SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Did you think UND would step into the playoffs as soon as they got playoff eligible? I certainly didn't and this season has raised all kinds of red flags with the coaching staff, but I figured we would struggle some. Are we seeing improvement? I thought we would this year but clearly I was wrong about that. The crazy thing to me is that if we would have moved up with the States, we would be better and neither of them would likely be as good as they are. UND had a lot of good reason not to transition then, but in hindsight it really hurt the football program and USD is feeling it as well.

I guess it depends on your timeframe.

When we went D1 and where our program was at the time in comparison to where NDSU was when they went....absolutely I expected us to make the playoffs our first year of eligibility as everyone should have.

• Upvote 1

All I know is that this program has regressed and deteriorated to its lowest point since 1986. Mussman is at the top of the food chain in the Memorial Stadium football offices and has been since 2008. That means the buck stops with him. That's how it works in the military and it's how it works in collegiate athletics. And unless this team somehow runs the table, I don't see him surviving.

Is that how it works in politics (Obama) ha!! Sorry not meaning to make this political. Just a poke a my buddy fightingsioux4life!!

I guess it depends on your timeframe.

When we went D1 and where our program was at the time in comparison to where NDSU was when they went....absolutely I expected us to make the playoffs our first year of eligibility as everyone should have.

Because we transitioned after the fact UND forfeited a lot of what was built up in terms of being the better team(success at the time). NDSU could go to a recruit and offer a D1 scholarship when we could not and that will sway most recruits by itself, but we finally move up and NDSU says we are playoff eligible and will be in the playoffs. Once again most recruits are going to like that a heck of a lot better than what UND had to offer at the time.

Because we transitioned after the fact UND forfeited a lot of what was built up in terms of being the better team(success at the time). NDSU could go to a recruit and offer a D1 scholarship when we could not and that will sway most recruits by itself, but we finally move up and NDSU says we are playoff eligible and will be in the playoffs. Once again most recruits are going to like that a heck of a lot better than what UND had to offer at the time.

And when UND lost to NDSU 12 straight years UND somehow found recruits to not only beat NDSU but get UND into the playoffs almost every single year. It takes more than recruits to win a game, it takes the right coaches to call the right plays. UND doesn't have that right now.

Are you familiar with the concept called "The Peter Principle"?

http://en.wikipedia....Peter_Principle

I believe Coach Mussman is a living, breathing embodiment of it: Yes, he was a successful OC, and got promoted to the level of his incompetence.

Exactly. He is just in way over his head as a HC...and his overall record coupled with some absolutely humiliating losses are evidence of this.

Exactly. He is just in way over his head as a HC...and his overall record coupled with some absolutely humiliating losses are evidence of this.

I loved Muss as offensive coordinator. He always seemed to have a knack for calling the right plays at the right times. But being head coach is a much different job and not all coordinators succeed as head coaches (the NFL is full of examples of this). Muss would be better off going to Carbondale and taking over Lennon's offense there; they certainly have struggled to score points since Lennon took over.

NFL position coaches average in the mid-$300's....so can we please just stop it with the Tibesar nonsense?

I certainly don't know Tibesar personally, but I have to think there are coaches out there--particularly those with young families--who might appreciate the lifestyle of a college head coach at $200k per year, give or take, with a much lower cost of living to boot, over making more in the NFL, but with absolutely no job security to speak of.

• Upvote 2

And when UND lost to NDSU 12 straight years UND somehow found recruits to not only beat NDSU but get UND into the playoffs almost every single year. It takes more than recruits to win a game, it takes the right coaches to call the right plays. UND doesn't have that right now.

Sure but it didn't happen in 1 or 2 years, it took twelve and at the time they were still both D2 schools, I hope you can see the difference. In hindsight, UND screwed itself by not moving up along with NDSU and SDSU but we couldn't really know it at the time.

I loved Muss as offensive coordinator. He always seemed to have a knack for calling the right plays at the right times. But being head coach is a much different job and not all coordinators succeed as head coaches (the NFL is full of examples of this). Muss would be better off going to Carbondale and taking over Lennon's offense there; they certainly have struggled to score points since Lennon took over.

I completely agree that many or most coaches really aren't cut out to be head coaches. It certainly looks and feels that way with Muss. Heck, the head coach usually does little or no coaching anyway. Most of the time they are a planner, organizer, manager and motivator.

I certainly don't know Tibesar personally, but I have to think there are coaches out there--particularly those with young families--who might appreciate the lifestyle of a college head coach at $200k per year, give or take, with a much lower cost of living to boot, over making more in the NFL, but with absolutely no job security to speak of.

No coaching jobs are all that secure! but I assume if he was brought in he would get at least 3 years.

The only hope I see is that it's his alma mater and just think if he came in here and turned things around quickly how much of a legend in UND history he would be. That would be tough to turn down in my opinion.

He's an alum, as is his wife, AND she is a Grand Forks native. For all I know she has no interest in moving back, but I believe she does still have family here, so it's certainly possible she would welcome such a move.

No coaching jobs are all that secure! but I assume if he was brought in he would get at least 3 years.

True, but there's still a world of difference in that regard between FCS and the NFL. I would guess he'd get a minimum of five years unless somehow things got worse than they currently are after the first three years.

It's interesting to think that had Tibesar stayed at UND for two more years, in all likelihood it would have been he, rather than Muss, who was promoted when Lennon left. What might have been...