SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

No its not. Serge is a hall of famer and isn't hanging out on the sideline. I would buy the guy a ticket. I don't want guys on the sideline who don't belong there. Very few exceptions such as a kid with cancer etc. Give the guy a job with the equipment manager and give him a purpose for being there. We did that when I was coaching with a similar situation and they guy worked his butt off and belonged. A casual fan has no business there. He hasn't missed tackles nor has he thrown interceptions so I don't think he is the cause of the problems, but if you want sideline discipline then you need to minimize distractions. You can't have fans wandering around talking to players during games. Make up your mind. You want sideline discipline then get serious. You either have a purpose for being there or you don't belong. My son-in-law played for the Cowboys for 8 years and a lot of people thought Jerry Jones was a sideline distraction at times and he certainly had a right to be there.

He was down there when we were a perennial power that prided itself on discipline. He belongs.

Would everyone please stop suggesting old und coaches and former players as potential applicants!!! Thats how we got here in the first place! Holy crap! If we are going to be a division I program that starts with division I experienced coaches. As far as the behavior of the players on the sidelines i totally agree with everyone. They simply dont care. Im not even sure if #95 actually knew there was a football game being played. Totally sickening wasting my money on watching that clown show yesterday. Muss MUST go!!!!

• Upvote 2

Would everyone please stop suggesting old und coaches and former players as potential applicants!!! Thats how we got here in the first place! Holy crap! If we are going to be a division I program that starts with division I experienced coaches.

this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was down there when we were a perennial power that prided itself on discipline. He belongs.

Lets drop this. Not this guys fault UND got beat. I have never believed in letting fans on the sidelines and there are better ways to make him feel part of the team. How many more fans can come and go. It is just a philosophy and culture that game time is for the team and coaches. We need to fix more important things than a fans on the sidelines but I thought people wanted to clean up the sideline and keeping fans in the stands is only a very small part of it so I'll give you this one.

Would everyone please stop suggesting old und coaches and former players as potential applicants!!! Thats how we got here in the first place! Holy crap! If we are going to be a division I program that starts with division I experienced coaches. As far as the behavior of the players on the sidelines i totally agree with everyone. They simply dont care. Im not even sure if #95 actually knew there was a football game being played. Totally sickening wasting my money on watching that clown show yesterday. Muss MUST go!!!!

I was on the catwalk for the game. What was he doing? He's the transfer from Valley City St.

They need to take some pressure off the qbs. They're putting way too much on their plate, I don't care how talented they may be they're still freshman. Force the run til it works. Find a combo that works. Maybe slide walker over to guard and go from there.

Force the run until it works? Sounds like hitting your head against a brick wall until you make a hole to get through. You can't run the ball if you can't get a push up front. Right now, our OL gets knocked around most running play. Plus, you can't run every down when you're already down a couple TDs at the end of the 1st quarter and you're facing 1st &15 and 2&15 due to procedural penalties and lack of discipline. After MSU and EWU, everyone, including yourself, should notice there's no hope for this season. Or any other season Mussman tries to 'lead' and coach this team. He can't prepare a team because his players don't respect him and/or play hard for him. His leadership skills are horrific. It's that simple. And I guess our line of scrimmage and defensive players are not top tier talent. Need improvements in recruiting, including general philosophy/emphasis.

Force the run until it works? Sounds like hitting your head against a brick wall until you make a hole to get through. You can't run the ball if you can't get a push up front. Right now, our OL gets knocked around most running play. Plus, you can't run every down when you're already down a couple TDs at the end of the 1st quarter and you're facing 1st &15 and 2&15 due to procedural penalties and lack of discipline. After MSU and EWU, everyone, including yourself, should notice there's no hope for this season. Or any other season Mussman tries to 'lead' and coach this team. He can't prepare a team because his players don't respect him and/or play hard for him. His leadership skills are horrific. It's that simple. And I guess our line of scrimmage and defensive players are not top tier talent. Need improvements in recruiting, including general philosophy/emphasis.

The best way to get a line going is the pound the rock. It's better than throwing an int when we pass too much. I'm not saying it will work but linemen love to run block and why not invest more in the run game. If it works at all the team will be better off as a whole.

I don't think any of the suggestions would be what I would ideally choose but both coaches brought up are division 1 experienced coaches. In fact one is a current NFL coach if that makes you feel any better.

The best way to get a line going is the pound the rock. It's better than throwing an int when we pass too much. I'm not saying it will work but linemen love to run block and why not invest more in the run game. If it works at all the team will be better off as a whole.

As of right now, changing the general game plan is really irrelevant. When new leadership is put into place and a scheme/recruiting plan featuring tough, physical players is actually emphasized, then this team will be better off as a whole and actually compete for a Big Sky championship and an FCS playoff run. This season, with the current players and leadership in place, there's likely no playoffs (or even a winning season, for that matter!). When UND can once again consistently run the ball and stop the run (which requires proper tackling!) , then UND football is back to where it belongs.

• Upvote 1

I caught Muss talking to Tim and Swig this morning. A couple of things he said troubled me. They asked him what the schedule was for the team since they had no game this coming week. He said they would have practice today, Tuesday and Wednesday…then would have no practice Thursday and Friday and was giving the team the weekend off. After getting absolutely pounded on Saturday, I think that maybe working the guys a little hard this week would probably be a good idea. I get that they need some time off after a tough week, but with no game this Saturday, they should have plenty of rest this weekend. Don’t understand the 2 days off this week.

