SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Come on everybody, Muss isn't to blame here. The blowout against Montana was obviously caused by player errors and lack of support from the fans. Montana was really good so we should've never expected our team to actually compete with them. We really need to lower our expectations, I mean, this is only Muss's 6th year so I don't know why anybody would expect his team to be able to compete with other teams that are actually good. If we give him 3 more years he'll get it figured out. Also, if we fire Muss, who would we hire? It's not like there are any other football coaches out there who might be looking for more money or a program to put their stamp on.

You don't seem to get this. There won't be a change til the end of the season. We can either suck it up and play better despite the coaches or we can fold the tent and lose the advances we have made. There is nothing in my post defending the coaches, nor ignoring the problem. Deal with what we can control right now. I am more of a big picture guy. We need a cultural change with this program and the athletic dept. We can lose our hockey edge real fast. Going from the WCHA to the NCHC or whatever the heck it is will pose problems. Competing in the Big Sky for other sports is a challenge. To be successful we need fans, we need a product that is entertaining and will engage the fans. We need administration in the athletic dept and the University that has a vision and willingness to utilize intercollegiate athletics to attract students and help market what we do as a University. If our fans our going to wait until we win all of our games it makes it much more difficult. we are fans and need to do our part. We can be part of the solution or part of the problem. Dealing with the coaches is something that needs to be discussed by our University President and Athletic Director and they need to solve this problem. If you feel better whining and thrashing about or ranting about the failures of the team this year then go to it but quit expecting others to condemn all parts of what we have going.

This is a great University with tremendous Alumni support which includes athletics. We have great facilities that are getting better. I believe we have had two good recruiting classes and are making inroads in many areas. We have taken 3 recruits the AC wanted badly the last couple of years. Means to me, we are recrutiing better kids and we are getting better kids. There is a good foundation to build on. The time for the coaching change is at the end of the season unless there are behavior issues or something egregious. The fact that I don't want to quit on these kids or the program doesn't mean I am excusing the coaching. I can't fire or hire but I can donate $$ and I can go to the games and support these kids. As a fan, I am not going to quit on them and so I don't see reason to fuss about coaching changes until such time as it might do some good.

I spoke with Coach K, last year about the D - off the record.

Hey, if he said "off the record" you have no business quoting him here. Off the record means just that, no record of the conversation and you violated that trust. I can see why coaches are sometimes reluctant to talk.

Wait until the end of the season to make a move. No use jumping to any conclusions; not to mention, removing Mussman mid-season won't help a single thing. Unless we see some on the field changes during the remainder of the season, I believe Mussman should be relieved of his duties. Since being Big Sky members for one season and a fraction of another, we already have lost 55-17, 55-10, and 55-17 to Eastern Washington, Montana State, and Montana, respectively. Those are supposed to be conference opponents! Not games against Big 10 and Big 12 teams! This team has shown nothing of significance over the past 6 years. Unless some astonishing things happen during the remainder of this season, changes need to be made to conclude the year. I realize Faison doesn't care what people are saying on a fan forum, or possibly even what alumni and fans politely email him, but I can assure you he cares about attendance. If attendance hits rock bottom during a season the athletic department advertised as having the best schedule in FCS, I'm quite confident Faison will feel something has to change. In that case, I hope that change includes Mussman.

Muss, simply put, hasn't got the job done. Blow out losses. Terrible defense only to be followed the next year with another terrible defense. No running game. More bad defense. Poor adjustments. More bad defense.

This isn't about Muss having 1 rough season. This is trend analysis. The trend shows insufficient improvement. Time to find a replacement.

• Upvote 1

A team really doesn't gain anything by firing a coach mid season. What is to be gained by having an interim coach that likely will be dumped too? No doubt your program is in trouble and there seem to be significant issues with Mussman. But, what advantage is to be gained by a mid-season termination? You are going to wind up paying him anyway and right now no coaches are really on the market looking.

A defensive coordinator change is definitely needed. If the offense is humming, no need to change that, but the defense lacks toughness and proper assignments, that's on the DC's head. A great example is Texas. There defense was one of the best until losing Muschamp; now they're terrible. Is it all Mack Brown's fault? No. Do they now just have terrible defensive players? No. They need a change at DC to get their defense where they should be.

Don't be like every other idiot fanbase that thinks the magic answer is always fire the coach and start anew. This site calls for Hakstols head each and every year.

One thing about Hakstol is he took a hockey program that was up there from Blais and kept it flying high. He puts UND in sight of a NC by getting to the frozen four, Mussman took a UND team fresh of a playoff run from Lennon and has brought 2 losing seasons in his 5 full years of coaching and this teams looks like crap. Attendance is going to suck, the fanbase is going to get worse if we keep Muss and continue to be a near .500 team. 19 DI wins in 5+ years of coaching is not what I want to see.

A team really doesn't gain anything by firing a coach mid season. What is to be gained by having an interim coach that likely will be dumped too? No doubt your program is in trouble and there seem to be significant issues with Mussman. But, what advantage is to be gained by a mid-season termination? You are going to wind up paying him anyway and right now no coaches are really on the market looking.

