SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

The Mountain West was formed by 8 schools splitting from the 16 team WAC. Would those (now 12) teams be willing to form another 16 team conference?

The PAC 4 doesn’t have a large enough media package for MWC breakaway schools to recover their exit fees. Read an article that said the MWC’s media package was better than the PAC’s.

Sad times for college athletics fans in the western third of the country.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, zonadub said:

The Mountain West was formed by 8 schools splitting from the 16 team WAC. Would those (now 12) teams be willing to form another 16 team conference?

The PAC 4 doesn’t have a large enough media package for MWC breakaway schools to recover their exit fees. I think I saw an article that said the MWC’s media package was better than the PAC’s.

Sad times for college athletics fans in the western third of the country.

sad times but a lot of opportunities for schools that missed the FBS bus in the 70's to catchup....cough cough dak4

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

bet they just take the money from the dissolving pac 12 and do indy to figure things out

What money? There are no exit fees and the conference actually owes Comcast $50 million for overpayments. The only value that exists for the PAC is their P5 autonomy (for now) and NCAA credits. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

What money? There are no exit fees and the conference actually owes Comcast $50 million for overpayments. The only value that exists for the PAC is their P5 autonomy (for now) and NCAA credits. 

with all the success that the pac 12 has/had over the years they have no money in the pac 12 "bank"?  units from bball or anything?

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

It's the worst run conference in the history of collegiate sports.

that is totally true by the looks of it!...but i asked on here what happens if everyone leaves the mwc except wyoming...would wyoming get all the units/credits/name (mwc)...sica said at a certain point the conference just votes to dissolve and all go their seperate ways...i was assuming that at that point the conferences pays it's bills and then whatever is left over is distributed to the departing conf members....

so with all the success of the conference of champions has had......their debts far exceed the money in the pac 12 "bank"??? if so holy crap

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Nevertheless, it's still shocking that a conference that seemed to have everything going for it ... great schools, great locations, great academics, and success on the field ... could have fallen so far so fast. I see this as a step down for all the former Pac 10 schools. You would think that given the enormous collective intelligence and financial resources of the alumni of these schools, someone would have seen this coming and stepped in to prevent it.  

Wouldn’t it make sense for the B1G to now add Stanford and Cali at a reduced share a’la Oregon & Washington? Have those 6 as a western pod. (6 of the old PAC 8) Would reduce travel for Olympic Sports, yet allow for cross-division national matchups. 
Also would lock up California…

42 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Nevertheless, it's still shocking that a conference that seemed to have everything going for it ... great schools, great locations, great academics, and success on the field ... could have fallen so far so fast. I see this as a step down for all the former Pac 10 schools. You would think that given the enormous collective intelligence and financial resources of the alumni of these schools, someone would have seen this coming and stepped in to prevent it.  

Victim of location. Their states don’t care about sports for how populated they are. TV contracts proved that.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

When TX and OSU bolted for the SEC.  The Big12 commish reached out to the PAC12 commish on a meager.  PAC12 said no thanks.  That opened the door for Big10 and Big12 to start poaching.

The PAC right now:
- four teams that are about as disparate in the conference as could be: CaliStan and the xSUs. 
- no media deal to offer to potential new members
- $50M in debt to Comcast (because of billing mistake)
- $24.2M in assets (per 2021 IRS Form 990)
- whatever NCAAT credits they have 

A conference is just a non-profit corporation. It runs like any other non-profit business. It incorporates, it operates under by-laws, it can bankrupt, it can close. And it files a Form 990 if it doesn't want the IRS to come look for itself. 

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

or does the pac12 go nationwide

4 west

oregon st
wash st
stan (aau)
cal (aau)

4 midwest

rice (aau)
smu
tulane (aau)
memphis

4 east

usf (aau)
buffalo (aau)
temple
navy

I see six(!) AAC members at $18M buy-out per plus UB (MAC buy-out) and Navy. Your new consortium is starting off with over $100M in owed dollars to AAC/MAC before they hold an organizational meeting. And the "OG" bringing them in have no media deal and no money. 

Fail. 

Will Stanford stay virtually attached to Cal? Cal has a fiscal mess right now and their support of athletics has been lackluster recently. I think Stanford could survive as a FB indy with the rest in the WCC. Cal not so much. 

If the B1G offers CaliStan, it'll be less than UW/UO ($30M). That's just over the PAC Apple deal that was rejected July 31 that started everything on Aug 4; it barely pays Cal's $18M annual FB stadium debt payment. 

My take on the MWC: 

They played it right, even SDSU in the end. They held pat and the world will be coming to them. They have the only media deal in the west today. 

Their best option is to stay together and invite schools and buy the name asset of a defunct conference. But who'll join the MWC. Frankly, I don't see CaliStan associating with Boise State and Wyo and UNM. 

Adding just the PAC xSUs makes 12 and the MWC would be very stable. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Should the PAC try inviting part of the MWC that should be a big warning signal to Wyo and UNM. They will be odd-man out. 

The MWC by-laws say it's only majority vote to change by-laws or fold the conference. If the PAC4 wink-nudged (not tampered, oh no) ... USAFA, SDSU, CSU, SJSU, UNR, Hawaii ... that group of six could change the MWC to no exit fee and close the shop. Boise, Wyo, UNM, UNLR would be swinging in the wind. However, if the PAC4 pulled that move I think they'd swallow hard and take UNLV (for UNR) and also invite Gonzaga. 

My most likely outcome:

- someone (ACC, Ivy) throws CaliStan a bone; I don't see it being the B1G as they are likely waiting to see if FSU can break the ACC GOR. There would be some nice prizes there (UNC, UVa, FSU). 

- The PAC xSUs to the MWC to make 12.