Second, I think Tim asked Muss when they start planning for Montana St. He said they will start looking at film “later this week.” Maybe it was the ho hum, relaxed way he said it, but with the ways things went Saturday, I would hope he would have said that he was already looking at tape after Saturdays game and is diligently preparing for a tough opponent. On many occasions Muss has been out coached on the field. You would think with an extra week, he would try to gain some sort of advantage with two weeks to prepare for a team. Maybe he is preparing like crazy and is working the guys hard at proactive. But the way he comes off, and the way the team performs on the field versus tough competition, I just don’t see the urgency to get these guys prepared.

I get it that we have a tough schedule. But we can’t use that as excuse to get outplayed. At least be competitive. We are playing with the big boys now. And I just don’t thing Muss and his staff have what it takes. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

I get it that we have a tough schedule. But we can’t use that as excuse to get outplayed. At least be competitive. We are playing with the big boys now. And I just don’t thing Muss and his staff have what it takes. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

Trust me they won't.

• Upvote 1

I caught Muss talking to Tim and Swig this morning. A couple of things he said troubled me. They asked him what the schedule was for the team since they had no game this coming week. He said they would have practice today, Tuesday and Wednesday…then would have no practice Thursday and Friday and was giving the team the weekend off. After getting absolutely pounded on Saturday, I think that maybe working the guys a little hard this week would probably be a good idea. I get that they need some time off after a tough week, but with no game this Saturday, they should have plenty of rest this weekend. Don’t understand the 2 days off this week.

Second, I think Tim asked Muss when they start planning for Montana St. He said they will start looking at film “later this week.” Maybe it was the ho hum, relaxed way he said it, but with the ways things went Saturday, I would hope he would have said that he was already looking at tape after Saturdays game and is diligently preparing for a tough opponent. On many occasions Muss has been out coached on the field. You would think with an extra week, he would try to gain some sort of advantage with two weeks to prepare for a team. Maybe he is preparing like crazy and is working the guys hard at proactive. But the way he comes off, and the way the team performs on the field versus tough competition, I just don’t see the urgency to get these guys prepared.

For the most part, I agree with what you said. In regards to the practice schedule, I'm not too against it, just because this team needs rest and I'm not sure practicing hard an extra week would really have any effect on the MSU game. Now, on the preparation front, I don't think there is any question Mussman consistently gets out-prepared by the opposing coaching staff. Ever since he started his tenure as HC, it's been noticeable that his teams lack emotion (at least towards the game) just as he does. Furthermore, there isn't a swagger present that the good ones seem to have. Whether that swagger is expressed out loud or it's a quiet confidence, all the good ones seem to have some shape or form of that. The approach to FBS teams and good FCS teams is quite indicative of that. I understand respecting a good opponent, because over confidence and arrogance rarely helps anything, but it would be nice to hear Mussman talk about his team's capability once and while rather than brag up the opponent. As far as X's and O's go, I think this team is OK, but adjustments could be made there too. If I had to point out two major areas of concern, and they've been present for the past 5 years, it would be Mussman's leadership and the team's general direction. His teams don't play confident and smart, and UND's line of scrimmage players are outclassed in this conference.

The coaches will have been already watching film on MSU. The players probably won't until later in the week like he said. They need to break the film down before watching it with players.

I will bet you whatever you wish they are already looking at film for Montana State. I think we have been outplayed as much as outcoached and Im not sticking up for anyone but you can't game plan if your o-line doesn't block, and our defense can't stop a sneeze. That is a coaching issue that starts before the game strategy and adjustments.Overall the past couple of years I think out coaching strategy has been decent. Getting kids to play better and being more disciplined is the most important part of coaching for us right now. If we can't get that done it doesn't matter what schemes or adjustments we make.

Ira has made this point well before in other discussions. They don't have a uniquely tough schedule. This is the BSC schedule they will have pretty much every year, and this year they have the good fortune of the most difficult teams at home.

No one is coming to the rescue to fix everything for this team, change the schedule, or change conferences. This is it. They either get better or they don't.

• Upvote 2

I think Shantel Rivard (women's hockey) was dismissed in the middle of a season by Tom Buning. One of the few good decisions he made.

Then Tom proceeded to celebrate his decision with a 100 push-ups!

• Upvote 4

I have given Muss the benifit of the doubt up until now, but Saturday may have been my breaking point. Look at our record against D1 teams in his tenure and the number of ranked teams we have beaten and compare that to other FCS programs around th country. Being a head coach is not just about getting guys you have ready for the game. It's getting the right guys to commit and getting the right assistants to coach these guys to execute on the field. When your signature win as a coach is a game where you were outplayed for 3 quarters and came back against South Dakota, that doesn't really impress to many people.

Like Matt said...this is going to be the schedule year in and year out with UND playing several top 10 teams. If Muss can't get it done, I hope Faison is not afraid to replace Muss before his contract is up.

• Upvote 2

How much of a factor should attendance play into evaluating a coach? Specifically, I'm afraid this past Saturday's debacle is going to ruin attendance for the rest of the season. If per game attendance goes down this year, even with the best home schedule ever, it would obviously be a huge red flag to any a.d.

The following are the attendance figures for the five homecoming games UND has played under Muss:

2008--12,164

2009--12,431

2010--10,215

2011--9,930

2012--9,742

Even with EWU coming in--the best homecoming opponent UND has had in years, if not ever--I'm afraid we may see attendance in the 7000's or worse if UND is blown out by MSU.