SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

How much of a factor should attendance play into evaluating a coach? Specifically, I'm afraid this past Saturday's debacle is going to ruin attendance for the rest of the season. If per game attendance goes down this year, even with the best home schedule ever, it would obviously be a huge red flag to any a.d.

The following are the attendance figures for the five homecoming games UND has played under Muss:

2008--12,164

2009--12,431

2010--10,215

2011--9,930

2012--9,742

Even with EWU coming in--the best homecoming opponent UND has had in years, if not ever--I'm afraid we may see attendance in the 7000's or worse if UND is blown out by MSU.

It was well publicized in Fargo that from the beginning Bohl had payment incentives written into his contract to pay him for attendance benchmarks. Even before this class went on their run, Bohl was everywhere cheerleading the public to get to games.

How much of a factor should attendance play into evaluating a coach? Specifically, I'm afraid this past Saturday's debacle is going to ruin attendance for the rest of the season. If per game attendance goes down this year, even with the best home schedule ever, it would obviously be a huge red flag to any a.d.

The following are the attendance figures for the five homecoming games UND has played under Muss:

2008--12,164

2009--12,431

2010--10,215

2011--9,930

2012--9,742

Even with EWU coming in--the best homecoming opponent UND has had in years, if not ever--I'm afraid we may see attendance in the 7000's or worse if UND is blown out by MSU.

That EWU game is sandwiched between the hockey team's opening series Friday and Saturday nights...better be more than 7K.

I have been patient, and pumped this football team up around everyone I can. I have defended the team, used all of the reasons (excuses?) that others have mentioned for being patient. I have lost all respect for Mussman, Saturdays performance on the field and his players goofing around the way they did while getting whooped was the last straw for me. I don't know who should replace him, I don't know if it is right to fire a guy this early in the season. All I know is:

FIRE MUSSMAN.

If you thought this thread was getting a lot of traffic now....Wait till after the Homecoming game after our 3 consecutive blowout loss at home!! I will try to stay possitive, but realistically, that is not out of the question.

2008--12,164

2009--12,431

2010--10,215

2011--9,930

2012--9,742

Homecoming draws several thousand fans from out of town that only get to one game a year - they will top 9,000.

Homecoming draws several thousand fans from out of town that only get to one game a year - they will top 9,000.

The downward trend has been pretty clear in recent years. And that was before some of the debacles we've seen in the last ten games. I still say that one more game along the lines of what we saw last week will result in a significant drop in attendance compared to last season's homecoming game, similar to the drop from 2009 to 2010. I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: If somebody had said five years ago that a September home game against Montana would draw fewer than 10,000, would you have believed it? I certainly would not have. We used to draw a lot more than that for games against UMC.

That EWU game is sandwiched between the hockey team's opening series Friday and Saturday nights...better be more than 7K.

There's a lot of people like me who show up for the hockey/football weekends because you get a lot of bang for your buck, I bet the crowd will be pretty decent.

• Upvote 1

If anyone's curious, here's Mussman's W-L during his HC tenure:

2008: 6-5 overall; 2-4 vs. FCS

2009: 6-5 overall; 5-3 vs. FCS

2010: 3-8 overall; 2-6 vs. FCS

2011: 8-3 overall; 5-1 vs. FCS

2012: 5-6 overall; 4-5 vs. FCS

2013: 1-2 overall: 1-2 vs. FCS

Overall: 29-29 vs. FCS: 19-21

Big Sky era:

Overall: 6-8 vs. FCS: 5-7

Faison has to open up the pocket book for our next coaching staff. I don't care how much paying football coaches makes Hakstol cry but it's time the university starts getting serious about the football program. I'd like our next coach to be someone with Division I level coaching experience. I don't want to waste time while a Division II staff tries to figure out what kind of athletes they need to play at this level. We did that already and have failed miserably.

I hate saying this but we should make a push to hire either Vigen or the D-Coordinator at NDSU. I hate everything about that program but they know how to win and would at least have a clue about how to build a program here.

How does the Hockey coach have any effect on the Football coach??? The Athletic Department decides how much to spend and if anything be happy the Hockey programs around so you could actually pay the football coach without asking the state to come up with the money!

I still say, wait until the season is over and then review. You need to look at the full body of work. None of us know the full story - plus sometimes you have games that are just bad. You go back to work and make sure it does not happen again. I will review at the end of the season.