If a coach is fired mid season, you appoint an interm coach to fulfill the duties until the end of the year so that you can hire a coach in the offseason when there is a bigger pool to choose from. While I don't think we should fire him mid season, I do think we simply cannot have him as a coach next season, and barring a miracle (making playoffs), he needs to be replaced.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me it wasn't all that long ago when NDSU had what was for them a horrible season (3-8 sound right?) and Bison fans were ready to throw Bohl and Vigen under the bus. Now some of these same fans are ready to order busts of said same to rise up out of the ground by the Fargodome. What happened? Well, we all know what happened. Let's not be hasty.

NDSU's first losing season in how long, Muss has had 2 in the last 3 years. Big difference. SU had a successful transition, we lost to Sioux Falls. SU went 6-5 and 3-8 in their first 2 years in the MVFC then made the playoffs in year three, is UND going to the playoffs next season, highly doubt it with this crappy defense and worthless coaching by Muss. I don't think we need to compare NDSU football to our football team, that itself is laughable.

man am I about to throw up right now while watching UND sports on midco... Mussman down playing everything...Saying just a with out few good play calls from them and we were in this game

Rooted in reality Muss is not... he might not be Brewster or Bohl but he makes you believe. :(

Remember right after the Griz game..."we have the potential to be a pretty good FB team". Pour me another glass Muss, pour me another glass!!

One thing that needs to be noted about the fans. When the hockey team is down big (3-0 or so) do the fans up and leave? He'll no they stay and try and help get the team going. When the football team makes one bad play the grumbling starts. Then if they go down by two scores fans start bailing. The SDSU game was a great example as was the USD game from 2011. This needs to change. Fans have more influence on a football game than any other sport. It's time for the fans to do their part to help the team succeed.

Let's put filters on Twitter, the ESPN box scores, and Mussman's post-game pressers while we're at it. Good Lord.

He makes a valid point. I know if I saw the type of crap that's being spewed on the board I would have second thoughts about letting my children be involved in UND athletics.

One thing that needs to be noted about the fans. When the hockey team is down big (3-0 or so) do the fans up and leave? He'll no they stay and try and help get the team going. When the football team makes one bad play the grumbling starts. Then if they go down by two scores fans start bailing. The SDSU game was a great example as was the USD game from 2011. This needs to change. Fans have more influence on a football game than any other sport. It's time for the fans to do their part to help the team succeed.

Even though I do agree with you to some extent, the football program has not earned the fans respect enough in my view (nor do they deserve it). When a winner gets put on the field people will show up. Until then, its on the school to produce a better product.

The only other way to achieve what you propose is to get a stadium built on campus. It would totally change the entire atmosphere of the program from top to bottom. However, that is the definition of a pipe dream.

If the hockey team hasn't reached the playoffs since 2007 I think some fans may bail early, especially if the team is getting crushed 5-0 or 6-0 by period 2 which is what Montana did to us, the REA would be getting empty.

Rooted in reality Muss is not... he might not be Brewster or Bohl but he makes you believe. :sad:

Remember right after the Griz game..."we have the potential to be a pretty good FB team". Pour me another glass Muss, pour me another glass!!

I think Muss has Jim Wacker syndrome. The Gophers would get beat 35-0 and Wacker would tell the media that if a couple of plays were different, they would have had a chance. Yeah, and pigs fly south for the winter. :silly:

He makes a valid point. I know if I saw the type of crap that's being spewed on the board I would have second thoughts about letting my children be involved in UND athletics.

What part? Getting a great education? Being on a great campus? Having top notch facilities? Playing in the best conference in FCS? I could go on. There is nothing wrong with having expectations. We expect to win, not just participate. I think recruits should be excited to be part of a program that cares and is not satisfied with being average.

Even though I do agree with you to some extent, the football program has not earned the fans respect enough in my view (nor do they deserve it). When a winner gets put on the field people will show up. Until then, its on the school to produce a better product.

The only other way to achieve what you propose is to get a stadium built on campus. It would totally change the entire atmosphere of the program from top to bottom. However, that is the definition of a pipe dream.

The 2011 team went 8-3 and won their conference. They just didn't play flashy football and won ugly. Winning isn't enough. Attendance was not good in 2011.

If the hockey team hasn't reached the playoffs since 2007 I think some fans may bail early, especially if the team is getting crushed 5-0 or 6-0 by period 2 which is what Montana did to us, the REA would be getting empty.

Making the playoffs is easier in hockey and if their season wasn't so long they would not be in the playoffs the way they play early in the season most years. Also the football couldn't make the playoffs during the transition so the point is invalid. And 6-0 in hockey is worse than 55-17 not by much but it is since it's harder to score in hockey.

If you can't stick out the game your not a real fan. It's crazy to give up on a team so early like most UND fans seem to do. I haven't been able to attend a home game is person since I graduated because I have lived across the country. I was at the SDSU game and what I saw was a bunch of fair weather d-bag fans. UND scores in the second half and clearly has the momentum and people walk out. Even if you think the game is out of hand, why would you leave in the 3rd quarter when the team has started to pick it up?

UND football hasn't been eligible for the playoffs until last season, not really a fair or accurate way to compare.