SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at Fresno State

darell1976

Does anyone know why this game was scheduled?

Nothing wrong with a little national exposure. I'd rather have the Sioux travel to Fresno State and get killed then play a NAIA school at home.

This is the world of DI-AA football or FCS, whatever you want to call it. Teams like Fresno, Idaho, Texas Tech, etc. need games to fill their home schedules. They pay you to come out, and expect to beat you.

Unless you are the U of M, whose football program is so down at the moment you can't beat South Dakota. NDSU will beat them in a couple of weeks when they play, and they'll get paid to do it. :lol:

NDSU better not beat the Gophers or I swear I will blow a gasket. If the Gophers only win one game all year it better be that one. If they can't get revenge for the most humiliating loss in the history of Gopher football there is something severely wrong.

The gophers are a terrible DI-A team. I really don't care who wins that game. If NDSU is as good as advertised (and my NDSU grad brother tells me they are), they should beat a team in a stadium that will be half filled with their fans. Give Jerry Kill (I really hope he is okay, and all the prayers in the world to him) 3 years to turn that mess around because Brewster absolutely drove that thing into the ground.

The gophers are a terrible DI-A team. I really don't care who wins that game. If NDSU is as good as advertised (and my NDSU grad brother tells me they are), they should beat a team in a stadium that will be half filled with their fans. Give Jerry Kill (I really hope he is okay, and all the prayers in the world to him) 3 years to turn that mess around because Brewster absolutely drove that thing into the ground.

The Minnesota Gophers football program is a train wreck and they lost to a horrible team yesterday as well...

NDSU better not beat the Gophers or I swear I will blow a gasket. If the Gophers only win one game all year it better be that one. If they can't get revenge for the most humiliating loss in the history of Gopher football there is something severely wrong.

You haven't come to that conclusion already? Have you been paying attention? New Mexico State has won 5 games in 3 years and they looked terrible the previous week, but they threw it all over the field and the Gophers could get no pressure. That was a disaster of a home opener. Disaster.

UND will probably get thumped by Fresno State, but I would think that almost any FCS team would expect to get beat. I would also say it is tough right now to say how NDSU will fare once the Bison play MN and in the conference part of the season. These first two games don't really tell how they will fare against tough competition. I did not get a chance to see the Idaho game so I can't really comment. But, a loss to Fresno State doesn't say a whole lot about the Sioux Football team as it is just a money game played against what appears to be a decent FBS team.

That prediction sounds about right not because of how bad UND is but rather because of how good Fresno is. Fresno gave #10 Nebraska all they could handle last night before the Huskers finally put the game away in the 4th quarter.

UND is awful too. Fresno might be a decent team but who really knows, Nebraska has some issues at times for how good they are (close game with SDSU).

I don't have a lot of faith in UND's team right now after the way they played Idaho.

Yes, but they were able to hang in there for the full 4 quarters on the road vs. USC. I'm not sure yet which of these first two Gopher games was the abberation. If the team that played USC shows up vs. NDSU they will destroy the Bison, but if the team that laid an egg in their home opener shows up they could very easily lose again. The fact that the Bison have two weeks to prepare for this one does not sit well with me. ???

Wasn't it 19-3 at half?

Mason drove it into the ground long before Brewster came along. Brewster merely was unable to clean up the mess that he inherited.

Actually Glen Mason was the most successful coach the Gophs have had in a long time. Brewster is brutal, but I think in a couple years Kill will have them moving in the right direction.

Yes, but they were able to hang in there for the full 4 quarters on the road vs. USC. I'm not sure yet which of these first two Gopher games was the abberation. If the team that played USC shows up vs. NDSU they will destroy the Bison, but if the team that laid an egg in their home opener shows up they could very easily lose again. The fact that the Bison have two weeks to prepare for this one does not sit well with me. ???

I'm guessing USC was the aberration in that game.

Yes, on paper Fresno State should be able to name the score, but strange things happen sometimes. Look at last year--UND lost 23-17 to Northern Illinois, while Fresno lost to them 40-17. It's tough to explain how those results could have happened, but that's football. Sub-.500 SDSU only lost to then-6th-ranked Nebraska 17-3 last year. That shouldn't have happened. There are lots of other examples of huge mismatches on paper in which the score ended up being respectable for the underdog.

Fresno State could be in for a letdown after a huge game at Nebraska, and let's face it--their players are not going to take UND seriously at all after watching the film of last week's game. I'm certainly not saying UND will keep it close, but it wouldn't surprise me if the game is closer than last week's game ended up being, IF (and it's a big "if", I acknowledge) the UND offense can figure out a way to move the ball a little bit.

Actually Glen Mason was the most successful coach the Gophs have had in a long time. Brewster is brutal, but I think in a couple years Kill will have them moving in the right direction.

This is probably the last time I will feel confident going into a Minnesota/NDSU game. Glen Mason was not a bad coach if Minnesota fans were fine with 6-5 and 7-4 type seasons. Brewster ruinned everything. Kill should be able to at least fix some of the issues there.

UND will probably just have a rough time. You guys got a pretty young team in general dont you? Regardless, no UND squad they've had during the transition would stand up to what appears to be a pretty solid Fresno team.

I'm guessing USC was the aberration in that game.

Fresno State has too much speed and talented athletes for UND. However, UND will not be out-coached by Fresno. It is Fresno's first home game of the season so there should be a reasonable crowd.....after a long hot, boring summer Fresno fans are always anxious for the first home football game excuse to party. Those UND fans coming-out for the game I wish you a great time in Fresno. Fresno has a great variety of ethnic restaurants and the people are of mid-western culture and the the stereotypical Southern Cal glitz and yuppies or the Bay area liberals and eco-freak hippies.

In summary I don't see a snow-ball chance in hell UND defeating Fresno, but what the heck you never know? Ya'll losing to Idaho and by the amount you lost to Idaho (Idaho is a terrible, terrible D-1 team) makes me wonder if even the money is worth it.