I still say, wait until the season is over and then review. You need to look at the full body of work. None of us know the full story - plus sometimes you have games that are just bad. You go back to work and make sure it does not happen again. I will review at the end of the season.

No you don't just have games that bad unless you are bad. For reference, the last time craig bohl lost by more than 15 points ( 2 scores) was 2005. How many times have we got just killed in the last two years? How much more of a sample size do you need to see a full body of work?

• Upvote 3

No you don't just have games that bad unless you are bad. For reference, the last time craig bohl lost by more than 15 points ( 2 scores) was 2005. How many times have we got just killed in the last two years? How much more of a sample size do you need to see a full body of work?

I can think of 3 games and in reference to the body of work - I am talking about this season. I want to see how the season goes and I will take a look at it at the end of the year.

Amazing considering what this program has become accustomed to.

Solid stat work there, too.

I think that's what was said last year after Eastern Washington and Montana State. Well - I suppose we could move the bar a little lower again.

As far as body of work I was including the rest of his awe inspiring run as head ball coach.

Fine, you can look at the transitional period. I am choosing to look at this season. It is off to a bad start, I was expecting a slow start giving an inexperienced QB and a defense that is going to take a another year or two to fix - unless you go with a heavy JUCO/drop down approached. Based on the recruiting last year and this summer and the lack of significant drop downs or JUCOs. It is clear the coaches are going to rebuild the defense with 4 year players. That is going to take time. So, I was not optimistic about a major change on the defensive side of the ball. Overall, I felt like this was going to be a .500 team and they might be able to win one of the four major home games.

Notice what the Griz did to rebuild the offense - two major drop downs - one a Florida commit who ended up at Marshall and was Conference USA Freshman of the Year who is now at Montana, a stud receiver from Washington and they reinstated a QB. Quick question how do you go from a Florida recruit to Montana in a couple of years - the guy has got some baggage. It does not mean he isn't a good guy, but he is a risk. Do we want UND to take those types of risks? Or do we want to take a patience long term approach and build from within. Again, it is clear - UND is rebuilding from within and I support that approach and it is going to take a couple of years to do that... I am fine with that..

Fine, you can look at the transitional period. I am choosing to look at this season. It is off to a bad start, I was expecting a slow start giving an inexperienced QB and a defense that is going to take a another year or two to fix - unless you go with a heavy JUCO/drop down approached. Based on the recruiting last year and this summer and the lack of significant drop downs or JUCOs. It is clear the coaches are going to rebuild the defense with 4 year players. That is going to take time. So, I was not optimistic about a major change on the defensive side of the ball. Overall, I felt like this was going to be a .500 team and they might be able to win one of the four major home games.

Notice what the Griz did to rebuild the offense - two major drop downs - one a Florida commit who ended up at Marshall and was Conference USA Freshman of the Year who is now at Montana, a stud receiver from Washington and they reinstated a QB. Quick question how do you go from a Florida recruit to Montana in a couple of years - the guy has got some baggage. It does not mean he isn't a good guy, but he is a risk. Do we want UND to take those types of risks? Or do we want to take a patience long term approach and build from within. Again, it is clear - UND is rebuilding from within and I support that approach and it is going to take a couple of years to do that... I am fine with that..

Where do I start with all of this and everything else you posted today in this thread???

Wow...

Nice, hey I am not saying I am happy with results on the field - far from it.

But to try and rationalize anything other than this program is close to going in the tank...mostly due to the lack of direction, discipline and leadership from its HC ...is absurd.

Fire away.. I can handle it. just saying let the season play out.

Play out?? To what??? 6-5 with 3 a** kickings (2 more to come) and then justify that it wasn't a step back and progress was made compared to last year???

Play out?? To what??? 6-5 with 3 a** kickings (2 more to come) and then justify that it wasn't a step back and progress was made compared to last year???

I predict that if we finish at 6-5, even this three rump kickings, that Mussman will be back next year. Faison doesn't seem to be in any hurry to make changes. If he was, he wouldn't have giving Muss an extension last year.

Really, I'd be surprised if we go 6-5. I don't think this sorry ass team is capable of that.

Nice, hey I am not saying I am happy with results on the field - far from it.

You aren't happy about the program.....but you think this regime should get more time, even with the sorry record we have posted against ranked FCS teams during the past 5 years? That was what the photo was for, you are kidding yourself if you think things are going to get better before they get worse.