SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Didn't take long for spurrier or Saban to leave the NFL. Pete Caroll didn't have success with the Jets either. Just because you are in the NFL doesn't mean you can't leave

They were all head coaches in the NFL. Tim Tibesar is not. Steve Spurrier had about 20 years experience as a head coach, most at the college level, before trying the pros. That was his only NFL coaching experience. Nick Saban had about 10 years of experience as a head coach in college before his brief time in the pros. At least he had some NFL experience before becoming a head coach. Pete Carroll had a second attempt as an NFL head coach before he went to the college level. None of these are similar to Tim Tibesar leaving the NFL after 1 year as an assistant. At least try to compare similar cases.

If Tibesar wants to stay in the NFL then I wish him the best. But that doesn't mean Faison shouldn't make a phone call. NFL coaches leave for college all the time and vice versa. He needs to be a candidate at the very least.

This...^^^^^^^^!

Again, this comes to what Tibesar's goals are. If his goal is NFL HC, then choosing to leave the league (I say "choose" because getting fired & taking whatever job you can get is another matter) doesn't help as much as continuing on the NFL coordinator path.

If you want Tibesar to UND, the best bet is to hope he gets fired and can't catch on with another team.

If Tibesar wants to stay in the NFL then I wish him the best. But that doesn't mean Faison shouldn't make a phone call. NFL coaches leave for college all the time and vice versa. He needs to be a candidate at the very least.

I'm afraid the phone call to Tim would be quite short. Bottom line Tim is not coming back to GF. Why are we so inbred with our coaching? We need to find the next Bohl! Not Bubba, Dale, or Tibesar.

I'm afraid the phone call to Tim would be quite short. Bottom line Tim is not coming back to GF. Why are we so inbred with our coaching? We need to find the next Bohl! Not Bubba, Dale, or Tibesar.

The problem with trying to find the next Bohl is that you may also end up with the next Babich or Brewster. Considering the success the UND football program had from the early 1990's to 2007, I think it's only natural people have a certain affinity for those partly responsible for that success. That's not to say that a complete outsider would necessarily be a bad thing, but to expect people to not even throw names around of coaches formerly associated in one way or another to UND or North Dakota is unrealistic.

The problem with trying to find the next Bohl is that you may also end up with the next Babich or Brewster. Considering the success the UND football program had from the early 1990's to 2007, I think it's only natural people have a certain affinity for those partly responsible for that success. That's not to say that a complete outsider would necessarily be a bad thing, but to expect people to not even throw names around of coaches formerly associated in one way or another to UND or North Dakota is unrealistic.

UND has other coaches not associated with UND, football shouldn't be an exception.

UND has other coaches not associated with UND, football shouldn't be an exception.

That's not the point. I'm just saying that the mere fact that somebody has a previous connection to the UND football program shouldn't be viewed somehow as a negative. That's different from saying it's a prerequisite to getting the job, which clearly it is not. And whether a school hires a complete outsider or not, there is still the very real possibility he could be a complete bust. You just don't know.

• Upvote 2

Not sure if it was this thread or another, but my thoughts were that Tibesar would be the only candidate out there who would be or should be qualified for the position who is an ex UND player.....certainly not that he should be the only candidate....I would hope that Faison is doing his due diligence at this point and has at least picked up the phone and called Tibesar to gauge possible interest and to get feedback from him on other possible candidates if he isn't interested. I would also hope that he has made a list of potential candidates that he would encourage to apply although he probably can't call them while we have a coach in place due to them being on other staffs, recruting reasons, etc.

That's not the point. I'm just saying that the mere fact that somebody has a previous connection to the UND football program shouldn't be viewed somehow as a negative. That's different from saying it's a prerequisite to getting the job, which clearly it is not. And whether a school hires a complete outsider or not, there is still the very real possibility he could be a complete bust. You just don't know.

Well said!

Just saying our coaching staff is very inbred. Oh yeah, I forgot......Brick by Brick.

Maybe it is time for some new bricks!

Also remember that Bohl wasn't NDSU's first choice for the job. It was offered to Terry Allen, current head coach at Missouri St. who at the moment are 1-6 on the year and has a career record of 27-45 since he started there. He didn't want to deal with the transition and turned it down, which is how Bohl ended up with the job.

Just saying our coaching staff is very inbred. Oh yeah, I forgot......Brick by Brick.

Bohl's first full time coaching job was with FU back in the '80s. A lot of their staff have FU ties as well.

If things go well its not a bad thing, when things aren't going well, its pretty easy to point at.

For the record, Craig Bohl did have a season on NDSU's staff in the 80's. He's not "one of us" at NDSU, but he wasn't a complete newbie to their program, either.

In the end it doesn't matter. Get the best coach (and staff) you can, regardless of where they went to school or coached in the past. UND connections do not need to be a prerequisite but also should not exclude anyone from being considered.

Your argument would be more compelling if anybody was saying that somebody on staff should be promoted. By your logic, when Gino was let go, hiring Blais was a mistake since he was a former UND assistant.

I really like Bubba Schweigert but I'm not sure he is a great choice for head coach. All situations are a little different but he was OK at UMD, not great. He is a great DC, but not all great coaches make good or great head coaches.

For the record, Craig Bohl did have a season on NDSU's staff in the 80's. He's not "one of us" at NDSU, but he wasn't a complete newbie to their program, either.

In the end it doesn't matter. Get the best coach (and staff) you can, regardless of where they went to school or coached in the past. UND connections do not need to be a prerequisite but also should not exclude anyone from being considered.

Exactly. If the better coaching staff is from out of state go for it. No law says he has to be from UND.

They are doing everything they can to save the season. But they don't know what they're doing or how to do it. There playcalling is very predictable even the armchair quarterbacks can guess what the next play is going to be

I would really like to see mollberg run the ball some as well as a screen pass or two to the rb's out of the back field. Something possible help slow the opposing teams pass rush.