he would be a good fit for an asst job after Bubba got it, now that he is at NDSU, he is a horrible coach.

And you do? I heard quite a bit from UND fans about Hedberg being a good candidate for the head coach at UND. Then it was speculated that he would be a good fit for an asst job after Bubba got it, now that he is at NDSU, he is a horrible coach.

Yes I do. I have no idea who you were talking to but he was never a candidate for any job at UND, he already coached here. He is a good QB coach, very average recruiter.

So tell us why Bubba didn't want Hedberg as an assistant if you have the inside story?

I dont need to tell you anything because you already know that Hedberg didnt want to come with Bubba, right?

The fact is Hedberg and Rudolph were HC and Off Coord. at St Cloud together. Bubba hired Rudolph as his second hire immediately after Schmidt. Why he chose him, only he could say.

I dont need to tell you anything because you already know that Hedberg didnt want to come with Bubba, right?

The fact is Hedberg and Rudolph were HC and Off Coord. at St Cloud together. Bubba hired Rudolph as his second hire immediately after Schmidt. Why he chose him, only he could say.

But you have the inside info and I don't. Fill us in.

Getting back to conference alignment....some questions about the future...

if the big BCS conferences break away in the coming years, how does that affect Big Sky, and Summit/MVFC schools? Will there be another massive round of conference juggling as the weaker FBS schools move to join the FCS ranks? Is the Big Sky better positioned than Summit schools, that currently have football in a different conference? Or won't it make any difference if/when the time comes?

Well of course!! All coaches are great until they start coaching at NDSU!!

• Upvote 1

Getting back to conference alignment....some questions about the future...

if the big BCS conferences break away in the coming years, how does that affect Big Sky, and Summit/MVFC schools? Will there be another massive round of conference juggling as the weaker FBS schools move to join the FCS ranks? Is the Big Sky better positioned than Summit schools, that currently have football in a different conference? Or won't it make any difference if/when the time comes?

The P5 of the FBS will be satisfied with paying an athlete stipend. The NCAA will likely give them more say in how rules are written in return for no causing a breakup, which would be ugly for everyone involved. Nobody wants a split. A lot of the basketball schools in FBS (Kansas, N Carolina, Syracuse, UCLA, Louisville, Duke) don't want to risk a breakup.

Everybody that has a chance to move up from FCS to FBS will do it, because FCS is a losing proposition both financially and national interest. The national media barely noticed that NDSU has won it three times. That proved to Delaware, JMU, and Missouri State to get out of FCS and move to the MAC. All three are supposedly negotiating with the MAC and ESPN on a new contract. Liberty, EKU, and Sam Houston St might get a Sun Belt invite, but that's it for this year. Maybe a basketball team or two (like Wichita St) could get a bid to a FBS league (MWC, American, or CUSA), but that's about it.

Actually he has baggage from his time in St. Cloud - at least one very bad decision regarding how he dealt with players - I believe he was suspended. Nothing outragous but it got him some very bad publicity.

The P5 of the FBS will be satisfied with paying an athlete stipend. The NCAA will likely give them more say in how rules are written in return for no causing a breakup, which would be ugly for everyone involved. Nobody wants a split. A lot of the basketball schools in FBS (Kansas, N Carolina, Syracuse, UCLA, Louisville, Duke) don't want to risk a breakup.

Everybody that has a chance to move up from FCS to FBS will do it, because FCS is a losing proposition both financially and national interest. The national media barely noticed that NDSU has won it three times. That proved to Delaware, JMU, and Missouri State to get out of FCS and move to the MAC. All three are supposedly negotiating with the MAC and ESPN on a new contract. Liberty, EKU, and Sam Houston St might get a Sun Belt invite, but that's it for this year. Maybe a basketball team or two (like Wichita St) could get a bid to a FBS league (MWC, American, or CUSA), but that's about it.

To bad the Big 12 can't get a third Kansas team in its conference for basketball in Witchita St.

If all 10 FBS conferences continue to be at 85 scholarship and play for a single national title, then no, teams will not be scrambling to move to the FBS. It will cost them $4 million, and for what? What does being FBS position you for if the FBS remains with 1 championship? If there is an FBS separation, some FCS teams will get the call. So . . . what's the rush? There is none.

Maybe JMU is serious, but I really doubt that MO State and Delaware are going anywhere. MO State should worry about attracting some fans and actually winning for a few years before even considering it.

Missouri State in just football or all sports? I can't see them leaving the MVC in other sports.